U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 01:36 PM

721 posts, read 272,430 times

Advertisements

I am a 20 year old bi guy and I would plan to move to NM after college. How is LGBT in NM, especially with such a small population of 1 million? I am so used to living in NJ where we have a 9 million population crowded within a small state and seeing so many gay/bi guys on gay dating apps and getting so many matches with guys on Tinder. This is all because of NYC proximity and NYC has a ton of LGBT. I heard that ABQ's LGBT isn't strong out there. I heard PHX's does, but I would prefer NM over AZ for various reasons (AZ is not for me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 05:45 PM

3,633 posts, read 7,415,718 times
I don't run in those circles, but ABQ has a lively LGBT scene, culminating with the ABQ Pride parade.

You might find the gay bars number in the single digits instead of double digits, but I don't see anything about Albuquerque, Santa Fe, or Taos that say "stay away" like a lot of parts of the country would.

BTW, NM's total population is over 2 million, with half of those within an hour's drive of downtown Albuquerque. A lot of people from out east have trouble appreciating how wide and open the wide open spaces are out here. Picture the NJ turnpike from the NY state line to the PA state line. Now picture driving back. That round trip distance is at least how far it is from Albuquerque to any state line.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:42 PM

721 posts, read 272,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I don't run in those circles, but ABQ has a lively LGBT scene, culminating with the ABQ Pride parade.

You might find the gay bars number in the single digits instead of double digits, but I don't see anything about Albuquerque, Santa Fe, or Taos that say "stay away" like a lot of parts of the country would.

BTW, NM's total population is over 2 million, with half of those within an hour's drive of downtown Albuquerque. A lot of people from out east have trouble appreciating how wide and open the wide open spaces are out here. Picture the NJ turnpike from the NY state line to the PA state line. Now picture driving back. That round trip distance is at least how far it is from Albuquerque to any state line.
You are wrong about where the NJ Turnpike runs. The NJ Turnpike runs from the NY state line to Delaware actually.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:42 AM

46 posts, read 38,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
You are wrong about where the NJ Turnpike runs. The NJ Turnpike runs from the NY state line to Delaware actually.
I don't think his intention was to be geographically accurate about where the turnpike runs but rather to indicate that IF it ran to PA state line, the distance from the NY state line to the PA state line and back is at least the distance you have to go from ABQ to any state line - he was just trying to give you an indication of the distances involved here - something that takes many people moving here from another state by surprise.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:16 AM

24,509 posts, read 39,662,659 times
Quote:
How is LGBT in NM, especially with such a small population of 1 million?
The New Mexico population is actually approximately 2.088 million (2017)

Quote:
I am so used to living in NJ where we have a 9 million population crowded within a small state and seeing so many gay/bi guys on gay dating apps and getting so many matches with guys on Tinder.
New Mexico has an area of: 121,697 miČ

New Jersey has an area of: 8,723 miČ

You could fit 13, almost 14 New Jerseys into the state of New Mexico.

Check out: https://www.facebook.com/ABQpride/

Quote:
This is all because of NYC proximity and NYC has a ton of LGBT. I heard that ABQ's LGBT isn't strong out there. I heard PHX's does, but I would prefer NM over AZ for various reasons (AZ is not for me).
I don't believe you have been out to the great Southwest... I have lived in Arizona, Texas as well as New Mexico. They all have something to offer. You really need to come out here for a visit. I am originally from the Bronx. Simpson Street.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 7,415,718 times
Quote:
According to the Wikipedia page, there are extensions to the NJ turnpike in Newark Bay (where most people think of when they think of the NJ turnpike starting) and Pennsylvania, which is what I was referring to.

Take it up with wikipedia if you disagree.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,776,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Take it up with wikipedia if you disagree.
Or you can just edit wikipedia to whatever you want it to be.

Old Today, 11:54 AM

1 posts
Default LGBT in NM

Quote:
I am a 20 year old bi guy and I would plan to move to NM after college. How is LGBT in NM, especially with such a small population of 1 million? I am so used to living in NJ where we have a 9 million population crowded within a small state and seeing so many gay/bi guys on gay dating apps and getting so many matches with guys on Tinder. This is all because of NYC proximity and NYC has a ton of LGBT. I heard that ABQ's LGBT isn't strong out there. I heard PHX's does, but I would prefer NM over AZ for various reasons (AZ is not for me).

NM is chill, and a nice place to live, but you will not find the population-driven options you find in NJ/NYC etc. ABQ is a college town so there is more happening there than other places in NM. But the closest place to find a more active scene and more people who meet via dating apps would probably be Denver CO - about an 8 hour drive.

Including the Bay Area, I've never lived anywhere more LGBT-friendly than Santa Fe, but the demographic is older. We moved here from Boulder county in 2016 and were surprised by this. That's on the domestic front - for you, at 20, there is not the most vibrant scene for young people anywhere in NM, let alone young LGBT. (That's not why folks move out here, candidly.)

Good luck!

Old Today, 12:32 PM

24,509 posts, read 39,662,659 times
Albuquerque Pride Parade: https://www.facebook.com/events/472511336436894/

Albuquerque Pride, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) organization representing the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community: Albuquerque Pride

Old Today, 01:06 PM

16,232 posts, read 3,368,441 times
Quote:
New Mexico's population is a little over 2 million not one million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or