U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 07:03 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,654,365 times

Advertisements

Ruidoso set a record Friday, recording the most snowfall in a single day in December, a weather historian told the Ruidoso News.

By 3 p.m., residents called in with measurements of 20 inches or more. (24-30 inches by the time it stopped). Ski Apache claims to have received 42 inches since it began snowing on Wednesday.

Former village manager Frank Potter, a weather spotter for the National Weather Service and a weather historian, said the previous record was 14 inches set decades earlier.

Ruidoso Police Chief Darren Hooker said despite the constant snow, drivers were still out in regular numbers in the village Friday.

“There were a lot of vehicles sliding off roads, not so much running into other vehicles,” he said. “The biggest problem was the two-wheel drive vehicles coming in from out of the area with no chains and drivers unfamiliar with driving in snow. And you have to throw in that it was the Friday night before New Year’s, and that was why a lot of people were coming into the area for the holiday.”'

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 07:24 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,870,861 times
Yeaaaaaaaaaah, baby!!! Waxing the skis at the ski shop now, see Ruidoso in a week.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:44 PM

22 posts, read 4,666 times
I hope it doesn't do that again any time soon! I plan on going right by there in a little over a week. According to the road maps (https://www.nmroads.com/mapIndex.html)earlier today the roads were closed right through part of the area I'll travel. I can go around, but any other route available was a long way to travel.

But I'm keeping an eye on it and hoping things will be OK going in and out when the time comes.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:27 AM

70,285 posts, read 80,994,189 times
Non that is a lot of snow. What about the rest of the state? I notice ABQ is pretty cold, but didn't check for the snow conditions.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:18 AM

24,567 posts, read 39,781,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Non that is a lot of snow. What about the rest of the state? I notice ABQ is pretty cold, but didn't check for the snow conditions.
Right Now:
Albuquerque, NM
as of 7:01 am MST
11°
Clear
Feels Like 4°
H 32° / L 16°
UV Index 0 of 10
https://weather.com/weather/today/l/USNM0004:1:US

Old 12-30-2018, 11:02 AM

3,640 posts, read 7,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
In case you meant how much snow we got, instead of what was the temperature, we got perhaps a couple of inches, depending on where you were in town.

Maybe the most in a couple years but definitely not a record breaker in ABQ. More is supposed to be coming in the next couple days.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:51 AM

74,739 posts, read 66,460,709 times
This is interesting, OP. We didn't get that much in Santa Fe. Is Ruidoso at a higher altitude, than SF?

Old 12-30-2018, 12:41 PM

319 posts, read 163,314 times
We had 5 1/2 inches at my house in Alamogordo at 4,500. Another shot possible on New Year's.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:03 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,654,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is interesting, OP. We didn't get that much in Santa Fe. Is Ruidoso at a higher altitude, than SF?

The elevation is about the same with variations more pronounced in Ruidoso because of its siting actually in the mountains as opposed to Santa Fe which is surrounded by them.

Who gets the biggest shot of weather largely depends on the storm tracks. Elevation is just one factor.

An aside: Did you know that the local ski area (Ski Apache) has the only enclosed gondola in New Mexico? It was refurbished several years ago and cabs increased from 4 to 6 person capacity. It runs from the parking lot to the highest point of the ski area.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:58 PM

74,739 posts, read 66,460,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
The elevation is about the same with variations more pronounced in Ruidoso because of its siting actually in the mountains as opposed to Santa Fe which is surrounded by them.

Who gets the biggest shot of weather largely depends on the storm tracks. Elevation is just one factor.

An aside: Did you know that the local ski area (Ski Apache) has the only enclosed gondola in New Mexico? It was refurbished several years ago and cabs increased from 4 to 6 person capacity. It runs from the parking lot to the highest point of the ski area.

Yes, I knew it's a tourist attraction year-round. People ride it in the summer for the views.

Well, there have been dire storm warnings referring to today and tomorrow, but we've got nothing so far in SF. It's actually a halfway-decent day, out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or