Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:11 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
I've moved around quite a bit within the cozy confines of NYC, but never outside of it. It's decided, I'm taking the plunge, mosquitoes or not!
I can promise you, Riverdog, that other than: a) other desert regions (Las Vegas / Reno NV, Phoenix / Tucson AZ, El Paso TX, etc.) - all of which would generally be roughly comparable to ABQ with the possible exception of Vegas, and b) very cold / super-high-altitude mountain towns (say in mountains in CO, WY, MT, etc.), while you may find some occasional 'skeeters down by the Valley close to the Rio Grande in ABQ, you will not find anywhere NEAR as many mosquitoes in ABQ as you would in almost any other city in the US - and not even close.*

Possible exceptions would be like in the heart of NYC or Chicago, just because they are so huge and so cement-laden (in their heart and core) - where mosquitoes usually are not to be found.

Like even here in Milwaukee, WI - a horrible place many / most summers for mosquitoes in any green/neighborhood-type areas, if you go Downtown among the high rises and the concrete, you'll not hit many of them. But you go to most any neighborhood with yards, greenery, etc., and they'll swarm.

If you were living in most of Albuquerque (the Heights, West Side, Uptown, Downtown, suburbs, etc., etc., etc.) I would say you'd be "lucky" to even encounter one mosquito in a summer. However, admittedly, where you'll be going you may see some, especially in light of _yb's experiences in the North Valley. But I think even then, living close to the river like you'd be, mosquitoes will be about as much of a nuisance in your life as snowfall will be - very, very minimal. (And you couldn't say that about them in most other regions / cities / places in the US).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 04:14 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times
Congrats Riverdog!!!!!!!!!! I know you are making the right decision by taking the plunge. Even though I would never leave Albuquerque, I often times go on extended trips (3 Weeks-3 Months)--scheduling around work of course--and I always find it so refreshing to step out of the confines. I think you be really happy that you are indulging in something so different than what you are used to. I know it is a huge decision--one you are probably very worried about--but keep in mind it is the experience alone that will make your life so vibrant. Living in a new place will require you to make new friends again--which surely must be health-- and see new things. Your day trips won't be to the Hamptons, it will be to Santa Fe. Your weekends can be spent in PHX or DEN if you feel like it. You will notice a great deal more of tranquility and peace. You are going to be happy that you are experiencing something so different than what you are used to. New Mexico is the only place in the United States that feels "different". This difference will make you feel almost exotic, but still so safe inside of the US. I hope nothing but the best for you Riverdog! Welcome to the Land Of Enchantment, and the Duke City--it has been enchanting people for over 300 years now! Join the magnificence!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2016, 12:24 PM

21 posts, read 36,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I can promise you, Riverdog, that other than: a) other desert regions (Las Vegas / Reno NV, Phoenix / Tucson AZ, El Paso TX, etc.) - all of which would generally be roughly comparable to ABQ with the possible exception of Vegas, and b) very cold / super-high-altitude mountain towns (say in mountains in CO, WY, MT, etc.), while you may find some occasional 'skeeters down by the Valley close to the Rio Grande in ABQ, you will not find anywhere NEAR as many mosquitoes in ABQ as you would in almost any other city in the US - and not even close.*
I also have to point out the SF Bay Area as a c) to this comment Sure, it may be impossibly expensive to live here! But there are close to zero mosquitos here, at least SF, and the east bay that is not over the hill: Oakland/Berkeley/El Cerrito/Richmond!

Old 08-20-2016, 09:59 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times
Default Mosquitoes and Heat

Does it get hot in this city and are the mosquitoes bad?

Old 08-20-2016, 10:06 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
Yes, it gets hot, but generally isn't humid. (Some exceptions during monsoon season.) It also tends to cool off at night, certainly more than in some other Southwest cities.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Albuqu...ew-Mexico.html

Go to that link and scroll down for climate information.

Mosquitoes are nothing like what I experienced in Philadelphia. I run into them only rarely and there are hardly any of the larger ones. I've read that the closer you are to the river, the more you will have to deal with them.

There are a lot of old threads on these issues. I would recommend searching this forum.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:12 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
The average high temperature in Albuquerque is about 92°F in July. Humidity 42%. Look at the chart in this page: http://www.visitalbuquerque.org/travel-tools/weather/

I do not consider the mosquitoes bad in Albuquerque, I have lived in Florida and spent a few months in Louisiana a few times...

Old 08-20-2016, 08:47 PM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I figure anything is better than feeling like swimming through hot soup like I do here and getting bitten by bugs so bad I don't want to go outside. The only thing that might be missing from Albuquerque is a place really nearby that provides snowskiing. I discovered one year on vacation that snowskiing was, besides casual swimming and golf, one of the few outdoor activities I enjoyed. But alas, any place that snows enough to ski would probably be too cold for golf and swimming. Also, I would give up swimming if it meant not being bit up by mosquitoes all the time, but I'd still miss it. That and fishing sometimes. I doubt with humidity that low, there isn't any fishing spots around.
There is fishing around and people living in Albuquerque can snow ski essentially in their own backyard.
I'm not sure where you are coming from with some of these statements. The place has four seasons! They may not be as dramatic in change as they are where I am imprisoned but I've little doubt there are days where you could probably comfortably golf and do some skiing too after the 9th hole.

I agree that mosquitos suck in more ways than one. About the only outside stuff to do near me is forested which means trillions of mosquitos. Which means I stay away till fall.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:32 PM

265 posts, read 808,291 times
But, back to the original mosquito question - OP asked about fishing? Where's there's water there can be mosquitoes ... even in desert states like New Mexico.

Above 6500 ft in elevation, you won't find the Aedes mosquito species, which has been in the news a lot lately as it's the vector for Zika (and dengue, a much uglier fever). Up here in the East Mountains, we don't get those. But there are 174 different species of mosquito known in the US, including Culex (vector for West Nile virus and encephalitis) and Anopheles (malaria), and some of those don't have an elevation ceiling. And of course with climate change the ceilings are changing too. The other thing to bear in mind is that different species have different feeding patterns. Aedes can be both a dawn/dusk and a day feeder, while Anopheles is a night feeder ... So the bites you'll get depend on time of day or night.

After almost a decade mosquito-free, we have seen two mosquitoes up here in Sandia Park this summer. We squashed them both ... you're welcome.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:41 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieBelize View Post
But, back to the original mosquito question - OP asked about fishing? Where's there's water there can be mosquitoes ... even in desert states like New Mexico.

Above 6500 ft in elevation, you won't find the Aedes mosquito species, which has been in the news a lot lately as it's the vector for Zika (and dengue, a much uglier fever). Up here in the East Mountains, we don't get those. But there are 174 different species of mosquito known in the US, including Culex (vector for West Nile virus and encephalitis) and Anopheles (malaria), and some of those don't have an elevation ceiling. And of course with climate change the ceilings are changing too. The other thing to bear in mind is that different species have different feeding patterns. Aedes can be both a dawn/dusk and a day feeder, while Anopheles is a night feeder ... So the bites you'll get depend on time of day or night.

After almost a decade mosquito-free, we have seen two mosquitoes up here in Sandia Park this summer. We squashed them both ... you're welcome.
Well, getting away from mosquitoes is one of my bigger goals in leaving louisiana, and I want to put enough distance between me and water to not have to think about mosquitoes anymore...Although, having some sort of fishing within an hour to hour and a half drive would be nice, but not necessary.

Would you say mosquitoes are getting worse?

Old 08-22-2016, 12:19 PM

22 posts, read 29,687 times
MQ,

I just moved here from NorthEast Florida back in April. I can share some of my experiences so far.

I'm in Corrales, which is North of ABQ, but close to the river. One of the main reasons I left Floriduh, was the bugs. I hate bugs, mosquitoes especially. The only time we've been bothered was when we did a full moon hike down by the river (in the Bosque). Once the sun went down and the wind died down, I was eaten alive. Funny difference I noticed between the mosquitoes here and in Florida, I didn't itch nearly as bad for for as long and by the next morning the were basically gone.

I will agree with whoever said in this thread that it takes a while to get use to the dryness. The first month or so I was feeling it, but now I'm LOVING every bit of this great state. So many things to see and do here!

I wouldn't move back to Floriduh if they gave me the entire state!

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico