Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:08 PM

127 posts, read 553,666 times

Advertisements

Just a tip: When coming through Zuni, please do not take pictures of the Kachinas. If you are caught taking any pictures of the kachinas. The police will confiscate your camera, memory card, or film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:27 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,273,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduly View Post
Just a tip: When coming through Zuni, please do not take pictures of the Kachinas. If you are caught taking any pictures of the kachinas. The police will confiscate your camera, memory card, or film.
In my experiance this is the way it is with most of the pueblos. I know many of them require to buy a permit to take pictures.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:34 PM

946 posts, read 3,256,426 times
Default Photos on pueblos

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
In my experiance this is the way it is with most of the pueblos. I know many of them require to buy a permit to take pictures.
Yes. As far as I know, the rule is get permission before taking photos or risk some sort of penalty. If there is a visitors' office, go there. Otherwise go to the administrative office.

I think this developed because tourists use to walk over -- even into people's homes -- taking photos. You can understand that the people on the pueblos would get tired of this.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,142,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
I believe many pueblos require a monetary donation before taking any photos. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:46 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,273,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I believe many pueblos require a monetary donation before taking any photos. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

I can tell you for sure on a few: San Ildefonso, Santa Clara, Santa Ana, Zia, San Felipe require a permit. I have been out pretty deep on the Isleta pueblo a few times but I cannot remember anything on the photo permit.

The Santa Ana is the most private they only open up there land a couple times a year for the harvest fest.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:43 PM

946 posts, read 3,256,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
All of the ones around here -- as far as I know -- do charge a fee for photos. However, I am near Santa Fe which in the past was a center for tourists who would take the train in and then auto tours to the pueblos.

Other pueblos may be different. Taos Pueblo charges you to enter. I don't know if photos are additional.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,998,650 times
My rule for photos is:

1.) Do not take pictures of Native Americans without asking first, and expect an honorarium may be requested.

2.) Do not take pictures of their residences, same applies. Do not take pictures of occupied historical towns, same applies.

3.) I don't feel any obligation to ask permission to take pictures of historical settlements that are not occupied in the present day.

This applies to all Native American lands in the four corners states (AZ, CO, NM, UT). I'm willing to be corrected if others believe to the contrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico