Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 10:53 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those people who want to go to every state in the country. New Mexico is an interesting one because I don't think I'd ever fly into New Mexico but more likely come from Phoenix area.

I could always come from Texas but the only place in Texas I plan on visiting near New Mexico is Odessa & that's just on the South East corner of New Mexico.

If I were to come from Phoenix area what would you recommend checking out?

I've thought of possibly venturing into Albuquerque since it's a well known city & anything worth checking out in that direction would be something I'd like to know.

I know Phoenix is about 6-7 hours from Albuquerque so I think the idea would be to fly into Phoenix & drive out there & stay a day. Then head back an opposite way (I40).

Btw this isn't a trip happening until at the earliest next Feb/March. Hopefully our situation with Covid is much better by then. '

Thanks for info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 12:22 PM

14 posts, read 11,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I'm one of those people who want to go to every state in the country. New Mexico is an interesting one because I don't think I'd ever fly into New Mexico but more likely come from Phoenix area.

I'm confused... why not just fly into Albuquerque? If you want to spend time in NM, why spend 14 hours on the road driving from another state?

Also, you really aren't leaving yourself much time to enjoy NM, which is a fairly large state, though lightly populated. The best things, in my opinion, are fairly spread out. Albuquerque alone will take you a day, but I don't think that is the best place to spend your time? Depends on what interests you as well.

I would recommend allowing a few more days and exploring between Santa Fe and Taos, seeing the Jemez Mts, visiting hot springs, Bandelier, etc. That is probably the most efficient use of a several day trip to NM, but trying to do anything for just one day in New Mexico is somewhat pointless?

Old 08-17-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPG2020 View Post
I'm confused... why not just fly into Albuquerque? If you want to spend time in NM, why spend 14 hours on the road driving from another state?

Also, you really aren't leaving yourself much time to enjoy NM, which is a fairly large state, though lightly populated. The best things, in my opinion, are fairly spread out. Albuquerque alone will take you a day, but I don't think that is the best place to spend your time? Depends on what interests you as well.

I would recommend allowing a few more days and exploring between Santa Fe and Taos, seeing the Jemez Mts, visiting hot springs, Bandelier, etc. That is probably the most efficient use of a several day trip to NM, but trying to do anything for just one day in New Mexico is somewhat pointless?

I appreciate your response. I guess I could fly into NM but I know that I would not be spending more than a couple days there & it cost extra to drop off a rental car at a different airport.

The original plan was to fly into Phoenix on let's say a Friday. I'd drive to NM & explore some for 1-2 days. Then drive back to Phoenix for Spring Training baseball games.

My goal is to visit 50 states so there will be some states where I can't do but so much but to me just going to Albuquerque and having kind of a road trip would check that box. Basically majority of vacation would be Phoenix/Arizona but I dont' want to spend a full week there & NM makes more sense to venture into than when I go down to Texas. If I do it when I'm visiting Texas I'd have even less time.

I could see myself driving into NM the day I land in Phoenix. Get a hotel. Then explore the next day & get a hotel within a few hours of Phoenix.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:11 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
In Feb/Mar, you are likely going to have some winter weather between Phoenix and ABQ. If you take I-17 to Flagstaff, you'll be over 7,000 feet and, at that time, it might be 50 and sunny there or 20 and snowing. If you take the Payson route, it will be the same or worse. Plan carefully.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:36 PM

52 posts, read 26,421 times
Consider this:

60 to Show Low, 61/53 past Zuni Pueblo to El Morro, 53 past El Malpais to Grants, then 40 to Gallup to stay overnight (El Rancho Hotel?).

Next day, hit Chaco Canyon, and stay overnight in Albuquerque.

And then it would be one long boring drive back to Phoenix.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
In Feb/Mar, you are likely going to have some winter weather between Phoenix and ABQ. If you take I-17 to Flagstaff, you'll be over 7,000 feet and, at that time, it might be 50 and sunny there or 20 and snowing. If you take the Payson route, it will be the same or worse. Plan carefully.
Good info! I appreciate that.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:23 AM

111 posts, read 238,155 times
Definitely more interesting things to see in NM coming from Phoenix than from Odessa - unless you just like seeing oil wells....

Although I suppose the Odessa trip could include visiting Carlsbad Caverns.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:59 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Santa Fe is the top destination for most visitors to New Mexico, but pretty far from Phoenix by car. It has the history and unique architecture, but if it is a rushed visit you'll have no time to soak it in.

If you just want to check a box that says you've been to New Mexico, and you're coming by car from Phoenix, you could drive to Las Cruces (about 5 1/2 hours), stay there, and see nearby White Sands National Park on your full day (50 min. from Las Cruces), an iconic New Mexico location definitely worth your time.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:07 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
The above would give someone new to New Mexico a crash course in greatness.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:26 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I appreciate your response. I guess I could fly into NM but I know that I would not be spending more than a couple days there & it cost extra to drop off a rental car at a different airport.

The original plan was to fly into Phoenix on let's say a Friday. I'd drive to NM & explore some for 1-2 days. Then drive back to Phoenix for Spring Training baseball games.

My goal is to visit 50 states so there will be some states where I can't do but so much but to me just going to Albuquerque and having kind of a road trip would check that box. Basically majority of vacation would be Phoenix/Arizona but I dont' want to spend a full week there & NM makes more sense to venture into than when I go down to Texas. If I do it when I'm visiting Texas I'd have even less time.

I could see myself driving into NM the day I land in Phoenix. Get a hotel. Then explore the next day & get a hotel within a few hours of Phoenix.
To spend 14 hours driving to and from New Mexico just to say you've been there is doing a disservice to yourself, Arizona and New Mexico. Two days in New Mexico will scratch the surface but it's not near enough time. Never mind that you spent two days getting there and back.

And Arizona. There is so much spectacular stuff to see and do in Arizona that it would be tough to get it all in in a week. If you want to see the state it would be a crime if you spent too much time watching exhibition baseball. The only people I would suggest that to are people who don't care anything all about scenery and culture and only care about baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico