Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 07:25 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times

Advertisements

The series Longmire, was also filmed in Las Vegas!

Check out Silver City, NM - may be the town you’re looking for. We have a small state university, outstanding organic food coop, excellent weekly farmers market, good restaurants, music & theater scene...and best of all, we’re the gateway to the Gila Wilderness!

I need to check out the Gila Cliffs and all those Gila Forest preserves up north, too. I'll never get to all of them. I love driving through those canyons east of Silver City heading towards T&C and I-25. Beautiful.

There's a semi-ghost town east of Silver City with people still living there but some really old buildings off to the right when you come in to town. It has a Spanish name that I can't remember. I stopped the car there when we last visited Silver City and poked around a bit. Really cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 09:21 PM

64 posts, read 104,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
[i]
There's a semi-ghost town east of Silver City with people still living there but some really old buildings off to the right when you come in to town. It has a Spanish name that I can't remember. I stopped the car there when we last visited Silver City and poked around a bit. Really cool.
Mogollon, NM!

https://newmexiconomad.com/new-mexic...owns-mogollon/

Old 01-16-2021, 09:28 PM

Mogollon, NM!

Oh, I would love this place, bjaxon!

Pinos Altos is the one I was trying to remember the name of. It has serious history as a place where gold was discovered in 1860. Also, the Chiricahua Apache were involved there in a skirmish with the U.S. Cavalry. This is true old fashioned cowboy and Indian territory. The whole state of New Mexico was and still is.

No wonder I love it so much!

https://www.newmexico.org/places-to-...s/pinos-altos/

Old 02-06-2021, 12:56 PM

64 posts, read 104,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Mogollon, NM!

Oh, I would love this place, bjaxon!

Pinos Altos is the one I was trying to remember the name of. It has serious history as a place where gold was discovered in 1860.

No wonder I love it so much!

https://www.newmexico.org/places-to-...s/pinos-altos/
And whilst in Pinos Altos (post Covid), check out The Buckhorn Saloon. Live music on the weekends in the bar - concerts in the main room once or twice a month.

The restaurant is very good.

The Buckhorn Saloon & Opera House ~ Pinos Altos, NM

Lots'O history in these parts.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:31 PM

5 posts, read 7,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoster View Post
My wife and I are moving back to the US after an extended period abroad and we are currently looking at places that meet our criteria.

Here is what is most important to us in terms of places to live:
1. Friendly people.
2. Good healthcare.
3. Small/medium sized city (perhaps around 10K - 30K people).
4. Reasonable COL with nice homes available for under 300K without high property taxes.
5. Warmer rather than colder weather, without significant extremes and with lots of natural beauty.
6. Local government that respects human rights and does not infringe on Constitutionally protected activities.
7. Excellent internet access.
8. Low crime - High safety.
9. Nowhere there has been rioting, looting or burning during the recent protests.

Pluses would be:
1. Organic markets.
2. Vegetarian options for dining.
3. Educational opportunities for my wife (ESL classes, perhaps a university or college if she chooses to attend).

Things that do not matter to us:
1. Job prospects - I work online.
2. Education - We intend to homeschool.

Please make some suggestions.

Thanks!
I read the suggestions and didn't see Santa Teresa. I understand wanting to stay in the Albuquerque metro area but Santa Teresa is a nice, small community that is growing. The great thing is that it's 25 minutes outside of El Paso, TX. Let El Paso be your source over Albuquerque. That's just my opinion

Old 04-05-2021, 09:12 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewinnova View Post
Yes, Los Alamos would certainly not have nearly as much of the stereotypical NM vibe as other places in the state. It does indeed seem like it may as well be on the moon. It almost feels like an upper-middle class suburb was scooped out of a major metro area and placed in a beautiful mountain setting. While the surrounding area is undoubtedly pretty, the town itself always felt more than a little generic to me. Of course it is also unlike most other places in the state in that drug culture/crime is not really much of an issue and it has a highly-educated populace. Like every place, it has its pluses and minuses. For Skoster it's primary weaknesses are the relatively cool climate and the higher cost of real estate. Outside of these, Los Alamos ticks off a lot of boxes on his list.
Nearby White Rock has RE within the OP's budget, along with the other pluses s/he's looking for. It's close enough that residents can participate in LA events, activities and amenities.

I wonder if the OP ever found a location and settled in to NM life.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:40 AM

And whilst in Pinos Altos (post Covid), check out The Buckhorn Saloon. Live music on the weekends in the bar - concerts in the main room once or twice a month.

The restaurant is very good.

The Buckhorn Saloon & Opera House ~ Pinos Altos, NM

Lots'O history in these parts.

Post-COVID, yes. Thanks for the tip. Always looking for a different music venue and open to viewing and hearing new (ta me) talent.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:55 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Nearby White Rock has RE within the OP's budget, along with the other pluses s/he's looking for. It's close enough that residents can participate in LA events, activities and amenities.

I wonder if the OP ever found a location and settled in to NM life.
White Rock's tiny, though. And verrrrry sleepy from what I hear.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:30 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
White Rock's tiny, though. And verrrrry sleepy from what I hear.
But it ticks all the OP's boxes, especially if you include LA for restaurants, events, and such.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:45 PM

White Rock would work with close enough proximity to what the OP is looking for, overall. Sometimes small is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico