U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:34 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,878,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PomeranianMom View Post
My husband and I will be moving to Alamogordo in early fall. PCSing from Offutt AFB in Omaha. Can anyone advise as to where is the best area to live? I have heard Dog canyon is lovely. We were stationed at Edwards AFB in the middle of the Mojave Desert for a few years. Is the area similar to that? How friendly are the locals to military?
Do you want to live in town or outside of town? How long do you want to travel to work? Dog Canyon and Boles Acres have had drug problems - so I have been told. Weather can be hot, but we sure enjoy it in the evenings as it does cool down. We also have the Mountains 1/2 hr away you can be at 8000'. Alamo is about 4600' It can be a great place to be, some will disagree, but you make the best out of where you are stationed. Wish you were bringing my cousin along..LOL
Chilegal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,926 times
Thanks for the info on Dog Canyon! I will certainly keep that in mind as we begin house hunting. Are there bad areas to avoid? I was paticularly interested in a couple of homes on Sims Ave. We were just hoping to have a nice large yard for the dogs.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,926 times
My husband of course will be traveling to Holloman but I do not really plan on working unless something I really like comes along. We're not afraid of the heat. I absolutely loved the Mojave Desert area. We do plan on having a pool....
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me chilegle. I really appreciate it!
About the altitude we were also stationed at Colorado Springs. So we are used to that too.
Where does your cousin reside? We can throw him in the back of the truck if you like....

Old 05-08-2009, 06:18 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,878,681 times
Quote:
My husband of course will be traveling to Holloman but I do not really plan on working unless something I really like comes along. We're not afraid of the heat. I absolutely loved the Mojave Desert area. We do plan on having a pool....
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me chilegle. I really appreciate it!
About the altitude we were also stationed at Colorado Springs. So we are used to that too.
Where does your cousin reside? We can throw him in the back of the truck if you like....
Not sure where he lives, but works at the base. Westerdale is his name.

There are a few places with pools, but I know one is on Scenic(or it was) but that is a busy road. Listen to the traffic. Some places can be real busy.
Not sure where Sims is. As for bad areas, you will be able to spot them when you look at places.
Good luck with the move.
Jane

Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 AM

12,986 posts, read 23,459,550 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info on Dog Canyon! I will certainly keep that in mind as we begin house hunting. Are there bad areas to avoid? I was paticularly interested in a couple of homes on Sims Ave. We were just hoping to have a nice large yard for the dogs.
P.Mom the area's that are kind of old and bad is the squarish area between 1st street south to 9th st. north and from White Sands Blvd west to Cuba ave east.

As for Sims ave. on the west side it in itself is not bad but it's close to some shady looking mobile home parks in the area so i'd recommend you personally checking out the area yourself and then see what you think.

Dog Canyon is a good distance from Holloman (30 miles) so keep that in mind if you want to move out there. A closer route in the same type setting would be in La Luz just north of Alamo.

6/3

Old 05-08-2009, 11:06 AM

3,667 posts, read 5,056,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
P.Mom the area's that are kind of old and bad is the squarish area between 1st street south to 9th st. north and from White Sands Blvd west to Cuba ave east.

As for Sims ave. on the west side it in itself is not bad but it's close to some shady looking mobile home parks in the area so i'd recommend you personally checking out the area yourself and then see what you think.

Dog Canyon is a good distance from Holloman (30 miles) so keep that in mind if you want to move out there. A closer route in the same type setting would be in La Luz just north of Alamo.

6/3
I agree with you on La Luz as opposed to Dog Canyon.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 PM

16 posts, read 8,836 times
PMom

My wife and I PCSd in from Keesler AFB last August. We are both from Iowa. Depending on your budget, check out by the golf course or the Cottonwood development. We live in the Cottonwood area about a block from the German school. The houses are very nice and some have pools. The neighborhood is safe and the commute to Holloman is around 15 minutes.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 PM

6 posts, read 9,122 times
I have read through a lot of the forum about 'Alamo' but still had a few questions. I am seriously considering moving to Alamo, have been in the area of TorC (other side of the mtn), have looked at a lot of real estate listings for Alamo and have a friend that has lived there for 16 yrs, that has described the city to me.

I was wondering if there are any homes or apts for rent that allow dogs? I have a basset hound and a bloodhound, bought as pups at different times and have been raised to be house dogs. (They love the AC!!). Looking through some of the websites for local real estate agencies I do not find any houses (preference) for rent.

I presently own a home in Indiana, retired Navy, have lived in Washington and Calif and like a lot of what I read about Alamo. I'm a bicyclist, into sports, old vw's and of course my 2 hounds.

I started thinking about buying a house before moving there but at this time I don't have time to visit the area to look around. So I thought of renting for 6 mos to a year so I could look in person at different properties along with the different neighborhoods.

Suggestions for a person with 2 dogs? (harmful)

Fire away...I'm listening

Old 07-16-2009, 11:49 AM

16 posts, read 8,836 times
iubhounds

Most of the houses we looked at allowed pets. We are renting also due to we were only going to be here two years. Most houses require a $125 pet deposit. I can't help with apartments because I did not look at any. Check out the linked site. It has the most listings and they were the most helpful. Feel free to ask any more questions.

Alamogordo Real Estate - Tularosa, Cloudcroft and Otero County Real Estate

Old 07-18-2009, 05:02 PM

6 posts, read 9,122 times
Thanks 'hawkeye'....I plan on looking for a house, either renting for a year or buying. I plan on moving the end of September and my "to do" just got a lot longer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico