U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:03 PM

24,518 posts, read 39,689,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Bizarre? Maybe, but for me, it was either move to the desert or shoot my neighbor back in the Midwest. He was obsessed. He would cut his grass twice a week on an intersecting diagonal grid so there was always two passes over the half-acre of lawn. I swore I'd never cut grass again and didn't even want to hear a lawnmower. So far, so good.
Ah... I was a pattern mower in a past life. Different pattern each time. Sometimes do a circle, not mowing the inside and see how tall the grass would get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Status: ""I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam." -- Popeye" (set 2 hours ago)

5,533 posts, read 3,137,546 times
There should be a 12-step program: "Hi, My name is Poncho and I'm a pattern mower."

Old 01-09-2019, 07:09 PM

24,518 posts, read 39,689,696 times
Quote:
There should be a 12-step program: "Hi, My name is Poncho and I'm a pattern mower."
I was mowing lawns in Miami before I was in the 7th grade. Some people had Coconut, Avocado, Guava and Grapefruit trees in their yards. Some people did not know what they were, so they would let me take those things away. I would sell them on the corner and take some home. Rather than mow back and forth, which was wasteful (and ugly) I would do circles around the trees which looked mas suaves que nunca, "much smoother"...

Old 01-09-2019, 07:24 PM

74,581 posts, read 66,219,136 times
You don't have to go to the SW to avoid having a lawn. The last place I had in Seattle was forested with huge cedar trees. The ground was like a natural forest floor. Certain wildflowers would sprout up, spontaneously. Along the south side, there was a small lawn that got the sun. That lawn didn't require any care, except watering, and going over with an old-fashioned push mower occasionally. It seemed to take care of itself, no lie! The birds would come down out of the trees to play in the sprinkler I'd put out for it. They would party back there, lol! Lots of birdie commotion, as they enjoyed their sprinkler-bath.

But other than that, there was no lawn to worry about. Move someplace, like the north Coast of CA, where it's all big evergreens, minimal to no lawns. Let nature take care of itself.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:28 PM

18 posts, read 3,859 times
Quote:
Bizarre? Maybe, but for me, it was either move to the desert or shoot my neighbor back in the Midwest. He was obsessed. He would cut his grass twice a week on an intersecting diagonal grid so there was always two passes over the half-acre of lawn. I swore I'd never cut grass again and didn't even want to hear a lawnmower. So far, so good.
I have 2 neighbors who are insane (still live in the Midwest, but in Alamogordo at the moment, and moving here in a year or so). One owns every yard implement imaginable. He's always cutting, sucking up leaves, fertilizing, cutting some more, watering, snow-blowing, sucking up leaves the day after he sucked the leaves last time - you name it. He even has a wood chipper for branches, and moves shrubs around for days to end up looking almost exactly like it was before he started. The other guy seems depressed when it's raining or the grass isn't tall enough to ride his mower over for a couple of hours. I think he's bedridden all winter because life isn't worth living is he can't cut something, though he makes a feeble attempt to look normal when there's some snow on his driveway.

I get a kick out of both of them.

I mow my lawn when I have to, sometimes later. I raked my leaves one year and swore I'd never do it again. And haven't. I shovel the driveway (manually) so the wife can get in and out, but I have 4WD and wouldn't bother if she did too. Well, except maybe to make path for the mailman.

Even so, my yard looks very nice most of the time. I think the leaf cover helps the grass in front that doesn't get much sun, too.

Last edited by phydeaux3; 01-09-2019 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Add more to it

Old 01-10-2019, 11:20 AM

3,008 posts, read 4,613,464 times
Quote:
Bizarre? Maybe, but for me, it was either move to the desert or shoot my neighbor back in the Midwest.
OK, I grew up in eastern suburbia and hated that I was responsible for mowing lawns, front and back, not to mention roto-tilling gardens, planting and maintaining multiple vegetable and flower gardens, trimming bushes, you get the idea. And making extra money mowing neighbors' lawns, some with a tractor mower. I hated every minute of it. Allergic to grass. I told myself "when I grow up" I will never do any of that stuff again. The solution was simple, I grew up, moved out and lived in apartments in cities in the East.

Then when I moved to ABQ I continued living in apartments until I could afford a house. And what did I do, but I bought a house with grass front and back that needs mowing, although much smaller and more manageable than where I grew up. So moving to the desert is not automatically a solution to the problem. The worst noise I have to deal with now is the people with blowers that are hired to clean up around houses. Those things are much louder than lawn mowers and seem to go on for hours.

Old Today, 04:50 PM

80 posts, read 47,928 times
I'm with you on loud blowers. Strongly dislike them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or