Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:21 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,023,857 times

Advertisements

calm1inc,

What a lovely positive post!

I am going to give you your first rep points for that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 07:13 AM

5 posts, read 13,655 times
Default Las Vegas is not a mean town!

Lived here 3 years. Moved from San Diego with my family. It is not mean and the weather and landscape are beautiful. We have a university, community college and world college too. Stories of it being a mean town must be from a long time ago or from people who didn't really know the place.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:19 AM

107 posts, read 1,202,881 times
Wow from San Diego to New Mexico and you still think it's beautiful!? That's awesome considering San Diego is absolutely gorgous. We really love the New Mexico area from what we've researched. It's just going to be a matter of being able to afford the houses there. They are 2 1/2 times more expensive than here and double what we'd pay in the other state we'd move to. But the other state has terrible humidity. I guess we'll just see what the big guy upstairs has planned for us!

Rebecca

Old 05-26-2008, 08:27 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
Saturday, May 24th, at the Colorado/New Mexico state line northeast of Chama. First day of the "summer" season of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. (Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad). Blazing hot? I don't think so.

</TITLE> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.ngdeadgoatsaloon.com/bbs50/smilies/c_smiley.js"></script> <title>The Narrow Gauge Dead Goat Saloon

Old 05-26-2008, 01:52 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,983,652 times
Wink That you may love

Not sure if you have but surely advisable to visit New Mexico in person before making any firm decisions. Entirely aside from weather the regions and communities within New Mexico are distinctly different.

As so many have touched upon this I'd only add that generally the north side of the state cooler than the south, and elevation anywhere is paramount in what you will experience.

I'm not well versed in the Nebraska real estate market but would hazard that your cost of living will be higher in New Mexico. But it remains a generally poor state so even at $30k annually you'd be wealthier than many residents. Depends on what you are willing to sacrifice, as many live a relatively modest life.

Albuquerque has by far the largest job market in the state, so somewhere in the vicinity might suite you best not only in options but also salary. The nearby town of Corrales offers acreage and is a lovely place but way too expensive. For acreage at a reasonable price you'll probably have to be well removed from town. Any direction would do, but all different and only to east in the Sandia mountains will the greater elevation offer temperatures much different than Albuquerque, which will be consistently in the 90's, sometime 100's in the summer with often enjoyable evenings, and relatively moderate temperatures come winter. Neighborhoods vary quite a bit in feel, crime, etc. so advisable to choose carefully.

South of Albuquerque the only town of any real size is Las Cruces and it may be warmer in the summer than you prefer. It is also culturally different from communities along the upper Rio Grande. Although like anyplace in the state it will enjoy little humidity (hot days/cool evenings, hot in the sun/cool in the shade). The closest exception to this the relatively lower elevations of southeast New Mexico, being culturally and geographically distinct, largely farming communities. Or you might try somewhere in the southwest of the state, such as Silver City (largest in the region) which is a whole different enchilada.

While you might like Taos or Santa Fe, be advised both are expensive. (BUT possible). Although Santa Fe appreciably smaller than Albuquerque, and Taos just that much smaller than Santa Fe, either large enough to offer at least the realistic option of employment. Just know that on a modest salary you will have to make compromises. Most of the real money that is displayed in lovely restaurants, beautiful shop windows, and striking adobe residences comes from out of state. Each town is situated about 7,000 feet elevation with a moderately cool environment (warm summers/cool winters); Taos is a bit cooler than Santa Fe. Either climatically distinct from Albuquerque, being 2,000 feet lower and noticeably warmer. Santa Fe and Taos and the general region between is the artistic center of New Mexico. This in itself and the culture entwined so is a big draw for many people.

Should you venture to Taos (and you should) be sure to visit the Earthship communities west of the Gorge Bridge (which crosses the Rio Grande river). If on a modest income and interested in such things as farming, you might learn a lot. Among these how people have managed to live near a relatively very expensive place with modest means. Many of these dwellings are also designed to capture precipitation from their roofs and make very good use of what little water there is in this semi-arid climate. Quite useful when it comes to gardening, and many do on a small scale. These dwellings are also designed to make very good use of solar gain (and New Mexico generally enjoys a lot of sun); it is possible and some of these places actually grow banana plants inside in the dead of winter, with snow outside. This also often without the use of any outside utilities; in many cases these dwellings are purposefully not connected to the electric power grid.

Some of these places are almost palatial, others quite modest. The basic principle can be expanded in either direction. A bit south of the Earthship community proper, accessed by a well graded dirt road (running towards Carson), the community just below Three Peaks is illustrative of what might be accomplished with imagination and not much else. Dwellings run the gamut from well conceived and put together to questionable contrivances vaguely resembling a dwelling. Some of the same can also be viewed from the highway nearing Tres Piedras. Maybe not your cup of tea, but you might as well see the range of possibilities and what, in some unique ways, makes the region so charming.

If the culture and climate suite you you are sure to find something suitable to your liking. It would be easier to arrive in Santa Fe with piles of money, but many show up with far more credit in dreams and hopes. The inspiration they've drawn from the land and accomplished in consequence perhaps the intangible you'll embrace and come to love the most.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:01 PM

946 posts, read 3,264,470 times
Default Excellent

Idunn -- excellent post.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
I second that!

jazzlover: All I can say is, WOW. I had no idea there would be so much snow left so late in the season. (No wonder the grocery store in Chama had its roof collapse.) Beautiful images to see, as I sit here with the outdoor heat index around 100 F.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,394 times
I just moved here with my family and the weather here... it's horribly bad. They all say " If you don't like the weather, wait ten mins ".

I just moved here from NY. Think your having a hard time adjusting the weather? Think again.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:26 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,023,857 times
Amy1018,

Just wondering what it is about the weather in NM that you are finding "horribly bad".

I just moved here and I'm loving the weather!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,609,664 times
I grew up in Phoenix, moved here to ABQ from Tampa & Miami. To me, summer here is the best of both - sunny like Florida, but not humid, and not nearly as hot as Phoenix. Plus we cool off at night. I'm in seventh heaven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico