U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 93 times

Advertisements

I'm retired military and am looking to buy or Owner Finance a remote acreage.

Something smallish and don't mind drilling a well/ pumping water. I do want to farm an acre or three, no big winds of run for your life type, don't want to look at neighbors and I love big trees and moving water (spring fed lake, creek/ stream/ river, etc.

Lots of junk land on craig's list.

The areas I've considered looking at are Datil, Tukarosa Ruidoso, El Morro, and Silver City. Any other Suggestions? (Extreme climates/terrain are not an issue I've lived in Flagstaff and Phoenix and Maine and Wyoming (flag and Wyoming are why I hate wind now

Last edited by Taopants; Yesterday at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

64 posts, read 16,322 times
The area along highway 180 between Reserve and Silver City is nice. And Silver City would meet all your medical/shopping/whatever needs. You might also want to look at the area south of Quemado.

El Morro is nice too. Be aware there is a heavy Mormon presence in Ramah. Sometimes they are welcoming, sometimes they are not. This sounds weird, but be aware they are Navajos and Zunis around there that walk through the woods (as they do over in Vanderwagen).

I have been through Datil a few times. I do not remember a thing about it.

Tularosa. Dry, dusty, and windy.

Ruidoso. Nice. I remember they had lots of wild turkeys in the area.

How about Questa north of Taos?

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

4,169 posts, read 6,594,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taopants View Post
I do want to farm an acre or three, no big winds of run for your life type, don't want to look at neighbors and I love big trees and moving water (spring fed lake, creek/ stream/ river, etc.

Idyllic lands that meet all your criteria will come with a high price tag! You'd be better off looking where there is a greater likelihood of finding such a property - like lands in the NW or NE parts of the country. Or any of myriad places where nature is more predictable than in the desert southwest.

Old Today, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 93 times
Questa looks like New England in the desert!
That is a great place but I like open spaces, the deserts/high deserts, big skies, etc.
I'm a Buddhist and in generally get along with the Mormons . But yeah a big settlement of Mormons can 'homogenize' a place in no time flat. Quemado looks good. Thanks for the thoughtful reply

Last edited by Taopants; Today at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or