Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 AM

153 posts, read 756,994 times

Advertisements

I have a large full sun, quick-draining, sandy area on the south side of my property that I need to do something with. I am getting sick of looking at sparse, dead grass. There are NO trees and no shade. This is my first time having a place where I can plant stuff so I would love some recommendations on plants that would do well in this type of area. I would love to fill it will some low maintenance, natural looking plants that would spread out. Nothing that I have to dig out the whole area to plant. I don't mind watering, as long as they are plants that will eventually be low-water, low maintenance once established.

Right now there is a large group of dutch iris that are spreading and doing very well (when watered) but I would love to plant some larger flowering shrubs and plants. There is also a bed of cosmos that are going to come up.

We have about five Mexican Bird of Paradise elsewhere on the property I was thinking about transplanting one or two of the smaller ones, but not sure they would take to being moved, also about three small Jujube trees that may be able to move.

Would Spanish Broom and Oleander do well in this type of area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 AM

96 posts, read 408,928 times
I garden in LA, and Oleander is something I certainly wouldn't want in my yard. Not only are the leaves toxic (children have died eating them), they have no wildlife value - no nectar for hummingbirds or bees, and no seeds for songbirds. It should be categorized under Styrofoam Plants in gardening books...

You may think you have a hot, dry area that is tough on plants, but you can be sure that many native plants have adapted to just that environment. With a little extra water and light pruning, these plants will look even better than they do in the wild.

We built our drought-tolerant and wildlife-friendly garden in LA based on plant lists from the California Native Plant Society and others. When we move to Abq., we will contact the Native Plant Society of New Mexico - Native Plant Society of New Mexico Website - for advice on creating a garden for the local birds and butterflies too.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:45 PM

946 posts, read 3,255,102 times
Default Comes up

Hi

Something that does very well around here with little water and bad soil is Russian Sage -- it was introduced but now you see it everywhere in Santa Fe (7,000 ft) and does well in my yard (6,000 ft.) It is a beautiful blue most of the summer and attracts honey bees and humming birds. We don't get many butterflies, so I don't know if it attracts them.

Butterfly Bush requires only a little more water and is even more attractive to humming birds.

Of course, you should look around at your neighbors and see what does well. Some plants will do so well your neighbor might let you dig up a few and plant in your yard.

I am always a little leery of the nurseries which tend to market the new and exotic. They just don't seem to sell that plant that is doing so well in your neighbor's yard.

And consider just watching your yard closely and see if you like anything that comes up.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:23 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,994,283 times
I love the Russian sage too!

I also like chamisa - I think it grows like a weed, at least in the Santa Fe area.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,099,267 times
Sounds like the perfect spot for some prickly pear!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:54 PM

108 posts, read 270,756 times
Steve-o said, "Sounds like the perfect spot for some prickly pear!" That is what I was thinking. I love cacti. Types of Cactus
Also any type of succulent does really well in NM and they don't need much water.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:05 PM

153 posts, read 756,994 times
We are 4,600 ft. here in Socorro. I absolutely LOVE some of the natural Santa Fe gardens. My one neighbor has nothing but GRASS and two large cottonwood trees in his yard, he waters twice a day, EVERY day. There is no way I am doing that. We already have a large south facing lawn that I am dreading to take care of in the heat of this summer, I am hoping the large mulberry tree in the yard fills out to at least give it some shade. Anyway, I've seen some plants in yards around town that I really like but don't know what they are called??? That is why I have been asking around for some names. Guess I need to start carrying my camera and doing some plant identification.

I really like russian sage and will keep my eye out for one. Does it do better than lavender here? We only have Walmart, Ace, and Raks for plants and it is a hit and miss.

As for cactus, when can you dig them up and transplant them? Do you have to wait until winter or does it not matter?

Old 04-07-2008, 04:30 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,974,750 times
I would use some cactus and various yuccas, just throw em in the ground and forget about them, but you may need to water the yuccas(like twice a month) every so often to get established.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,994,283 times
I have a couple of books by Judith Phillips. She is one of the gurus of New Mexico xeriscaping and her books are just beautiful ... loaded with pictures in full color.

I have New Mexico Gardener's Guide and Natural by Design. I have been studying them all winter ... and planning. I would highly recommend both of them.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 PM

946 posts, read 3,255,102 times
Two thoughts:

1. Join a garden club if there is one in your area. Usually they are full of successful gardeners who have something they might give or sell you. Also they have plant sales. All a good source of plants that do well in your area.

2. Seriously -- find a bare area in your yard and just water it occasionally. Stuff will come up. Weed the stuff you don't like. If I do that (at 6,000 feet) and I get one or more of the following: chamisa, snakeweed (pretty despite the name), yucca, various cactus, juniper, pinon, four o'clocks (a surprise), numerous variations on a sort of sunflower / daisy theme. And all sorts of weeds to pull out. You will get a different set of plants, but should find something you like. I envy you -- cactus will do better where you are. And you can start this instant.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 04-07-2008 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico