U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:25 AM

11 posts, read 1,543 times

Advertisements

I came across Clayton New Mexico in a search for small towns. Is this a viable place for job opportunities and a reasonable cost of living? It appears to be, but you know how an internet search can go Thanks for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 12:14 PM

24,407 posts, read 39,470,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvan1234 View Post
I came across Clayton New Mexico in a search for small towns. Is this a viable place for job opportunities and a reasonable cost of living? It appears to be, but you know how an internet search can go Thanks for any responses.
We have lived in New Mexico for more than 15 years. We don't recall the town of Clayton. But we must have passed through a few times. We live in the Albuquerque area, about 280 miles away from Clayton.

"Clayton is a town and county seat of Union County, New Mexico, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 2,980. Clayton is a crossroads for tourists heading from Texas to Colorado, and Kansas / Oklahoma / Texas to Taos, New Mexico."

These are the most popular threads on Clayton:
Raton or Clayton?
Clayton, the best place in NM for young families
Tornado's @ Clayton
Clayton Gun Show
Clayton Lake Trout Derby!
Clayton Gun & Knife Show

Old 12-12-2018, 01:59 PM

Thank you for the links! Clayton in Union County appears to be in the very northeast corner. It just seemed like a good start for retirement planning.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:15 PM

3,622 posts, read 7,388,931 times
City of Clayton has a website (no idea on its quality): Home.

If you have an inexplicable desire to be surrounded by cars with license plates from 5 different states in approximately even amounts, Clayton's got you covered.

Clayton's got a small downtown, feedlots, cattle ranches, and OOOH! a prison!

So, if the associated vocations with those industries appeal to you, there's plenty of wide open space for you to inhabit. A little too much, maybe.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:46 PM

Thank you for that perspective If I pick up a need for sketchy living... that sounds like the place to go..... it seemed like a laid back kinda place, not too big but an area that purports to have a number of surrounding places to visit and recreate near. I appreciate your taking the time to provide a comment.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:56 PM

787 posts, read 745,863 times
In my experience it's a small, rural community that's strongly oriented towards ranching and farming. I can't speak to the economy in any detail. In addition to the things Zoidberg mentioned, there are at least a couple of tourist attractions including Clayton Lake State Park.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:04 PM

I currently live in a small farming community, trying to think ahead a bit and look for a winter place to retire. I don't need a lot of shopping, just some outdoor activities.... and a few things that would lure my kids to visit if I was there

Planning a visit has been challenging, thus some opinion gathering to see if it would be worth it.

thank you for taking the time to comment!

Old 12-12-2018, 09:34 PM

2,999 posts, read 4,585,811 times
"A winter place to retire", meaning without much winter? Where have you lived for comparison? Clayton gets a lot of snow and plenty of cold in winter. It's very remote and far from major airports which might make it hard for your kids to get to. Don't know where they're coming from.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:45 AM

I currently live in southern Minnesota, and have also lived in Alaska, so snow and cold no big deal, looking for a shorter winter

Old 12-13-2018, 09:37 AM

3,622 posts, read 7,388,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvan1234 View Post
I currently live in southern Minnesota, and have also lived in Alaska, so snow and cold no big deal, looking for a shorter winter
My advice is don't skimp on the shorter winter.

Clayton is on the cold, damp and flat side of a warm, dry and mountainous state.
For my money, I'd pick almost anywhere else in NM (Las Vegas and Roswell wouldn't make my cut though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico