Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 4,591 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the beginning stages of researching retirement locations in NM. The east mountains area of Albuquerque intrique us because we'd like a more rural area while still being near city conveniences/medical facilities.

How concerned should we be with water issues around Edgewood, Tijeras, etc? Are the issues bad enough we should consider elsewhere, such as Alamogordo, Carrizozo areas?

What we'd like us 2 to 5 acres we could have some chickens on and be away from the rat race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 06:25 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
East Mountains are quite a bit cooler with more snow than Albuquerque, in case that matters.

As for water concerns, here is a good article:
https://nmpoliticalreport.com/2017/1...ast-mountains/

I appreciate the municipal water and sewer services living in Albuquerque. I can't speak to water security in Alamogordo or Carrizozo.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 4,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post

As for water concerns, here is a good article:
https://nmpoliticalreport.com/2017/1...ast-mountains/
Have read that article and seen the short video interview with them. That's what has me a bit leery of the area.

Are the areas north of Albuquerque in the same spot as the east mountains when it comes to water?

Old 02-09-2020, 08:03 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger62 View Post
Have read that article and seen the short video interview with them. That's what has me a bit leery of the area.

Are the areas north of Albuquerque in the same spot as the east mountains when it comes to water?
As the article says it's an issue all over the West. Placitas and Corrales depend on wells with no municipal system. Bernalillo and Rio Rancho have municipal water but it doesn't reach all areas in RR.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:07 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
I live in Placitas and the availability of water depends on where you live in the community. The closer you get to the base of the Sandias in the village proper, the more likely you need an individual or shared well.

There are a few water coops supplying other areas. We're 2-3 miles east of I-25 and are served by this coop:
La Mesa Water Cooperative | Owned and Operated By and For All Sundance Mesa and La Mesa Homeowners Placitas, New Mexico

Personally, water has not been a concern during the 20 years we've been here and I see no reason to be concerned for the future.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:11 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,373 times
Others may be able to speak more authoritatively, but I would imagine any groundwater-supply issues you'd run into in the East Mountains would also be a concern - perhaps a greater concern - in Alamogordo or Carrizoso. For example, know Alamogordo has already explored the possibility of building a desalinization plant due to concerns over their groundwater supply.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:55 AM

45 posts, read 44,405 times
I have lived in the East Mountains for almost 6 years now. Where we live there is a community water company. It services a large part of the East Mountains. It is well run and very forward thinking. We try to conserve as much water as possible, but the community water is of good quality and very reasonably priced in my opinion. My wife and I love it here and could not think of a place that we would rather live. Good luck in your retirement search.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:52 PM

11 posts, read 18,083 times
I'm considering purchasing a home in North Albuquerque Acres (about half a mile from North Star Elementary) which runs off a shared well. How reliable is water supply from the wells in these areas (any residents on the forum?)? Also is there any possibility of hooking up to City Water from this development?

Old 02-17-2021, 06:02 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times
I was looking at a gorgeous home in Cedar Crest a few years ago. How could such a large modern architectural house be only 50k? No water.....
The wells of NM and AZ are having to be redrilled, sometimes to the tune of 1,000 feet or more...The truth is that the desert sw is being drained from its aquifers without replenishing that water. Take a look at this site--usgs.gov
https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/w...center_objects

It shows some maps of water depletion of the aquifers and from there you can hunt for more info and discover the ugly truth--that the aquifers of the desert sw are on their way to drying up, some already have, some next week or whenever, a surprise to many landowners when they turn on the faucet and nothing comes out...and then some may have water for another 100 years.
Sinkholes are forming because the land is no longer supported.
There is a lot of water fights over rights in the desert sw all the way to CA. There are going to be winners and losers and nobody is going to promise that any real estate we buy will have water during our lifetimes. It's a valid fear to buy what is to be considered a retirement last home and fear that I'll be 85 and suddenly my home is worthless and the tap has run dry. It's not fear mongering because it is already happening to some land owners, the areas of Cedar Crest/Tijeras are just one of them.
So what do we do? I probably won't be around anymore in about 30 years. I can take my chances and probably will. I don't want my offspring to have to take me in at 85 because I have no water, but by 85 it's entirely possible that a lack of running water will be the last of my worries...
Part of Alamo's problem is the fracking and sinkholes, look it up, the water table is not only decreasing but the fracking is putting chemicals and salts back into the water that is left. It's a shame, all for big oil.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:31 PM

548 posts, read 1,216,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikexom View Post
I'm considering purchasing a home in North Albuquerque Acres (about half a mile from North Star Elementary) which runs off a shared well. How reliable is water supply from the wells in these areas (any residents on the forum?)? Also is there any possibility of hooking up to City Water from this development?
You will probably get more responses if you start your own thread. Wells in NAA are fairly reliable as a whole, but whether a particular well is reliable or not depends on the well itself (how deep it is, how old it is, etc.) I would definitely get it inspected before purchasing. I do not believe you can hook up to city water/sewer from that area (which, depending on where you are exactly, is probably technically in the county, not the city). If you like the area, and are nervous about wells, there are plenty of neighborhoods near North Star that have city water and sewer although you usually sacrifice land/privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico