Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 AM

946 posts, read 3,265,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Yeah, it's a lot of work most times to get good soil, but it can happen. I have dumped a ton of compost into my yard over the past 8 years, and I am finally starting to see a few earthworms. The downside: now I have more weeds to pull. It's always something, but I would rather have to weed than look at a dirt or rock yard.
With better soil, the weeds come out easier anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:09 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Humidity is not a term used in NM weather forcasts. Why bother reporting zero. In the winter!

Just joking but the Weather Channel did report a Las Cruces dew point temprature of 2 deg F a couple of days ago.
Thanks, GregW. On days like today (64 Degrees with 64%) that's music to my ears. We've booked a car (shame when you can rent and pay the fuel cheaper than you can pay the fuel on your own car!) for June 21st through the 28th. I've got sooo much hinged on this trip.......

Old 05-07-2008, 09:35 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
...We have been amending with coffee grounds obtained from a local coffeehouse, manure from nearby farms (sheep, goat and horse) and our own compost combined with composted cotton hulls. Most of the stuff is free or by barter. After four years, our landscape has gone from mudhole to thriving but still needs work. A warning about manure: fresh manure can over-nitrogen your plants if applied directly and burn them out. Make a "tea" of fresh manure, mixing the liquid with soil where needed.
Great info. Thanks for the post. I'm with Vinegaroon in that I'm just constantly putting some kind of organic materials in and have finally started to see some results. My sister just got a new property down by the river, and I realized how far my soil has come when I saw her untouched dirt.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
Great info. Thanks for the post. I'm with Vinegaroon in that I'm just constantly putting some kind of organic materials in and have finally started to see some results. My sister just got a new property down by the river, and I realized how far my soil has come when I saw her untouched dirt.
A piece of advice I learned long -- some soil is hard to amend. You just dig it up and throw it away. Question is -- where do you throw it?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 PM

203 posts, read 714,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
A piece of advice I learned long -- some soil is hard to amend. You just dig it up and throw it away. Question is -- where do you throw it?
Suggestion: if you got a lot of it, find a contractor looking for fill dirt. We used our worst dirt as fill in new concrete steps and to build up "topography"-- build up certain areas to alter drainage patterns and add relief to large flat areas.

We knew when we bought our house we were acquiring a major long-term project, but we didn't really understand the scope until we discovered the sizable "private landfill" area out our kitchen door. About 1000 sq ft of primary garden area consisted of a 4-8" layer of densely packed chip bags, aluminum cans, brake pads and fan belts topped by 2" layer clay soil. Oh the joy seeing a big chunk of our remodel money spent scraping and removing the trash.

Then we had a strange turn of luck. The city was about to install a new water main on our street. Turned out the feeder line to the dozen or so houses behind us was mis-mapped...we had a 1920s vintage 4" cast iron water main running under the middle of our house. Fearing the liability issues, the water dept. asked to reroute line through our trash pit area. We gladly agreed on condition they scrape and remove the entire trash layer. We were all happy our problems were resolved without cash outlay.

Last edited by jsc23; 05-07-2008 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-08-2008, 08:14 AM

Default Raised bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
About 1000 sq ft of primary garden area consisted of a 4-8" layer of densely packed chip bags, aluminum cans, brake pads and fan belts topped by 2" layer clay soil.
The other thing I do is raised beds. I'm lucky -- I have a truck -- I get animal 'droppings' from neighbors, mulch from the transfer station, and my son gets me free compost. And I mix in some soil.

I have to let it sit for a year or so while it literally cooks out there -- but then I have a raised bed and the landscape is a little more varied. I worry about planting too soon, but so far I have been okay -- maybe just lucky.

But -- I don't know if I could put a raised bed on top of that witch's brew you found???

Old 05-08-2008, 04:18 PM

29 posts, read 93,555 times
We live outside Aztec along the river and have all the water we can use for $100 a year, no restrictions. Get away from the rivers and it is desert land but near any of the 3 rivers here in the NW and you have water and people growing things. Our growing season is a few weeks shorter than Alb but I get around that with hotcaps and Walls o' Water.The area you live in will vary your restrictions, my brother has days and time he can take water, we have no limits in our neighborhood. We have a big garden, fruit trees and hay. Prices have dropped on properties like ours lately. Lots of homeschoolers up here too, RRR.

Mesavista

Old 12-29-2009, 05:25 PM

12 posts, read 29,329 times
Default Moving to Magdalena NM

I have some dumb (to some) questions about Magdalena and would be grateful for any responses.
Is their mains natural gas, or only propane gas bottles?
How do people get TV, Dish or cable?
How is the city water for drinking?
How do most people connect to the internet from their home?
Where is the nearest community swimming pool?
Which are the two best months, and the worst two months?
Is there a bus from Magdalena or Socorro to ABQ?
I have been tracking some properties, why have some houses under $100,000 been on the market for over a year? Are they still overpriced, or are there specific problems with them.
What questions should I have asked?
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico