Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 07:45 PM

1,840 posts, read 1,465,197 times

Advertisements

It seems like City-Data must be biased, because I've been on Reddit and people actually told me bad things about NM. But it seems like most of those comments got downvoted. I've been told that every young person who lives in NM is a junkie and will commit crime. I heard that tire slashing and property damage happens in NM all the time. Inhumane crimes like that are almost non-existent in the NJ suburbia. Even in NJ's most dangerous cities like Newark or Camden, stuff like that barely happens. I heard that I would need a dog to live in NM. I heard that the whole state of NM is effed up in that way and not just ABQ. So if I want to get away from the usual danger NM offers, am I better off living in a town full of retirees where people won't commit crimes, or should I just go back to obsessing over AZ? I wonder if I can handle the Tuscon, AZ summers. I wouldn't mind Tuscon reaching 100 degrees, I just don't want to deal with Phoenix being over 110 degrees. Flagstaff, AZ winter temperatures seem too cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 08:09 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,904,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
It seems like City-Data must be biased, because I've been on Reddit and people actually told me bad things about NM. But it seems like most of those comments got downvoted. I've been told that every young person who lives in NM is a junkie and will commit crime. I heard that tire slashing and property damage happens in NM all the time. Inhumane crimes like that are almost non-existent in the NJ suburbia. Even in NJ's most dangerous cities like Newark or Camden, stuff like that barely happens.
I've been going overboard lately with some of my negative comments about Albuquerque and NM, but I have to say, I'd much rather live in my "bad neighborhood" of Albuquerque than Newark or Camden. Please. (I moved here from Philadelphia, for context.) Obviously not every young person in NM is a junkie. I know some of them. Let's not get carried away.

At the same time, from what I've heard first-hand, along with things I've read, crime and social problems are pretty widespread, so hiding out in a small town isn't necessarily going to help.

However if crime avoidance is a very high priority, you might want look elsewhere. I personally would be very interested in moving to Boise, but I don't think it would work for some of my allergies. Have you looked at Boise?

(If I had the money I would consider moving to one of the nicer Jersey shore towns. My family went to Ocean City every year when I was growing up, but I don't think I'd want to live there in particular, though I have an over-abundance of happy memories of spending time there.)

Old 02-23-2019, 08:34 PM

15,972 posts, read 10,531,630 times
If a person relies solely on postings on forums to make a decision on relocating, their head will be jerked one way and then another and they will be no better than when they started. If you have never been here then you need to take the time and make the effort to see it first hand. Step away from the keyboard. Take a trip.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:34 PM

159 posts, read 135,590 times
I live in a so-called “bad” neighborhood in Albuquerque, and I’m very happy. My neighbors are kind and we look out for each other. We all look out for the homeless folks too, many neighbors fix up a plate off their dinner, for instance.
I lived in NYC, Lower east side, in th 1970s. This is nothing.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:11 PM

137 posts, read 132,782 times
You need to visit and make a choice for yourself. People on City Data and Reddit either post extremely positive or extremely negative reviews of the city based upon their experiences. I wouldn't rely on either. If you're in college and have the means to visit New Mexico, just do it.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:46 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,178,739 times
You sit around on the computer obsessing and theorizing about places you want to escape to.

There is a real world out there. You can either join it, or sit on the computer fantasizing.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:38 PM

53 posts, read 47,296 times
Here is the way I look at it. I grew up in D.C suburbs. Lived in a Capitol Hill neighborhood that was gentrifying but wasn't quite there. I heard gunshots from another neighborhood all the time. I befriended homeless people, within limits, who hung out in my corner. I even left my bike outside so it would be deliberately stolen because it was too small for me. My car was stolen (and another one stolen when I lived in NOVA) and found nowhere near my neighborhood. Yet, I survived.

However, none of that tells the whole story. I loved walking to Eastern Market on the weekend. I loved the relationships I built with the owners of small businesses around me. I loved taking the Metro to football games or other places in DC where I would hang out. Those experiences are not found on the internet.

You can read all you want or you can go visit. Sure, ABQ has a terrible reputation. So did DC when I was a kid. I still love DC and I have fallen in love with ABQ. You need to decide where you want to be and then you can make it work. I look forward to moving to ABQ and if I have another stolen car...well three times will be the charm.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:03 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,514,065 times
Quote:
It seems like City-Data must be biased, because I've been on Reddit and people actually told me bad things about NM.
No, City-Data is not biased... You are just listening to what you want to hear.

Quote:
I've been told that every young person who lives in NM is a junkie and will commit crime.
Sorry, that is just foolish thinking...

Quote:
I heard that the whole state of NM is effed up in that way and not just ABQ.
You heard wrong...

Quote:
or should I just go back to obsessing over AZ? I wonder if I can handle the Tuscon, AZ summers. I wouldn't mind Tuscon reaching 100 degrees, I just don't want to deal with Phoenix being over 110 degrees. Flagstaff, AZ winter temperatures seem too cold.
I've lived in Arizona. There are some nice aspects of Arizona. I've also lived in AL, FL, GA, MA, MD, NM, NY, PA, SC, TX and several Overseas countries.

Good luck in your endeavors, whatever they may be...

Old 02-24-2019, 12:10 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,603,653 times
Quote:
It seems like City-Data must be biased, because I've been on Reddit and people actually told me bad things about NM.
Are you kidding? The New Mexico forum and its city subforums on this site are full of negative views of New Mexico. There are hardly any people on this site who stick up for New Mexico in any kind of zealous or biased manner. Most of those who do enjoy New Mexico on this site are very acquiescent to those who hold and express negative views about the state.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:04 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,683,651 times
Whatever your experience in NM, hanging out on Reddit will make you want to bash your head in. I'd avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico