Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:24 AM

25 posts, read 60,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Taos is not a bigger city.....its a small town.
==========

I'll have to give you the same reply I have walker1962! I realize Taos' size; but to me, the two towns (Taos & Santa Fe) were kinda 'linked' due to their closeness.

Also, I have found that sometimes in the "big city" (Santa Fe, OK? *smile*) prices are almost always pricier than in the "small cities": so I'll look at both types of locations in my search.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 09:28 AM

Smile Thanks Oregon_Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Agree with Joqua; take a close look at Las Cruces.
==========

I hope you get this reply as I haven't used this site for quite some time and I'm confused as to how to reply.

Thanks, yes I'll definitely check out Las Cruces.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:39 AM

Default Thanks much Ruth4Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Santa Fe has several. There's one right downtown, that has various levels of care, you choose, including independent living. Being right downtown doesn't mean:noisy, because SF is a small town. But there are many amenities retirees like, like symphony, chamber music concerts, opera, art galleries, free outdoor art fairs, a couple of film societies (it's a big film town, for its size), and so on.

Here's that downtown facility I mentioned. A friend of mine lived there (now deceased), and loved it. She raved about their dining room fare, and invited me to lunch a couple of times, and I must admit; the meals were like my mother's home cooking. It was really amazing.
https://www.elcastilloretirement.com
================

I hope you get this reply as I haven't used this site for quite some time and I'm confused as to how it works....

Yes, I was vaguely aware that Santa Fe has lots of culture-related things going on. That's definitely a big "plus" for me. And El Castillo sounds excellent, if I can afford it! I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Cathy
==============

Old 03-07-2019, 11:29 AM

60 posts, read 50,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rain_Spirit View Post
Background: Moved from the Midwest in my mid-40s, following my college-age daughter out West. I fell in love with greater L.A. & settled in for approx. 28 years.

I never wanted to leave there but in very quick succession, over around a year, my health rapidly deteriorated. I had surgery then a stint in rehab to learn to walk again. Son invited me to live w/him & his family in San Jose. I was only there a few months, then had a horrific fall & once again, hospital then rehab. I couldn't stay w/son any more after that so we found a place north & east of San Jose.

Been here about 7 months. Problem now: CA
living costs which I'm sure everyone has heard of. Further, the facility I'm in has new mgmt. and we have a sinking feeling prices are going to rise dramatically next Feb.

So, am looking for a new place. I know that unless you have a close friend or relative in my situation you won’t be familiar with the terminology, so here’s a brief description:
Where I am now has 3 levels of care:
independent living (where I am);
assisted living;
& “memory care” (Alzheimer's).

A lot of communities for older folks are like the above, except for "senior apartments" which are like any other apartments but age-restricted. Or, if you have enough $$$ to “buy in” -- which I don’t -- there are “CCRCs” which I won’t bother to explain. (And “nursing homes” for very sick people.)

I’m looking in locations I have visited in my younger years and was impressed by. Of course, in NM I assume such elder housing would only be in the larger cities (Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Taos?) or right outside of them. I’d be deeply appreciative if anyone has any suggestions on the above, and I apologize for this lengthy post.

It really depends on what you need and want. NM has some really good inexpensive living areas and not all are perfect. Where I live is is reasonable to live and own a home. Now the bad, getting quality medical care probably would make you drive to Silver City, Los Cruses, or El Passo all a minimum drive of 80-90 miles one way. We do have a great hospital her but, primary care is from Nurse Practitioners that have an attitude of god! So if you need good medical care this is not the place, I you want a great place in many other ways it is a great place. For more information go to the Luna /county county managers web site and read "The Code Of The West" this is a primmer in living here. Hope you can find what you want.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:35 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
The Albuquerque Area has the greatest amount of medical facilities...

We have family members who have had heart surgery and shoulder (done) surgery as well as other medical care in Rio Rancho...

Old 03-09-2019, 12:13 PM

ATTN drleephd6530:

Super thanks for your comments! I'll certainly look for that Luna County site you mention. Fascinating to hear that a hospital has Nurse Practitioners for primary care...never heard of that before. Yes, sadly, I'm going to have to be *near* a hospital which from what you say will severely inhibit my choices of city..

Yes

Old 03-09-2019, 12:17 PM

Thanks Poncho_NM!

I've decided that I'm going to have to make my own *personal* map by hand, and for every city and/or county that all responders have suggested, ink in the Pros and Cons...

Old 03-09-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Background: Moved from the Midwest in my mid-40s, following my college-age daughter out West. I fell in love with greater L.A. & settled in for approx. 28 years.

I never wanted to leave there but in very quick succession, over around a year, my health rapidly deteriorated. I had surgery then a stint in rehab to learn to walk again. Son invited me to live w/him & his family in San Jose. I was only there a few months, then had a horrific fall & once again, hospital then rehab. I couldn't stay w/son any more after that so we found a place north & east of San Jose.
-------------------
etc.

Poncho_NM

Thanks so much for the 2 messages you sent me! Unfortunately, I'm finding that this C-D website is not very user-friendly. Most important to me: there doesn't seem to be a "master FAQ" page explaining *terminology* and how to perform all the tasks. In fact, it took me a while to figure out what "C-D" is (that'd why I mentioned terminology). LOL

But you're listed as a "Senior Member" so I'm hoping you have a few spare minutes to clarify a couple of things for me.

TWO QUESTIONS: (1) I'm still not sure how to *reply* to messages so I'm not sure that the original 6 respondents (one of whom is you) got my replies.

(2) On another forum, I'm petty sure I saw that the original poster (I'll call her "Jane") generated a 'brand new' comment in the back-and-forth between her and whoever had replied to her (say "Tom"). Note -- if I'm correct, this would have been:

Jane's original post
Tom's reply
Jane replies to Tom
THEN Jane posts a *new message* to Tom
Tom's reply

Did I see that correctly? In other words is that 'legal'? And if so, how do I do that? I tried & couldn't seem to.

Thanks immensely for any assistance or URLs you can point me too
Sincerely, Cathy

Old 03-17-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Poncho_NM

Thanks so much for the 2 messages you sent me! Unfortunately, I'm finding that this C-D website is not very user-friendly. Most important to me: there doesn't seem to be a "master FAQ" page explaining *terminology* and how to perform all the tasks.
Sorry for the delay, I get lost a lot....

These should help:

About the Forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/

and

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ): http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Which can be seen at the bottom of the first page of this site...
In fact, it took me a while to figure out what "C-D" is (that'd why I mentioned terminology). LOL [/quote]
And I seldom reply on FaceBook, which is newer, but yet confusing...

But you're listed as a "Senior Member" so I'm hoping you have a few spare minutes to clarify a couple of things for me.

TWO QUESTIONS:

Quote:
(1) I'm still not sure how to *reply* to messages so I'm not sure that the original 6 respondents (one of whom is you) got my replies.
Those are public messages. Anyone who is registered on this site can normally reply to any message. That can be confusing, that's why quoting the original post or the part you are replying to make it more obvious to what you are replying to...

Quote:
(2) On another forum, I'm petty sure I saw that the original poster (I'll call her "Jane") generated a 'brand new' comment in the back-and-forth between her and whoever had replied to her (say "Tom"). Note -- if I'm correct, this would have been:

Jane's original post
Tom's reply
Jane replies to Tom
THEN Jane posts a *new message* to Tom
Tom's reply

Did I see that correctly? In other words is that 'legal'? And if so, how do I do that? I tried & couldn't seem to.
That is possible and depending on the discussion, normally OK...

Hope that helped....

Old 05-17-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
================

Guess I didn't word that part of my query very well, LOL! Yes I know Taos is small; I've just always heard of it kinda "linked" to Santa Fe. Maybe that's just me.....
Taos and Santa Fe are about 1 hour and 33 minutes away from each other. (70 miles apart).

Santa Fe Population is about 83,776. Taos Population is about 5,668. Santa Fe is over 14 times more populated.

There are many other differences...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico