U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:01 AM

16,267 posts, read 20,362,712 times

Advertisements

It's been a few years since I've been through Clayton but here's my take--

It's a pretty long drive for a sizable grocery store, it's about 130 miles to Amarillo, where you have a Sam's Club on the west end of town just off Interstate 40. Going west you actually would have to travel 90 miles to Raton and then north to Trinidad, Colorado where there is a Walmart. I spent the night in Raton a year ago last July and was surprised to see the Kroger store (City Market) had closed. There was a K-Mart still open (believe it or not) but I would imagine most everyone who lives there goes to Walmart.

Clayton is the county seat of Union County. It does have a medical clinic there. Not sure about the amount of doctors there though. Obviously a big employer there would be the detention facility which is just a few miles south of town. Stayed the night there once at the Clayton Motel many years ago, talked to a fair amount of folks who were pretty friendly.

I'm going to send a direct message to a City data member who lived there for years until a few years ago. Hopefully he can give you some information on what's going on there at this time.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 11:25 AM

11 posts, read 1,543 times
Thank you Zoid and HH.... that information about the climate..... I wasn't sure about the mountain side being the cold, damp side, or being quite that far away from other slightly larger cities. Small town is good, but I can currently be 30 minutes from almost anything I need. I will need to investigate further. Thank you!

Old 12-18-2018, 12:14 AM

7,509 posts, read 16,076,029 times
Hey cvan, I lived in Clayton for a few years. Some of the links provided are old, like the gun show no longer happens etc.
clayton-nm.com is done by the community development corporation so the info should be pretty accurate but not 100% as I know theyve had changes and dont think its updated much anymore.

The medical services are pretty good in Clayton as far as a small town goes. The Doctors are good and you can get minor procedures done but for anything major youll always be shipped to Amarillo or Burque.

The hardest thing about the town is no major shopping so if you need something you travel to Dumas or Amarillo, hour and a half to two hours away and there is (was) no such thing as two day shipping haha. The grocery store is great if you ask me, Brian (the owner) has always been great with prices and new products and the meat dept is really good. There is decent restaurants but youll get the best food out of a taco truck, they have the eklund etc, worth the visit but still has slow service.

Weather wise its super windy for a couple of months in spring and pretty windy alot of the time the rest of the year. Because its so dry youre eating alot of dust. Winter is bitter cold at times but it sounds like that will be a walk in the park for you as it is!

If youre looking for a sleepy town to lay your head for retirement in winter then it would probably fit the bill ... but like I said shopping and some services can be quite a distance away.

Do you have any specific needs you want to know about or any other questions ?

Old 12-18-2018, 02:39 PM

Thank you, BrianH...... that is some good information from a local perspective........ from my research, and some of the brochures from Clayton, it appears to be about what is advertised. Major shopping is no big deal, and the idea of a small, friendly but laid back holds a lot of appeal. The housing seems to be fairly affordable, I like the fact that there are many locally owned businesses as well as churches and a local community bank. The plan is to try to visit in the next six months to a year and see if I like the area.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:21 AM

8,001 posts, read 16,909,186 times
I spent two days in Clayton last August, driving back from St. Louis. We arrived at 8:00, and the only restaurant that served beer and wine was closing its doors. That restaurant was in the Hotel Eklund. We were able to dine at the 87 restaurant as it was open until 9. The highlight of our stay was coffee the following morning at Mock's Crossroads. These small business owners were ranchers until they went in this direction, and I will tell you, it seemed to be the bedrock of the center of town. We stayed there for a little under an hour, and our observation was that every single customer coming in was a long distance traveler, getting coffee to go, as it was August, we saw two other parties bringing in college aged kids who were taking the trek from home to their college. It was a sight to behold.

As the others here in this forum have pointed out, Clayton might be New Mexico provincially, but in terms of how it feels, it's way more similar to the Texas Panhandle and Eastern Colorado, meaning, it gets cold here. If you are looking for similar size with more winter-proof, consider Lordsburg on the other side of the state, near the bootheel. Truth or Consequences and Carrizozo also come to mind.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:23 PM

24,407 posts, read 39,470,629 times
Some decent YouTube Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr9OAMxqzFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGYcLtpSLaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xL1VUJ2uUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEUS_KgmKE8

Old 12-19-2018, 02:07 PM

Thank you, Mike and Poncho for the info and videos. The responses I have gotten have given me a lot of good insight. The blizzard one actually gave me pause...... 'tis the season soon for that here in MN

Old 12-19-2018, 02:36 PM

5,795 posts, read 5,646,170 times
Clayton is basically the edge of the country that makes up the Texas panhandle morphing into the mountainous region of New Mexico. But it is more like the former than the latter. To me it's not much different than countless other towns it's size all through the high plains of Texas, NM, Colorado, even western Kansas.

There are two things that I really think are nice about Clayton. It has a large service area (square miles) and thus has a little bit more going on than other small towns it's size in the area. Secondly, you are so close to a lot of the really wonderful parts of New Mexico and Colorado for recreational activities in winter and summer.

Years ago, some of my parents best friends moved to Clayton and we would got out to visit. I remember as a 10 year old being kind of charmed by the little downtown and the older but well kept homes in town where they lived. (He was a banker).

But we are talking 50 years ago.

Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

Thank you Ed...... that was my impression about recreational places,.... lakes, rabbit mtn, the dinosaur footprint park, some might be a one time visit, but it's nice to know there are those, plus a number of other to be discovered areas.

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

38 posts, read 8,193 times
The pride of Clayton New Mexico is Ms Charmayne James .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico