U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 451 times

Advertisements

We are considering purchasing a lot to place a travel trailer and use as a weekend getaway in Timberon, NM. Our primary residence is on the South Western side of the state on the edge of the Gila National Forest. Our income comes form oil & gas with my spouse's office in Artesia. We also own land north of Artesia where he parks his trailer man camp style for oilfield work and he makes the 5.5 hour drive home every other weekend to the Western side of the state. We are not interested in selling our primary residence any time soon to move to Timberon permanently but possibly in the future. Employment and schools are not a concern for us just a halfway get-away spot so as a couple we can spend more time together. My question is how is the cellular service? Who are the Internet providers? How difficult is it to tap into the power and water? Is there a grocery store in Cloudcroft? Many thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 10:29 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,079,139 times
Restrictive Covenants – http://www.timberon.org
Before you continue, might want to see if trailers without fixed foundations are allowed.
And no internet from what I've read, has to be done via satellite service.
Also no real grocery store in Cloudcroft, the 200-300 that reside in Timberon must go to Alamogordo or El Paso.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:37 PM

3,580 posts, read 3,180,089 times
I suggest that you search this forum for Timberon related threads. There have a couple, including a long one.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:00 PM

7,594 posts, read 7,176,463 times
You could poach groceries from Cloudcroft. You would be paying 1 1/2 times the going price, though.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:14 AM

13,531 posts, read 3,566,918 times
I have looked into that area. Very inexpensive land. No cell service. No internet. If you really want to rough it and disconnect from the world while you are up there it would work. But I don't believe you can keep even a 5th wheel on the property year round. You would need to take it back with you or store it in a rv park storage space. I think you need to install a septic system to use the property anytime you want.

It might make more sense to just park your trailer at a RV park near Cloudcroft. Pull your trailer into a space for the weekend and then park it in a storage space when you are not there. There is a place near Cloudcroft called Sugar Pines. Their price includes cable and wifi and showers. There are others in the area.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have looked into that area. Very inexpensive land. No cell service. No internet. If you really want to rough it and disconnect from the world while you are up there it would work.

Did you visit?.
I have a laundry list of lots there to view, only am waiting for least semi-normal societal conditions prior to driving 1,400 miles each way.
Considering the national sun observatory is just up the road, am guessing satellite should cover the internet quite well; or at least better than most every other part of the country.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:05 PM

13,531 posts, read 3,566,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Did you visit?.
I have a laundry list of lots there to view, only am waiting for least semi-normal societal conditions prior to driving 1,400 miles each way.
Considering the national sun observatory is just up the road, am guessing satellite should cover the internet quite well; or at least better than most every other part of the country.
That is what is interesting in a good and perhaps not good way. There are lots of affordable lots available. I guess the remoteness and lack of services keeps the prices down. And at that elevation it gets very cold in the winter if you want to be there full time. I am looking at summer only. They had a wildfire a few years back and that is always a concern with all the trees.

No I have not yet been there. I might in a couple weeks when I head near by. The road going up from Alamagordo has warning signs about the steep grade. I usually drive my economy car which is a little older I am worry about it making up without problems. You can go in the back way from I believe Roswell which is a slower climb. I may take a different vehicle and check it out.

I would agree satellite would work for internet and TV also if one wants that.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:25 PM

4,276 posts, read 7,754,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Alamagordo has warning signs about the steep grade.

It's not THAT steep! But it is a steady grade for the 12 miles or so from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft. Going uphill a car in poor condition could possibly overheat. And going downhill it's nice to have a vehicle that can be downshifted into a lower gear in order to use the braking action of the engine rather than riding the brakes. I can think of no reason not to drive that grade with a car in good working order.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:41 AM

7,594 posts, read 7,176,463 times
It's not THAT steep! But it is a steady grade for the 12 miles or so from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft. Going uphill a car in poor condition could possibly overheat. And going downhill it's nice to have a vehicle that can be downshifted into a lower gear in order to use the braking action of the engine rather than riding the brakes. I can think of no reason not to drive that grade with a car in good working order.

And if your car or truck loves picking up speed going downhill on the return trip to Alamogordo, be awake! It will require several pressurized sessions on your brakes to keep things kosher coming down the hill. If, like joqua says, you can brake with your engine do so as often as you can. There is a runaway truck ramp coming down the hill but most modern vehicles should have no problems going up the hill to Cloudcroft and coming back down the hill to Alamogordo.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post

There's a shorter way in from the south, up Sacramento River Rd.
Only judging by satellite, looks like it requires a 4X4 with some healthy clearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico