Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 01:38 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting New Mexico is one of the poorest states in the Union right down there with Mississippi

The leftward tilt of NM is very disappointing with not bring new tax revenues to this desperately poor state
And California has a leftward tilt, yet has the 5th largest economy in the world. Your argument just fell apart.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:27 PM

2,082 posts, read 924,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
And California has a leftward tilt, yet has the 5th largest economy in the world. Your argument just fell apart.
Wait till Governor Newscum with the Democrats in full control of all levels of government he will spend money like a drunken sailor which will make the previous Brown administration look like Conservatives

Old 02-10-2019, 03:09 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
New Mexico takes the top spot for poorest state in the nation
Apparently you are wrong yet again. Maybe the colors will help you out.

The 10 Poorest States In America For 2019

1. Mississippi (Photos)
2. New Mexico (Photos)
3. Alabama (Photos)
4. Louisiana (Photos)
5. West Virginia (Photos)
6. Kentucky (Photos)
7. South Carolina (Photos)
8. Arkansas (Photos)
9. Georgia (Photos)
10. North Carolina (Photos)

If tilting red instead of blue is a panecea for a state's problems then why are the red states occupying most of the bottom rungs? Pathetic.

Quote:
Gerry Bradley researched the state's poverty numbers and offered one big reason why New Mexico is performing so poorly.

"Everything that happens in the area of poverty it's going to ultimately be traced back to the labor market. If we're losing jobs, we're not going to be improving in our poverty standings," said Bradley.
The governor in question, Lujan Grisham, is in her second month as governor after voters repudiated eight years of miserable, and scandal ridden, do-nothing Republican governor Susana Martinez -- who (btw) also thought Trump is a jerk. The Republican Mayor of Albuquerque was also sent packing after eight years of ridiculous failed projects and police corruption scandals.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:38 AM

2,082 posts, read 924,048 times
Governor Gruesome has her priorities all wrong instead of going after Trump focus like a laser beam on...Income is up and poverty is down in New Mexico, new Census data show, but the state still lags behind the rest of the country in economic growth and remains one of just two states where more than 1 in 5 residents live in poverty.

“There is relatively little movement out of poverty,” said Jeffrey Mitchell, director of the Bureau of Business & Economic Research at The University of New Mexico. “The poverty rate declined, but less so than other places.”

The portion of New Mexicans living below the poverty line is 20.4 percent, down from 21.3 percent in 2014, the U.S. Census Bureau says. The child poverty rate in the state dropped to 28.6 percent from 29.5 percent, but New Mexico remains second worst behind Mississippi.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ Because the governor is a Democrat and is opposing Trump based on partisanship. Trump has the duty to protect the country, overriding a governor's political pettiness.

And typical of Democrats, the governor plays the race card. Trump never said anything racists about Hispanics in general. He called criminals for what they are, criminals.
Give me one example of where Democrats and Republicans have ever had a problem with bipartisan support for an Emergency Declaration. You can't, because it has never happened. Democrats and Republicans have never had a problem with that ever, and this is not an exception, because there is no emergency here. It's just Trump trying to keep a ridiculous campaign promise.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:15 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
New Mexico Gov: Trump ‘Militarizing the Border’ — ‘Stoking Fear’ with ‘Racist’ Rhetoric

Wednesday on MSNBC’s “Live,” Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-NM) said she removed National Guard troops from the border in her state because she is concerned the Trump administration was “stoking fear” with “racist comments about Hispanic communities” in “an effort to get support for militarizing the border.”

Lujan Grisham said, “I have long been concerned that in addition to this anti-immigrant agenda by the White House stoking fear, the racist comments about Hispanic communities and immigrant communities in general, that this is an effort to get support for militarizing the border. And not getting Congress to do that. He’s making sure that he’s trying to get states to do that.”

She continued, “This is not a national emergency. We are spending $30 million on our troop deployment there. That’s money he’s taking out of things that we do need in this state, like infrastructure investments. I asked them to get me more data and demonstrate what they are doing and I don’t want them to involve in immigration enforcement. They were unable to make the case. I made the decision as soon as they gave me report, which again indicated no crisis. I pulled the troops from the border.”
This is the OP.

If you actually want to discuss this, I don't think that the governor is wrong.

Quote:
New Mexico takes the top spot for poorest state in the nation

t's a list no one wants to top, but New Mexico is. New Census numbers show the state is officially the poorest state in the country, with one out of every four families living in poverty.

"I don't think this is a surprise to people in New Mexico. I think the problems are problems they live with every day," said Gerry Bradley of New Mexico voices for children.

According to the US Census, in 2011 22 percent of our families were living in poverty compared to the national level which was 15 percent.

Gerry Bradley researched the state's poverty numbers and offered one big reason why New Mexico is performing so poorly.

"Everything that happens in the area of poverty it's going to ultimately be traced back to the labor market. If we're losing jobs, we're not going to be improving in our poverty standings," said Bradley.

Bradley said before 2008, that 50th ranking was actually around 45th to or 44th. He also said the state's education budgets are being cut and public sector jobs are suffering. Bradley said the only way to fix the low rankings is to get the government to step in.

New Mexico will be fighting for the cellar with Mississippi
Thinking that this should be another thread.
Unless you think that the topic of the OP and this are somehow related(?)

Old 02-11-2019, 08:44 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
then Cali ought to pay off their 1.3 trillion dollar public debt

Old 02-11-2019, 10:31 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
I think the bottom line is that if 3 out of every 4 people that were able to prevail by passing through the border would vote Republican instead of Democratic upon citizenship, the Democrats would want to build that very same wall.

As far as building the wall goes, I support doing so. We are a sovereign nation and have a duty to protect our borders. in terms of arguing against the wall for financial reasons, the proposed 5 billion dollars to complete is a rounding error compared to the 4 trillion national budget overlay. If you consider a 100 dollar bill as the national budget total, the equivalent of building a border wall would amount to 1.25 cents on the 100 dollar bill. It's not about economics, it's about politics.

I live here on the border. I have spoken to border patrol agents, as well as citizens in border towns, such as Rodeo. Their stories would make your head spin. For whatever the reason, these stories are not promoted in the national news. Stories such as this one: https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...as/2205623002/

The fact this truck was being pursued on this side of the border is an example of citizens being threatened. Imagine if that truck had collided with another car and killed an innocent family. In this particular case, the Rio Grande is dry in the winter due to irrigation not being needed. The Elephant Butte Irrigation District shuts the flow of water off in October so the farmers can have water for crops the following year. The truck drove across the dry river bed onto the American side. How many US citizens even know the river is dry and therefore easily crossed by car? This stuff needs to get out the to population at large.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Canadian/Mexican/USA Border Security Incidents
https://border.globalincidentmap.com/

Interesting real time map and data....

Old 02-11-2019, 02:57 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think the bottom line is that if 3 out of every 4 people that were able to prevail by passing through the border would vote Republican instead of Democratic upon citizenship, the Democrats would want to build that very same wall.

As far as building the wall goes, I support doing so. We are a sovereign nation and have a duty to protect our borders. in terms of arguing against the wall for financial reasons, the proposed 5 billion dollars to complete is a rounding error compared to the 4 trillion national budget overlay. If you consider a 100 dollar bill as the national budget total, the equivalent of building a border wall would amount to 1.25 cents on the 100 dollar bill. It's not about economics, it's about politics.

I live here on the border. I have spoken to border patrol agents, as well as citizens in border towns, such as Rodeo. Their stories would make your head spin. For whatever the reason, these stories are not promoted in the national news. Stories such as this one: https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...as/2205623002/

The fact this truck was being pursued on this side of the border is an example of citizens being threatened. Imagine if that truck had collided with another car and killed an innocent family. In this particular case, the Rio Grande is dry in the winter due to irrigation not being needed. The Elephant Butte Irrigation District shuts the flow of water off in October so the farmers can have water for crops the following year. The truck drove across the dry river bed onto the American side. How many US citizens even know the river is dry and therefore easily crossed by car? This stuff needs to get out the to population at large.
So where do you build a wall in a river that floods? "Barriers built in the Rio Grande floodplain will either wash away during floods or become dams that worsen the flooding." THIS stuff needs to get out to the ignorant population.
https://thinkprogress.org/trumps-pla...-9b2fe78df789/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico