U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 12:13 PM

823 posts, read 506,334 times

Advertisements

Cloudcroft- Ruidoso -Bent are all nice and reasonable in the summer- Cloudcroft has really thin air being so high up though.

It looks like on some national weather maps -right west of Mora there are rainy and cooler places. What the hell is there ? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 12:57 PM

73,804 posts, read 65,476,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Cloudcroft- Ruidoso -Bent are all nice and reasonable in the summer- Cloudcroft has really thin air being so high up though.

It looks like on some national weather maps -right west of Mora there are rainy and cooler places. What the hell is there ? LOL
Well, if you don't mind the altitude, you could consider Los Alamos.It's definitely cooler up there, and the town has a lot of amenities. (Cloudcroft is only a few hundred people, population.) And after over a decade of ver hot summers, and dwindling rain during what used to be serious monsoon season in summer, at the last 2 or 3 summers have seen a subtle cooling trend, with somewhat more rain. Don't ask me to explain it, I just notice it.

Climatologists say the area will get drier, but if you think about it, that might not be true. If the result of climate warming will be more evaporation from the oceans, including the Gulf of Mexico, that would tend to cause heavier monsoons, not weaker.

Anyway, depending on what you're looking for, you might like Los Alamos. It's said that Taos is slightly cooler than Santa Fe in summers, but the difference is barely noticeable, I've been tracking it.

What's this temp and rainfall map you're suing, btw? Could you post a link? Sounds interesting.

Oh, and one more note. NM is the 2nd most active lightning corridor in the US, after the Florida Panhandle. Just a heads-up, in case you have a thing about lightning.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:46 PM

823 posts, read 506,334 times
I just googled for the maps "Precipitation Maps New Mexico" Temp etc surfed so far before I found what I wanted.

Gascon NM seems to have perhaps the best climate if one likes rain and summer highs in the 70's.

We have a house in Bent NM and its not bad there but still low 80's.

I've been checking the entire country for tbe best summer places. This assumes low 70's, not too expensive and not too many insects and not too too far from El Paso. I also want green meaning rainfall,. SW Washington State wins-love it there but its far from our primary home in El Paso. Parts of West Virginia too. Maine , Nova Scotia etc would be fine but for the black biting flies.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:32 AM

3,622 posts, read 7,379,743 times
For summers only, cold and rainy in NM says Angel Fire and Eagle Nest to me. Red River a close second.

Gascon (had to look it up even though I'd been there) is near Rociada which is near Las Vegas. Also very wet and cool there. Forager's paradise if you can nail the timing just right. Never seen so many mushrooms.

Looking for rainy and cool summers but having to stay in NM with your search seems a little silly to me. Even the wettest coolest places in state are easily surpassed once you cross a border in any number of directions.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:43 AM

5,030 posts, read 9,004,714 times
Reading the title of your thread, I was going to respond with Mora, which is probably one of the rainier areas in New Mexico. It is mountains and small villages. Bitterly cold winters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I've been checking the entire country for tbe best summer places. This assumes low 70's, not too expensive and not too many insects and not too too far from El Paso. I also want green meaning rainfall,.
The Holy Cross Wildnerness in Colorado has substantial rainfall, which means that adjacent towns might be receiving some of that as well.

Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
For summers only, cold and rainy in NM says Angel Fire and Eagle Nest to me. Red River a close second.

Gascon (had to look it up even though I'd been there) is near Rociada which is near Las Vegas. Also very wet and cool there. Forager's paradise if you can nail the timing just right. Never seen so many mushrooms.

Looking for rainy and cool summers but having to stay in NM with your search seems a little silly to me. Even the wettest coolest places in state are easily surpassed once you cross a border in any number of directions.
There are places in NM that are cool in the summers? 70's-cool? That's a new one to me. Are you sure? lol. Hard to believe.

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

24,372 posts, read 39,401,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are places in NM that are cool in the summers? 70's-cool? That's a new one to me. Are you sure? lol. Hard to believe.
Average Albuquerque temperatures, Low F:
62 June
66 July
65 August
58 September
If there is a breeze, or if is cloudy, it makes it better... I walk the dogs in long pants early in the day.

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

Those look like night-time averages, vs. daytime averages. USA Today says about Albuquerque summer temps, that June through August, the average daytime highs are between 89/90 and 92/93 degrees. Average, means there are days that are higher than 93, as well as some that are lower.

Meanwhile, in Gascon, the average summer highs are in the mid-70's. That's amazing!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; Yesterday at 11:14 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

24,372 posts, read 39,401,386 times
Quote:
Those look like night-time averages, vs. daytime averages. USA Today says about Albuquerque summer temps, that June through August, the average daytime highs are between 89/90 and 92/93 degrees. Average, means there are days that are higher than 93, as well as some that are lower.

Meanwhile, in Gascon, the average summer highs are in the mid-70's. That's amazing!
You originally stated:

Quote:
I got the numbers from:

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

3,622 posts, read 7,379,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I walk the dogs in long pants early in the day.
Wait, what? You put pants on your dogs? I didn't know they made dog pants. This I must see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or