U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,159,654 times
Default Price of Gas Affecting Your Local Site-Seeing?

We live in Placitas and, before gas prices soared, would drive to our favorite spots in Albuquerque, the Jemez Valley, Santa Fe, etc., without giving it a second thought.

Now, however, we find ourselves spending more time at home. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 06:20 AM

33,256 posts, read 27,250,049 times
The price of gas, airline tickets, lodging and food has forced us to postpone our planned vacation/real estate search in New Mexico until next summer. We have already visited southwest NM in May and wanted to visit central NM in summer to see if living there year round was feasible.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:38 AM

7,646 posts, read 10,942,325 times
As far as the usual weekend goes, yes, we won't drive nearly as much. However, it will not deter us from our vacation this summer to Durango.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 AM

6,837 posts, read 10,298,272 times
Normal travel is cut short, I have actually saved alot of $$ by getting a motorbike vs using the cage (car!) so I am saving anyway. It wont deter my yearly trips though.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 AM

918 posts, read 1,701,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The price of gas, airline tickets, lodging and food has forced us to postpone our planned vacation/real estate search in New Mexico until next summer. We have already visited southwest NM in May and wanted to visit central NM in summer to see if living there year round was feasible.
I really hate to hear that GregW. I've always enjoyed your posts and thought you'd have some great insights from your next visit. I understand though. For our part, we swapped vehicles so my wife is driving the more fuel efficient car normally because she tends to get more miles and they're on the highway. I've got business and family in Santa Fe and without noticing, I realize I've been heading up less often and trying to do more while I'm up. Our summer travel plans are still on, but we've set aside an amount I would have never dreamed of for this trip in the past because the increased energy costs touches just about everything in the economy, not just the gas.

As an aside, I've got a buddy of mine that filled his Suburban (I know what you're thinking, but it's America and we're free to make our choices, even if they're nuts!) the other day and it cost him $100.00. Why $100 even? It wasn't full. Turns out that's the most that will be authorized to your card on one swipe at an auto gas pump. He has to fill the Suburban once a week. My wife and I just saw the new Ford Explorer Hybrid at the recent auto show in town. 32 city 35 highway. Obviously an Explorer isn't as big as a Suburban, but most of the time it's only carrying one person anyway. Get a small trailer to pack stuff for the special trips and pocket the rest you save.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:46 PM

262 posts, read 582,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
We live in Placitas and, before gas prices soared, would drive to our favorite spots in Albuquerque, the Jemez Valley, Santa Fe, etc., without giving it a second thought.
Now, however, we find ourselves spending more time at home. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

I'm in Farmington. Needless to say, the oil and gas bidnezz is pretty good these days. I see only the tinyist amount of retraction. Home sales are down significantly from last year (around 25% 1qtr YOY), but every restaurant in town is full all the time and new ones are still opening. I do hear lots of groaning about fuel and grocery prices, and I expect that as local wages level off the the bite will hurt more and more. The labor shortage has been so severe in the last few years that wages increased enough to keep up with rising prices. That may not continue, and then the howling will start and all the toys will get parked with "For Sale" signs on them.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:19 PM

104 posts, read 244,047 times
Travelers have pulled out their marbles for better odds. There are plenty travelers on the roads but they are using better discimination of their destinations. Staying at home isn't the answer. Shorter trips, and longer stays seems to be the trend. I won't be driving to San Antonio for a green chile burger anytime soon but I haven't been there in years. Maybe it's time. But then maybe I'll plan to do more than just a burger and take in White Sands too.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:50 AM

574 posts, read 1,409,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
As an aside, I've got a buddy of mine that filled his Suburban (I know what you're thinking, but it's America and we're free to make our choices, even if they're nuts!) the other day and it cost him $100.00.
Oh, my gosh--I can remember when we used to put in one dollar's worth of gas and we could drive for a good while on it.

~clairz

Old 05-07-2008, 07:56 AM

574 posts, read 1,409,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Sorry to hear that, too, Greg. But don't worry, you will love the summers in New Mexico. Trust me. Save your vacation trip money and apply it to the moving fees.

Just think of all the fun you could be having in New Mexico with the money you would otherwise be spending on gas while sitting in traffic on your way to work in Boston, and on oil for heating your way through another everlasting winter.

~clairz

Old 05-07-2008, 09:47 AM

918 posts, read 1,701,878 times
The Journal reported today that ridership for ABQ Ride (Bus service) is on a record pace and looks to see 10 million passengers. The Rail Runner Express saw a 35% increase last month as compared to a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico