Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:04 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,192 times

Advertisements

Lets not forget one of the Prettiest Little Cities in N.M. Santa Rosa N.M.is soon to become one of the Greatest Tourist Attractions in N.M. rivaling with the over 100 million dollar UFO Park Roswell is Planning. Santa Rosa has the best Mexican food in the State plus lakes everywhere for Boating, fishing, The Pecos River, Hidden Lake, Twin Lakes, The BLUE HOLE, Park Lake the biggest swimming pool in the world. Santa Rosa Days, Fiestas,Bike Rallys, County Fair, Rodeos. There is lots of Contruction going on there so if you havent been there in years its gonna look different with all the Motels and tearing down of Buildings going on.They bought lots of equipment from the Beach Park in Albuquerque and are getting ready to set it up. South of Santa Rosa is Ft Sumner with the Billy the Kid Museum and Billy the Kid Grave and Ft Sumner lake. pintada kid at webtv dot net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 12:55 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
Great list also, 6/3

If I were in ABQ, I'd go north (typically higher) in summer and south (typically lower) in winter. Kind of ideal.

Mountainous (higher) areas in the south would also provide a break from summer heat.
The North has all the great Ski Resorts in the Winter Months and the South has Elephant Butte and Caballo reservoirs for the summer months so the whole state has something to offer anyone anytime of the year.

I really do like Red River, Eagles Nest and Angel Fire as you'd think there would have been more people flocking up there to live from around the USA.

Don't they have a bike rally in Red River every year like the Aspen Fest in Ruidoso Devin?

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 04-27-2008 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: addition 6/3

Old 04-27-2008, 03:31 PM

286 posts, read 1,322,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Don't they have a bike rally in Red River every year like the Aspen Fest in Ruidoso?
Not sure what type of bikes are at the Aspen Fest. If they're mountain bikes, they have the top of the mountain race in September (think it's the 6th or 7th of Sept this year). If motor cycles, the rally is Memorial Day weekend. Check out Red River, New Mexico for all the activities. I love this area year round, but in the summer and through fall foliage is also great. We always take visitors up on the chair lifts when they visit during summer. Amazing views!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:20 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Great list 6ft.3!! Got a few favorite spots of my own; Aztec Ruins Nat'l Mon., Capulin Volcano Natl. Mon.(25 miles east of Raton), Three Rivers Petroglyphs, Gila Cliff Dwellings nat'l Mon.(North of Silver City), Cumbres and Toltec RR, State hwy.12 from Datil to Cliff, Gran Quivira Nat'l Mon., White Sands, Sitting Bull Falls, and the big cahuna of the National Parks-Carlsbad Caverns.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:21 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Great list 6ft.3!! Got a few favorite spots of my own; Aztec Ruins Nat'l Mon., Capulin Volcano Natl. Mon.(25 miles east of Raton), Three Rivers Petroglyphs, Gila Cliff Dwellings nat'l Mon.(North of Silver City), Cumbres and Toltec RR, State hwy.12 from Datil to Cliff, Gran Quivira Nat'l Mon., White Sands, Sitting Bull Falls, and the big cahuna of the National Parks-Carlsbad Caverns.
All very good picks also Double H.....but most don't know about the hidden ''diamond in the rough'' so to speak of and that's the Guadalupe mountains down by Carlsbad. I have heard that Sitting Bull Falls is an awesome getaway and you can swim there and lots of great hiking and mountain biking and motor crossing. Infact just across the state line in Texas is the highest peak in all of Texas ( Guadalupe peak 8749 ft). I guess it being stuck down in the corner in the S.E. part of the state as it's isolated but i hear lots of people in El Paso make it out there to recreate quite a bit.

Google Image Result for http://www.peakware.com/photos/1961a.jpg

6/3

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 04-27-2008 at 07:49 PM..

Old 04-27-2008, 07:45 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
It IS awesome! By air miles I'm guessing it is only 15 miles to the caverns but on the ground it is 55 to 60. Rough area but beautiful. Lots of cactus. Camped out around 30 years ago there. Way cool!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:39 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Do you like New Mexican food as well? Can't beat that in ABQ / Santa Fe either.

Mexican food is okay, but New Mexican food is awesome.
I may not be sufficiently educated to answer your query. Whatever they serve in Santa Fe that's what I like. Maybe I'm using the wrong term.

You've got to consider where I'm coming from: Los Angeles. You know how big our Latino population is. Although I'm Caucasian I've sometimes felt that I'm part Latino just for living in LA.

Whatever it is, the Mexican or New Mexican food in Santa Fe is the best I've ever had. For eats alone I'd live in Santa Fe if I could.

Actually the only thing that's stopping me is that I'm a bit put off by real estate prices. I don't think I can afford a home in Santa Fe.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:43 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,939 times
Default Consider other places in New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Actually the only thing that's stopping me is that I'm a bit put off by real estate prices. I don't think I can afford a home in Santa Fe.
If you own a home in LA, then you should be able to afford a home in Santa Fe. If not, then you really should consider other places in New Mexico. Many of them have good New Mexican food.

(After the fact edit: I hope my message above doesn't sound unwelcoming -- if you can afford Santa Fe, come here and enjoy yourself. I just don't want you to pass up New Mexico because you can't afford Santa Fe.)

Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Lovehound:

I would suspect if you liked the restaurants in Santa Fe, you were probably eating New Mexican cuisine, as that is more prevalent in the Santa Fe restaurants than Mexican, at least in my experience.

La Choza, Maria's, Diego's Cafe, Guadalupe Cafe, Blue Corn Cafe, and the Pantry/Flying Tortilla are my favorite New Mexican places in Santa Fe....although I still have plenty more to try.

Which places have you eaten in Santa Fe that you liked the best?

I agree with Devin ~ if you are selling a home in California, seems like you should be able to afford something in Santa Fe. I hope you will find a way to make it happen if you really love the city and want to live there.

I agree with you and your love for Santa Fe cuisine. I think it is the best food in the country!

Old 04-27-2008, 10:52 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Blue Corn Cafe is my fave place in Santa Fe Towanda, they have great Microbrew too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico