Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:40 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I change my mind y'all, I'll stick with NM! I was also reading Reddit today too. So, there are nice areas in NM, but I assume I would have to live at least a few miles away from ABQ to be safe. My suburban town in NJ is 11 miles away from Newark and we are super safe in my town although we are not extremely far and although my town is close to 280 for accessing Newark.
there are safe areas of ABQ....i dont think you would need to avoid it to be safe.You're prolly gonna be safe and have no issues safety-wise if you stay away from seedy areas and stay away from the drug trade and you use common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 08:30 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
This reminds me... I'm looking for a good Tai Chi class somewhere near Cottonwood Mall or further north.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:34 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
I change my mind y'all, I'll stick with NM!
I think that's a decent decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
You're prolly gonna be safe and have no issues safety-wise if you stay away from seedy areas and stay away from the drug trade
And avoid hanging out on certain streets, in certain parks, bars, etc, where cholos are known to hang out. The OP is a young guy which means he's a natural target for those guys.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:58 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I think that's a decent decision.

And avoid hanging out on certain streets, in certain parks, bars, etc, where cholos are known to hang out. The OP is a young guy which means he's a natural target for those guys.
Yeah, but some IT guy from suburban New Jersey is hardly going to be creeping behind the Lotaburger at Central and Atrisco or hanging out at Pat Hurley Park at 1 AM on a Saturday night, is he?

Given the work he wants to do and where he wants to live, it seems like as long as the OP has basic common sense and doesn't actively seek out trouble he should probably be just fine. Things happen - I once got held up at gunpoint in the drive-thru lane of a burrito joint in Tucson - but it's hard to see how someone with his background and interests is going to run into too much crime or violence unless he goes looking for it...

Old 03-01-2019, 06:48 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Given the work he wants to do and where he wants to live, it seems like as long as the OP has basic common sense and doesn't actively seek out trouble he should probably be just fine. Things happen - I once got held up at gunpoint in the drive-thru lane of a burrito joint in Tucson - but it's hard to see how someone with his background and interests is going to run into too much crime or violence unless he goes looking for it...

You were robbed at gunpoint, Cactus Hibs? Yikes. What did the guy get?

Old 03-02-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Yeah, but some IT guy from suburban New Jersey is hardly going to be creeping behind the Lotaburger at Central and Atrisco or hanging out at Pat Hurley Park at 1 AM on a Saturday night, is he?
Unfortunately those aren't the only locations or times of day that you're going to encounter cholos.You guys live in NM, you're full aware that cholos are seen all over the place.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:05 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
I wrote a comment on Reddit on a subreddit that is totally irrelevant to NM. I mentioned how I wanted to move somewhere cheap like NM and then a person responded to me that I need to be careful what neighborhood I choose in NM. But's that's the same for ANYWHERE! He/She said how NM is mostly low income, full of martial arts places, and full of fights. But seriously, that would be the same for NJ. NJ doesn't have too many martial arts locations (and there is not a martial arts school in every single neighborhood) so that's why NJ's martial arts schools are crowded. In NJ, fights don't happen in the suburbia and all of our suburban neighborhoods are safe, but cities like Paterson are places that get fights every day. So it would be the same in any state. The one thing that makes NJ an opposite of NM is that NJ is a "rich people state" where everyone is rich, has a prestigious job, and drives a luxury car. But of course NJ has a lot of nasty areas too.
New Jersey definitely has a history of great athletes. There was a classic boxing film about a Jersey boxer during the depression era of the 1930s - Jimmy Braddock. In more recent times, plenty of Jersey athletes are represented in college sports.

With that said, NM has a mix of rural areas and some tough areas. The 80s boxer Randall Tex Cobb was one of the few fighters of his era to go the distance against Larry Holmes in his prime. In the SI article on Cobb, he discussed his work experience as a bouncer all up and down the east coast and Albuquerque. He said Albququerque was the toughest place to work as a bouncer. Back then, the town was known for a mix of rowdy blue-collar customers, local karate experts, ex-military fighters, etc. Now, they have one of the best MMA training sites in the world with Jon Jones as an onsite champion. Apparently, ABQ is still a rowdy town just as Randall Tex Cobb had noted in the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSsytIJYDiw

Although Larry Holmes won the fight with a majority decision, he was so impressed with Cobb's ability to take a punch that he said he would hire him as a bodyguard. Randall Tex Cobb had a lot of fighting experience as a bouncer in Albuquerque. His rowdy personality earned him some roles in films in the 80s and early 90s.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
he discussed his work experience as a bouncer all up and down the east coast and Albuquerque. He said Albququerque was the toughest place to work as a bouncer.
Finally someone who gets it.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:16 PM

A few years back I brought a friend of mine from here in San Jose to Albuquerque for a visit. He's a Mexican-american guy, grew up in San Jose and lived in SoCal - East L.A. - when he was a kid. He had never been to NM. We get off the plane in Albq. First thing we do is go to the Frontier to eat. His first taste of New Mexico (before even munching into enchiladas in Frontier) was seeing a standoff between an Indian guy and a police officer on the street. They were face to face, the police officer was telling him something and the other guy was just staring him down, no fear, no backing down. They were face to face no more than about a foot away from eachother. It looked like they were getting ready to throw blows. It was obvious the Indian guy had no hesitation about doing that. My friend was pretty suprised to see such a raw confrontation like that, y más porque the police officer didnt' do anything other than stare down the other guy for a couple minutes. If this had been San Jose, they would have called for backup and they would have tackled the guy, put him in handcuffs and taken him away. But no, it's NM where people are tough, cops are tough, everyone is used to seeing this kind of stuff. I told to my friend "welcome to Albuquerque".

The reason why Albq is so tough to work as a bouncer is not only for the list of people given in the previous post, but add to the list that there are a lot of Hispanics who are into boxing, there are a lot of hispanics and mexicans and Indians who grew up on the streets, have been in countless fights, who don't have any fear of fighting, and there are even white guys too who grew up as kids in those neighborhoods and came out tough as well. There's just a lot of tough individuals in NM.

One of the tougher guys I've known was a friend of mine when I was a teenager. He was from Mexico and he was real skinny. I saw him in a bunch of fights on the street during several years we were hanging out. He wasn't powerful at all, his punches were weak, but he was tough as nails. He could take punches, they didn't faze him at all, and he had no fear of fighting. He didn't back down from anybody, if someone wanted to fight or if he got jumped he would square off with them right away. He also had real good balance and a kind of natural athletic ability, so despite his lack of strength he was all-in-all a tough guy to fight. It helps when you grow up on the streets of Chiahuahua and Juarez.

Last edited by 80skeys; 03-04-2019 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 03:56 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
A few years back I brought a friend of mine from here in San Jose to Albuquerque for a visit. He's a Mexican-american guy, grew up in San Jose and lived in SoCal - East L.A. - when he was a kid. He had never been to NM. We get off the plane in Albq. First thing we do is go to the Frontier to eat. His first taste of New Mexico (before even munching into enchiladas in Frontier) was seeing a standoff between an Indian guy and a police officer on the street. They were face to face, the police officer was telling him something and the other guy was just staring him down, no fear, no backing down. They were face to face no more than about a foot away from eachother. It looked like they were getting ready to throw blows. It was obvious the Indian guy had no hesitation about doing that. My friend was pretty suprised to see such a raw confrontation like that, y más porque the police officer didnt' do anything other than stare down the other guy for a couple minutes. If this had been San Jose, they would have called for backup and they would have tackled the guy, put him in handcuffs and taken him away. But no, it's NM where people are tough, cops are tough, everyone is used to seeing this kind of stuff. I told to my friend "welcome to Albuquerque".

The reason why Albq is so tough to work as a bouncer is not only for the list of people given in the previous post, but add to the list that there are a lot of Hispanics who are into boxing, there are a lot of hispanics and mexicans and Indians who grew up on the streets, have been in countless fights, who don't have any fear of fighting, and there are even white guys too who grew up as kids in those neighborhoods and came out tough as well. There's just a lot of tough individuals in NM.

One of the tougher guys I've known was a friend of mine when I was a teenager. He was from Mexico and he was real skinny. I saw him in a bunch of fights on the street during several years we were hanging out. He wasn't powerful at all, his punches were weak, but he was tough as nails. He could take punches, they didn't faze him at all, and he had no fear of fighting. He didn't back down from anybody, if someone wanted to fight or if he got jumped he would square off with them right away. He also had real good balance and a kind of natural athletic ability, so despite his lack of strength he was all-in-all a tough guy to fight. It helps when you grow up on the streets of Chiahuahua and Juarez.
Do you mean Indian from India, or do you mean the Native Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico