U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2006, 05:16 PM

265 posts, read 543,639 times
Default Boles Acres, La Luz, & Tularosa

I am now considering seriously the general Alamogordo area. However, really don't want to live in town. So am looking at smaller places in the vicinity.

Can anyone give me an idea of the Boles Acres area south of Alamogordo, and the La Luz and Tularosa areas north of Alamogordo. Am looking for a small manufactured type home on an acre or so of land in a rural setting.

Do these smaller towns fit my description? Unfortunately am limited to about $75,000 max on cost. Basically would like a low crime area also.

Any comments appreciated.

Jim
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 01:42 PM

11 posts, read 23,242 times
Tularosa is a very pleasant little town. As far as Boles acres I have not seen a town. La Luz I don't think so. I'm moving to Alamogordo When we sell our home. I would move to Tularosa but would be in Alamogordo all the time because of what I like to do. Do you know that the Elks Lodge their has an indoor pool to use if you are a member. We were there in the fall and their are so good priced mobile out of town on the So. side at a good price. Check out <realtor.com> . Good luck....

Old 12-22-2006, 09:17 PM

215 posts, read 541,337 times
Boles Acres: Just south of Alamo. I think it's actually part of Alamo. It's a neighborhood of mostly old trailer homes. I've never actually driven through the neighborhood, but from the highway it looks quite run down. Surrounded by endless nothingness. Open desert. I bet there's not one property there that's worth even $75,000. Maybe not even half that. There was a major flood there this summer during the monsoon blitz, but I think it had as much (or more) to do with some dumb irrigation error on the military base. Strangely, this was hardly reported in the news. I could be wrong, but I gather that BA is the ghetto no one wants to acknowlege is there.

La Luz: Nice little community north of Alamo, at the base of the mountains. There are some run-down trailers there too, but there are also nicer homes. There are even some trees, so parts of the area are shady. Big plus in the steaming desert. Not many other amenities (like stores, doctors, etc.), but it's right next to Alamo, which has all those things. The $75K range should get you something nice there. Of the three places you're asking about, it probably has the most "rural" feel, at least on its outskirts.

Tulie: Very nice little town of about 3,000 people. It has schools, parks, PO, and stores, but you pretty much have to go to Alamo for docs and major shopping. No big deal. It's only about 15-20 miles from downtown Alamo. I have not looked at home prices there in about a year, but at that time you could buy a 3BR house for anywhere between $50K and $100K on up. Tulie has somewhat of a rural feel at its outskirts, but mostly it's a small-town atmosphere. I have a pack of relatives living there, and they love it. No water problems either. The area between Tulie and Alamo is a big pistachio growing region. The whole town of Tularosa has ancient water rights, so every so often water is blasted through channels in the ground to the town yards for lawn and garden watering. Climate-wise, Tulie is slightly cooler than Alamo. Here is the City-Data profile:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Tularosa-New-Mexico.html

As long as you're in the area, you should check out all of these places. All are low crime. La Luz is probably your best bet for finding an acre or more. Also check out the areas between Tularosa and Ruidoso. I think there's some horse property along that route.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:32 PM

Default Thanks so much for the valuable info

and comments. In my searching, I am also coming across possible places to buy in the general Capitan area. Would go to Ruidoso area for my shopping. This would have a mild winter climate and would be cooler than the lower elevations in summer.?? Also would be out of the desert into more mountains type living.

Would appreciate any comments about the general Capitan area if anyone is familiar with it. Thanks.

Jim

Old 12-25-2006, 03:11 PM

215 posts, read 541,337 times
Yes, that's right. Cooler than Tularosa but not as cool as Ruidoso. The elevation is right in between desert and mountains, though Capitan has more of a mountain feel than a desert feel. Very close to Ruidoso, so shopping would be quick and easy. There's been some discussion of Capitan here, so you might try a search for more info. All I know is it's a small town (around 2,000-3,000 people?) in the low mountains. Lots of Wild West history there too. Put it on your list for sure.

Check this out for more on Capitan and other nearby towns:

http://www.villageofcapitan.com/

Old 12-25-2006, 03:51 PM

13,001 posts, read 23,847,366 times
james....also the whole area south of alamogordo to Oliver Lee state park is rural housing and trailers scattered about and as far as living in Capitan just be prepard for cold and snow during the winter months do to its high elevation.....

Old 12-25-2006, 08:28 PM

Default Again, thanks for the info

I am looking closely at the Alamogordo area for a winter home. Would basically spend Halloween to Easter there in the warmer climate and rest of the spring summer and fall at my home in Illinois.

My only reason for the possible Capitan location would be to spend July and Aug there when it can be stiffling with high humidity in Illinois. But as Harry comments the winter would be colder than Alamogorod. Of course nothing like the winters here in Illinois.

Ultimately, my decision will come down to economics. Also our recent winters in Illinois have been milder than ususal. Still it would be nice to spend some time in NM if I can afford it.

Hope to visit the areas of interest this year sometime. Timing uncertain right now.

Jim

Old 12-29-2006, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,772 times
I know the message about Boles Acres is old, but I live there and not to argue with the statement about nothing worth $75,000 - I live in a 4BR, 3Bath 2-Story 3000 square foot house with a 2 car garage and 10 acres of land - so I would guess I beat the $75,000 figure by $100,000 or more! Probably should look at the whole area before saying such things as rundown and barren!!

Old 02-07-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Thanks to DaveW

for your response. I was aware that there are a range of housing costs in the Boles Acres area. Just was wondering about the reported flooding in the area this past summer.

Since you live there, were there any particular areas of Boles Acres that flooded . Also any remedies to prevent flooding in those area taken since then.

Any comments are appreciated since I am still interested in the area for a possible home purchase.

Thanks to any who comment on the above.

Jim

Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 AM

11,805 posts, read 13,846,191 times
Another place to consider might be Carrizozo. It is probably between Tularosa and Capitan in terms of climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico