Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2019, 01:37 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm planning a trip to Taos with the main purpose to see the Hanuman Hindu temple there. I'm honestly not that big into the art scene so thought it might be good to include Santa Fe and ALBQ, especially since I'll be flying into ALBQ so that'd be a good starting point?

I'm thinking maybe 4 or 5 days? Is there a better time of year to drive around and see the sights between ALBQ and Taos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 02:20 PM

102,057 posts, read 106,854,652 times
When are you planning your trip for?

Santa Fe is good to visit simply to enjoy the architecture and ambience, and to see the museums. There are a half-dozen, so you can pick and choose per your interests. Downtown SF is good for shopping, if you have cha-ching. Otherwise, simply window-shopping can be fun, too.

Sights in Taos: the Rio Grande Gorge (you'll get beautiful views if you drive up from SF, then you can drive out to the bridge from Taos, and walk across, for more viewing). There's some good shopping in Taos, too, not as exclusive & over-the-top as in SF. There's the pueblo to visit, a World Heritage Site and National Historic Site. If you decide to go, be sure to check their calendar online, to make sure the community is open that day; they close for their own private ceremonial days.

Best time of year to drive around & see the sights? It depends. Summer has a lot going on, interesting events, a ceremonial calendar in the Native communities, art fairs in SF, etc., but it's hot and crowded (big tourist season). There are winter ceremonies in the Native communities from Xmas thru "Kings' Day" (Epiphany), that are much quieter. October is nice, because the autumn leaves are turning, and the weather is cooler.

Taos has interesting museums, too, but you said you're not into art much, so I won't go into that.

I hope this helps a little. Might raise as many new questions as it answers, lol. 5 days would be enough to see what interests you, without rushing around.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:38 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,504,606 times
ABQ could be a good point to start as well as an ending point.

ABQ to Taos is about a 2 1/2 hour drive, one way, 140 miles. Santa Fe is about half way.

The best time to visit Santa Fe is between September and November. During this time, temperatures range from the high 20s to high 70s. https://travel.usnews.com/Santa_Fe_NM/When_To_Visit/

It is a good visiting area...

Taos:

A good site to visit: https://taos.org/

Also:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...staurants.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...6375-taos.html

Old 11-04-2019, 07:54 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times
Thanks for the great resources!

It sounds like now is the best time to go but it's too short notice...maybe mid-late spring as in April-May?

I think scenic landscapes as well as churches/architecture and some interesting food should fill the bill with maybe a museum or two. But is any of this in ABQ or is it mostly Santa Fe and Taos? Maybe it makes sense to just pass through ABQ and actually stay in Santa Fe?

Old 11-05-2019, 09:08 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,504,606 times
Albuquerque is the largest city in New Mexico...

Santa Fe is probably more historic and is only an hour drive from Albuquerque

List of populated places in New Mexico: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._in_New_Mexico

Albuquerque 545,852 Bernalillo City
Santa Fe 67,947 Santa Fe City
Taos 5,716 Taos Town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico