Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:05 PM

29 posts, read 91,625 times

Advertisements

hi everyone 36yr old male in michigan was wondering what city looks like it keeps growing?being from michigan i like water a little snow not much though and i drive heavy truck by trade i was looking at alamogordo,cloudcraft,silver city,las cruces i was thinking of buying a 20 foot box truck for transportation or like buying a crane boom truck can someone give me any feed back as to what towns are growing or any buisness ideas thank you very much.i hear about people wanting to get to the mountains and trails does anyone think that starting a shuttle service would do well?it sounds like the drives are somewhat of a ways to places.thanks again

Last edited by crete071; 04-09-2008 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 03:59 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,704,895 times
You need to do a little market research. My gut feeling is that people in NM and in the west in general have different opinions on what constitutes a long drive. Most people I know don't like to be without their own wheels.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:18 PM

thanks for replying domino i hear that some space thing is coming to the tc area just north of las cruces i am from michigan raised around water and snow all my life just trying to find a medium as far as living around some water is there any lakes over by albq? i see there is by tc but being new to nm not sure if i would be comfortable in a small town i get along with people real easy and i am hispanic and caucasian with tatoos lol are is there any hispanic in tc?or would i do better towards albq?thanks again

Old 04-09-2008, 05:23 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,522,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crete071 View Post
hi everyone 36yr old male in michigan was wondering what city looks like it keeps growing?being from michigan i like water a little snow not much though and i drive heavy truck by trade i was looking at alamogordo,cloudcraft,silver city,las cruces i was thinking of buying a 20 foot box truck for transportation or like buying a crane boom truck can someone give me any feed back as to what towns are growing or any buisness ideas thank you very much.i hear about people wanting to get to the mountains and trails does anyone think that starting a shuttle service would do well?it sounds like the drives are somewhat of a ways to places.thanks again

Crete....if your going to live in southern nm then Las Cruces would be your best bet. Maybe running a shuttle from the Spaceport to Las Cruces or T or C as there will be many construction workers probably living in either city and having to transport back and forth everyday.

I know that there's a shuttle service in Alamgordo that takes people back and forth from Alamo to the El Paso international airport.

6/3

Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 PM

Default thanks

thanks for the feedback 6 foot i am talking about something like a day trip for people or like you said 6 foot maybe people wanna ride into town for work maybe the seniors would like to go through almogordo or cloudcraft then head back in the evening let me know if anybody knows of anything like this like i said id like to maybe come out there and start a buisness just wondering what would take off again thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,566,204 times
crete071 - I commented on another thread - Go West young man! With a CDL and construction truck driving experience you should be able to get a job before you leave Michigan.

As you are half hispanic/half anglo you will look just like most to the rest of the folks in NM. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 PM

Default thanks

greg so you mean like the delivery buisness in nm is booming like if i came out there with a 20 foot box truck with a lift gate that would do good?good news to hear one guy told me he was delivering stuff from albq to el paso 4 days a week and making 1,000 a week i about fell of my chair lol

Old 04-10-2008, 12:45 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,274,244 times
I would think you would be able to do pretty good with a boom truck. Base it out of Cruces and advertise your services in a pretty big radius. With the way fuel cost are I would be cautious.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:44 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,522,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crete071 View Post
thanks for the feedback 6 foot i am talking about something like a day trip for people or like you said 6 foot maybe people wanna ride into town for work maybe the seniors would like to go through almogordo or cloudcraft then head back in the evening let me know if anybody knows of anything like this like i said id like to maybe come out there and start a buisness just wondering what would take off again thanks for the feedback.
Maybe Shuttle service from Albuquerque and/or Las Cruces to and from Ruidoso for those who just want to spend the day and not stay over and leave the driving to your service at a fair price. Heck i might sign up...lol...

Anyway just a thought.....

6/3

Old 04-10-2008, 01:50 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,167,781 times
crete... you will have an easy time finding a good job in New Mexico, IMO, as your skills are in demand. Mesilla Valley Transportation These folks advertise for drivers constantly and pay well with benefits, just as an example.
I can't speak to being an owner/operator though....you should talk to Mr. Alb-to-El Paso some more and get some leads from someone locally in the business. Construction is still doing pretty well here, folks are moving into the state (as opposed to MI) and there should be plenty of opportunity for a hard working Midwestern guy with skills and experience.
As a born-n-bred Michigander I can tell you to pretty much forget about lakes/water here. The biggest lake in the state is Elephant Butte, a resevoir that won't remind you of a Michigan lake at all.
When I tell people here that the lake I grew up next to is over 300 miles long, 22,300 square miles in size (half the size of Tennessee), with 1,600 miles of shoreline (and Lake Mich. is the third largest of the Great Lakes), they don't believe me. Pretty hard to wrap one's mind around that much water when you're in the desert. LOL Most of what passes for lakes in NM would be largish ponds or small lakes in MI. Fishing on it's best day in NM is pretty sad compared to MI, with the exception of some nice fly fishing locales.
I go down to the Rio Grande a lot, just to watch the sunset and the river go by (when there's water in it), but you'll need to discover (a fun thing) the dry wonders of the desert and the mountains and the people/culture if you want to be at peace here. NM is a great place.
Do come and visit at least once (2 or 3 would be better) before making the big move. It's not for everyone.
Bienvenidos a Nuevo Mexico!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico