Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:39 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That's beside the point. I was glad to have the link...their blankets, rugs and accessories look GORGEOUS.

I may just tear off and buy a blanket for a bedspread one day, expensive or not, LOL!!

WELL -- I realized that Towanda knew that the village is Hispanic -- BUT -- in the context of the thread I feared that readers might think that Chimayo weavings were Native-American.

Go, for instance, to eBay where sellers frequently list items done by the "Chimayo Indians."

I too love the weavings, and have eight or nine of them on the walls. Most of mine are pre-WWII, a time when there were more weavers in Chimayo and not just the Ortegas -- who had a grocery store that also sold weavings.

For Chimayo, come up 84/285 from Santa Fe and head east on 503 and watch for the sign to Chimayo.

if anybody comes up this way -- they can also go west on 502 to San Ildefonso Pueblo where Maria and Julian Martinez rediscovered/reinvented a lost art of pottery about a hundred years ago and where artists still sell their work. Then north to Santa Clara Pueblo on 30 and a somewhat different tradition of pottery.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 04-30-2008 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
When we went to Acoma Pueblo, there were Indians there sellling craft items. We didn't have a lot of time to look at it and I don't know what the quality was, but I am assuming (I hope I am not wrong) that it was made by Acoma Indians.

Also, one time when we stopped for gas at Santa Domingo Pueblo between Santa Fe and ABQ there were some Indian women there selling their crafts, mostly jewelry and bread. I bought a really neat necklace, and the woman I bought it from sold it to me for half price because I was her first customer of the day.

Once in the Four Corners area, I bought some jewelry from a nice young Indian man. My husband bought a piece of pottery, and they threw in a piece of wall art.

I don't go around studying and examining the stuff I buy to determine the quality. If I like it, I might buy it. I don't know the difference and 99% of the people in my life would not either.

There are lots of opportunities in NM to shop for cool stuff.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:29 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Directly from the Natives themselves, right at the Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe.

I usally buy something from them each year. The tourist office says that they have to be from the tribe and certain percent true to the tribe. Last year bought a braclet from a Navojo (sp) man. Love it.
Of course it is really neat to visit the Governer's Palace every year. I am a weaver myself and find the weaving in New Mexico to be very and I mean very high. Of couse, their weaving is far superior to mine but still it is a bit much.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:35 AM

I absolutely love going to the Palace of the Governors to look at the stuff the Indians are selling. I also have been told the jewelry needs to be "authentic", as in actually made by the Indians at their pueblos/reservations. It doesn't really matter to me...

What I love the most is the interaction with the Native Americans who are selling there. I love to engage them in conversation .. some of them will talk to you and some won't. It is also fun to hear them speaking their native languages.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:42 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
WELL -- I realized that Towanda knew that the village is Hispanic -- BUT -- in the context of the thread I feared that readers might think that Chimayo weavings were Native-American.

Go, for instance, to eBay where sellers frequently list items done by the "Chimayo Indians."

I too love the weavings, and have eight or nine of them on the walls. Most of mine are pre-WWII, a time when there were more weavers in Chimayo and not just the Ortegas -- who had a grocery store that also sold weavings.

For Chimayo, come up 84/285 from Santa Fe and head east on 503 and watch for the sign to Chimayo.

if anybody comes up this way -- they can also go west on 502 to San Ildefonso Pueblo where Maria and Julian Martinez rediscovered/reinvented a lost art of pottery about a hundred years ago and where artists still sell their work. Then north to Santa Clara Pueblo on 30 and a somewhat different tradition of pottery.
Thanks for the information on weavings/pottery. That is going to be a summer drive one year. I bet your old weavings are beautiful!

As for art of any kind...and authenticity....the only thing that matters to me is whether I like it or not! If I don't, it won't be in my house.

I have a collector friend who collects according to artist/original works, et al....and he has some pieces that--to me--are quite ugly!

I wouldn't want to look at those every day, LOL!! To each his/her own.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:12 PM

Wink I try not to buy ugly

Quote:
I have a collector friend who collects according to artist/original works, et al....and he has some pieces that--to me--are quite ugly!
This area -- and New Mexico in general -- has IMO a fascinating history and set of artistic traditions. And I enjoy having -- in my home -- items that represent this history and tradition.

But I try not to buy ugly. IMO -- it is a matter of taste -- the older weavings are usually better done and I can sometimes get them cheaper than I can the new ones at the Ortega's shop.

On the other hand, Towanda's custom piece is undoubtedly a beauty. And if I want a set of matched place mats for a gift -- then Ortega's is it.

Ultimately, it is a question of taste. That is why we all hang them on our own walls.

And if my wife thinks it's ugly -- that's the end of it.

Incidentally, there is (or used to be) a place in Las Vegas on the plaza where Hispanic weavers work and sell their pieces.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 05-01-2008 at 01:27 PM..

Old 05-01-2008, 01:20 PM

Default Hey Devin!

Have you ever gone out to the rug auction at Crownpoint? That is something we have wanted to do for years ... now that we will be retired and actually living out there .... we're looking forward to going.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM

LOLOLOL!!!!

I was offered some pieces of jewelry to wear to a party by same....and I politely refused, without being so blunt as to say I would not be caught dead wearing such c***!! Ditto on displaying other pieces in my home.

It IS a matter of taste. But the only thing that matters to him is how much they're "worth." He doesn't seem to grasp the concept that it's worth only what someone will pay you, regardless of "book value."

Having said that, he does have a few pieces of Native American pottery that are quite beautiful.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Default Veto

Quote:

LOLOLOL!!!!
And recently she has started muttering "looks like a rug store" under her breath. So nothing more from Chimayo.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
And recently she has started muttering "looks like a rug store" under her breath. So nothing more from Chimayo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico