U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 06:15 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,208,596 times

Advertisements

Now that outdoors season is beginning, fishing. Kokanee salmon in Lake Heron. Crappie in Cochiti. Walleye in Conchas. Trout everywhere in the northernhalf of the state. Catfish in the southern half of the state. Striped bass in Elephant Butte. A mix of warm water and cold water fish that most other places don't have such a range.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 01:36 PM
TKO

4,005 posts, read 3,557,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are not talking about AR right now, we are talking about the positive things about NM. Ok, so it is chile instead of chili, does it make a huge difference or you like nit picking? Yes, we know people who do not like the humidity in AR, I would agree: now compared to other places we have lived it isn't bad, but it certainly isn't NM weather. As for the trees, a matter of opinion. Both the openess of the desert and the beauty of the green trees have a place. But again, we are not here to discuss other states.
In a thread about positive and beautiful things you felt the need to express your negative experiences. That's inappropriate as well (and a little unfriendly). If I ran into you, I assure you, I'd hold the door open for you or help change your tire on the side of road.

Any New Mexican will tell you, outside of putting us in the incorrect country, spelling chile properly is a pet peeve. That nit has just got to be picked when it's in the NM forum.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:10 PM

67 posts, read 25,871 times
@akpls
Sure New Mexico has plenty of history and culture, I won't argue about that but Arizona has way more to offer than Nascar.
Talking about sports, New Mexico has no major league teams but Phoenix has 4 of them with state of the art stadiums.
Albuquacky has a few minor league teams and hot air ballooning, yawnsville!

Old 06-06-2019, 03:11 PM

@aries63
I'm aware how hot it is in Phoenix but it's hot for maybe 3-4 months and the rest of the year is nice. Winters in Phoenix are amazing.
Albuquacky is cooler but what outdoor stuff can you do in the winter? Too cold and dry for me. Everyone has different weather preferences but I'm a warmer weather person.
Even in June-Aug when the temperature is 100-115 in Phoenix there are lots of good staycation deals at top-notch resorts in the area.
Hiking trails don't really interest me. I didn't move to Arizona for that anyway, I moved to Arizona mostly for better job opportunities.
New Mexico's economy is sucky and there aren't many good-paying jobs even when the national economy is booming. No wonder the growth is so slow there but I guess you're good with it.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:17 PM

@Poncho_NM
I never said anything about national forests, that's different than forested land.
Arizona has some of the densest Ponderosa pine forests in the nation, did you know that? Not many thick pine forests in New Mexico in comparison despite having 1 more national forest than Arizona. Big deal.
One other thing I don't think I mentioned and this is important to me.
Despite being a much bigger city, Phoenix has a lower crime rate than Albuquacky. Crime happens everywhere but I feel safer in Phoenix than I did in Albq.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:03 PM

1,701 posts, read 502,950 times
More thread poopies.

Awesome.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:20 PM

76 posts, read 32,630 times
I think some people should probably read the title of the thread before replying...

Old 06-06-2019, 07:51 PM

12,743 posts, read 17,732,307 times
I know the extraterrestrials and I both like New Mexico.

But seriously, the first kid I met from New Mexico was a cute bright red headed girl in my 2nd or 3rd grade class in deep deep east Texas where I grew up. I recall that along with her unusually bright red hair she had very badly stained teeth which I now think was probably from drinking from windmill gypsum water in SE New Mexico but who knows.

At any rate, my first grand baby was born in New Mexico and she not only had red hair but it was orange in the sunlight. No luck with the second grand baby in NM either as he also has red hair. Gotta be something in the water?

And no. I did not marry that little red headed girl from my grade school days.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:09 AM

1,725 posts, read 854,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Sandia Mountain in October as seen from Corrales, New Mexico. IMG_1142 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

That's fantastic. I love La Luz Trail. I'm going up again soon. I live in AZ but come back occasionally to NM. I love the Rio Grande Valley and cultures of the region. I prefer Albuquerque to Phoenix exception there is one problem - jobs. The market is much, much stronger in Phoenix for engineering than ABQ. It's thin out there if you look on the common job sites like dice.com, indeed.com, linkedin, etc. Hence, I am in Phoenix. I enjoy Phoenix too, but if ABQ had a similar job market I would be there instead. It's just that it doesn't.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:54 AM

26,466 posts, read 44,535,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
That's fantastic. I love La Luz Trail. I'm going up again soon. I live in AZ but come back occasionally to NM. I love the Rio Grande Valley and cultures of the region. I prefer Albuquerque to Phoenix exception there is one problem - jobs. The market is much, much stronger in Phoenix for engineering than ABQ. It's thin out there if you look on the common job sites like dice.com, indeed.com, linkedin, etc. Hence, I am in Phoenix. I enjoy Phoenix too, but if ABQ had a similar job market I would be there instead. It's just that it doesn't.
We have not done the entire La Luz Trail in a long time.

I have lived in Arizona in the past and it has a lot to offer. As far as I am concerned. every state in the USA has something to offer... I have lived in over 10 U.S. States, and also overseas. Moving to New Mexico was my wife's choice (for a pay increase and promotion...), and we have now been here 20 years. Ironically, most of our AZ friends come visit us, rather than the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or