Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 01:18 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I saw many more people wearing masks on my weekly shopping trip in Albuquerque yesterday compared to the same time last week. Maybe 20% of shoppers were donning masks or other face coverings last week, while yesterday it seemed closer to 80%. Shows that people are paying attention to state and/or national recommendations. But most employees were not wearing face coverings.
Last week and the weekend prior I saw what seemed like a lot of people with masks, compared to earlier, but it was still maybe 50% of shoppers or less. 40% or so. Most people didn't have masks or other covering, a very few had bandanas. One of the staff people at the grocery was wearing a bandana. I couldn't figure out where everyone suddenly got the masks, since none have been available for a month.

This last weekend was a different picture, more in line with what I'd been expecting: About half of shoppers, maybe slightly more than half, were using scarves or bandanas. This more accurately reflects the mask shortage. I saw fewer masks then previously. Maybe about 20% still weren't using anything. Staff at my co-op now don't have to use masks, because the co-op has put up plexiglass barriers that run the length of the check-out counter. I think this is pretty cool. I haven't seen that in any other grocery store. Still, one or two checkers were using masks, anyway. This results in both parties having to get used to understanding muffled speech, lol. I guess that's going to be pretty common from here on in, for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 07:09 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,603,188 times
Okay, my first issue with the governor has emerged. I don't think it's right to be using the crisis to do social engineering. Under the new order they've now closed pay day loan places and liquor stores. What changed from the last order to now close these businesses? Nothing, except people deciding that those businesses are wrong and shouldn't be allowed to operate.

And now we have other businesses like the Silver Street Market trying to capitalize on the fact that they sell liquor but are able to stay open. If liquor stores aren't necessary then liquor sales shouldn't be necessary either, prohibit grocery stores from selling liquor. Microbreweries should be closed as well. Stop the sale of liquor completely. Nobody needs liquor to survive.

If I owned a liquor store I'd be furious to see something like this the day after my business was forced to close:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-vIvz0FQxY/

This is where government goes wrong on both sides. Using crises and tragedies to control how we live and decide what's best for us by pushing through ridiculous social engineering priorities. Like the governor in Texas using it to stop abortions to the governor of New Mexico using it to punish payday lenders. The liquor store inclusion was obviously meant to stop homeless and poor people from drinking, not well to do and rich people from having their wine and cocktails. That's why Total Wine thought they were good to go.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:09 PM

138 posts, read 143,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Last week and the weekend prior I saw what seemed like a lot of people with masks, compared to earlier, but it was still maybe 50% of shoppers or less. 40% or so. Most people didn't have masks or other covering, a very few had bandanas. One of the staff people at the grocery was wearing a bandana. I couldn't figure out where everyone suddenly got the masks, since none have been available for a month.
Maybe they're homemade. My wife found a pattern online and made 4 of them now. For filtering she cut up HEPA vacuum cleaner bags. The masks are cloth so they're washable and reusable.

There are quite a few advertised in emails I get. But I suspect most or all of those are disposable. Most of them are also KN95, a Chinese standard which is kind of close to US N95, maybe slightly better in a couple of ways and not so good in several others.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:53 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
I really don't know if where you buy masks or how you make them, even a scarf folded correctly can work, so for those who want to wear them, just use anything that will give you some protection. I for one am going to wear one for the first time today, but it is home made and very simple. We shall see. I just do not want the gov telling me what to do.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:14 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,902,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Nobody needs liquor to survive.
I have to disagree with this part. Some alcoholics will have serious, and even, rarely, life-threatening withdrawal symptoms if their supply of alcohol is cut off:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_...hdrawal-a-to-z

I agree that it's unfair to close liquor stores if places like Whole Foods are still allowed to sell wine, but cutting off access to alcohol across the board would be a bad idea.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:23 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeaux3 View Post
Maybe they're homemade. My wife found a pattern online and made 4 of them now. For filtering she cut up HEPA vacuum cleaner bags. The masks are cloth so they're washable and reusable.

There are quite a few advertised in emails I get. But I suspect most or all of those are disposable. Most of them are also KN95, a Chinese standard which is kind of close to US N95, maybe slightly better in a couple of ways and not so good in several others.
Yes, that's what the cashier said, but they all looked like medical masks, not home-made, which tend to be out of different cloth. But now more recently, masks out of a variety of cloth are showing up (on people).

Did anyone notice the news this week, that the Pueblos are turning out to be somewhat hard hit by the virus? It sounds like testing in those communities only began very recently, so they were under the radar, and when testing did finally happen, an unexpectedly large number of cases was found in some (Islata and Zia, for ex.). This demonstrates why widespread testing early on is important. I still don't understand why there's a continued shortage of test kits.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,508,687 times
Virus outbreaks in two pueblos
By Elise Kaplan / Journal Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, April 7th, 2020 at 11:37am

Quote:
Two mask-wearing Zia Pueblo members man a checkpoint at the entrance of the pueblo in Sandoval County just northwest of Rio Rancho on Tuesday. The community has been hit with an outbreak of coronavirus. (Adolphe Pierre-Louis/Journal)

Copyright © 2020 Albuquerque Journal

COVID-19 clusters have flared up in tribal communities this week, as more than 80 people have been infected with the virus in two pueblos in Sandoval County.

As of Tuesday evening, the Pueblo of San Felipe – about 20 miles north of Albuquerque off Interstate 25 – had 52 reported cases. Zia Pueblo – northwest of Rio Rancho – had 31 reported cases.
Entire Article At: https://www.abqjournal.com/1441183

Old 04-09-2020, 01:24 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,411,502 times
I have to disagree with this part. Some alcoholics will have serious, and even, rarely, life-threatening withdrawal symptoms if their supply of alcohol is cut off:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_...hdrawal-a-to-z

I agree that it's unfair to close liquor stores if places like Whole Foods are still allowed to sell wine, but cutting off access to alcohol across the board would be a bad idea.

Yes, you are correct, ApartmentNomad, it is very dangerous for an alcoholic ta just quit cold turkey. Gotta taper on down a step at a time or you'll be in bad shape quickly.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:44 PM

4,926 posts, read 7,289,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just do not want the gov telling me what to do.
This is a very typical American attitude and sadly also why the US will end up with far higher death rates from this disease than places like South Korea and Taiwan where people did what their governments were telling them to do.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:02 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times
I don't particularly like the government telling me what to do, but I do like good advice.

I certainly don't believe in cutting my nose off to spite my face.

People who are willing to put their own families and communities at (a very real) risk of death because they dislike following common sense guidelines given by a messenger they don't like are dangerous, reckless, and inhumane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico