U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2006, 11:30 AM

7 posts, read 24,101 times

Advertisements

Decided to add this new thread. If you had to choose between Farmington, Las Cruces or Alamogordo which would you pick and why? My wife and I are looking for decent paying jobs with a decent apartment until we decide to buy. We also need good healthcare as my parents are going too. They are on fixed income (very limited) and need alot of healthcare. We are also looking for a low crime area. Also what do you think of a spot between Las Cruces and El Paso in case we find work either direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 12:47 PM

253 posts, read 994,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM or AZ bound View Post
Decided to add this new thread. If you had to choose between Farmington, Las Cruces or Alamogordo which would you pick and why? My wife and I are looking for decent paying jobs with a decent apartment until we decide to buy. We also need good healthcare as my parents are going too. They are on fixed income (very limited) and need alot of healthcare. We are also looking for a low crime area. Also what do you think of a spot between Las Cruces and El Paso in case we find work either direction?
Hello!

I can't comment on Farmington, since I haven't been there. Its probably greener than LC or El Paso, and if weather/temperature/scenery is important to your health & well-being, then consider this town first. Take into consideration the A/C bills in the summertime too, since your parents are seniors. A/C for us in the summer (Las Cruces) is about $80/month thru El Paso Electric Co.

RE employment: a lot would depend on what sort of jobs you are looking for. There are highly skilled jobs with the defense contractors, however, most of these positions require a Top Secret clearance. If you have that or at least a Secret clearance, you may be OK (I hate to send you off in the wrong direction). So, if you have engineering/software/systems skills/admin skills, I would rather that you consider Los Alamos lab or the area north of Albuquerque (Rio Rancho??) as opposed to El Paso. You could also consider Las Cruces for those same reasons.

If you have other skills, El Paso has a lot more job choices than LC, imo. Some Texans are moving to Anthony, NM (on the states' border) due to high property taxes in TX. Best thing would be to visit the El Paso times website and see what's out there for you: elpasotimes.com

The Las Cruces paper is the Las Cruces Sun-News and they have a website too, which I do not recall at this time, but you could do a google search. One thing: the Sun-News has more jobs listed in the paper than online.

As far as crime is concerned, its a mixed bag, imo. LC seems *somewhat* safe to me, but on the other hand, I do watch where I park and do look around me. From what locals have told me (and they have lived in Northern NM too) LC is safer than ALBQ or El Paso. El Paso has a safe area called Sunland Park (westside of town off of the 10 fwy) and the apt rents there range from $475 to about $550 for the better apts. I do not advise living any other place in El Paso other than Sunland Park. Good doctors are there and they do not charge sales tax as in NM (whose idea was this???).

In Las Cruces, Mountain View Medical Center is the one to go to (or so we have been told). A lot of doctors offices here but except for a walk-in clinic, I do not have any experience with them.

HTH!

~Cali-girl

Old 12-30-2006, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 24,101 times
Thanks Cali-Girl

My wife and I both worked for Electric Utility..I was in customer service she is an admin asst. I also have banking experience (low paying jobs though in the bank) How long have you been in Las Cruces and what do you like about it and dislike about it? I have to admit I get bored living in one area after awhile and like a change of scenery but with my parents moving with us (separate places) they do not want to keep moving around and would like to be "settled". However, they do not have to work (retired) and their only concerns are weather, healthcare and low crime and affordable housing whereas my wife and I have to think of jobs and health insurance etc. We do not have kids so schooling is not an issue.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:09 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,972,978 times
Then of the three cities you mentioned and for what you ask i'd definitly say Las Cruces is your best bet. Farmington 40,000 pop is mainly Natural Gas refineries as its main industry. Alamogordo 35,000 pop caters to Holloman AFB is its main money maker and Las Cruces at 85,000 pop has NMSU and White Sands Missle Range. Las Cruces has the biggest hospitals and most medical services out of the three.

As far as recreation of the three well Farmington has 3 beautiful rivers going thru the city with fly fishing and a riverwalk. Alamogordo has the beautiful Sacramento mountains with pine trees,mountain streams/lakes,camping ski resorts etc ..within about 25 minute drive and Las Cruces has the beautiful Oregon mountains (rugged) and only an hour from the largest lake in New Mexico (Elephant Butte)..

So there's some info for you to ponder and welcome to our BEAUTIFUL state.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:40 AM

476 posts, read 2,088,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM or AZ bound View Post
I live in Famington so I will try to tell you about it. It is a pretty big city. It isnt as big as Albuquerque but it isnt small either. It is green down on the rivers with lots of trees. Up in the hills it is desert and barren. There are lots of stores to shop. It has lots of places to work, banks, lots of industrial, stores, construction, and so on. I like it. It isnt far from Durango which is a beautiful, small city in the mountains and there is a ski resort north of there so you can ski too. Farmington isnt as hot as most of New Mexico. It gets a little snow once in a while in winter that melts quickly. It has riverwalks, nice restaurants and the rivers. There is one big nice hospital. It must be pretty good because they bring people from other places to there. HTH.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:22 AM
TKO

2,144 posts, read 2,800,620 times
Personally I live in Las Cruces because I choose it. The weather in Farmington is just too cold. Very different than the southern part of the state. Snow here comes and is gone within a day. Job wise Cruces is also much better situated than either Alamo or Farmington. You've got the University, Local State and Fed government. The service industries are growing along with us. Here's a link to an article in today's Sun-News about population growth.

"Sun-News reports
Las Crucens toasting 2006 can look forward to the coming year that promises as many triumphs and trials as the one we are leaving behind.

Population numbers are expected to continue to grow, reaching 90,000 early in 2007. Development is expected to move forward at a breakneck pace. Buildings and public spaces will continue to sprout.

As in the year past, change will likely be a constant for southern New Mexico."

http://www.lcsun-news.com/news/ci_4927180

There would be numerous options for working in utilities as there are both private and publicly held systems.

FYI-Careful of what you read from our Cali friend, Sunland Park is in fact a city (w/a mayor and city council) in Dona Ana County New Mexico, just like Las Cruces. It's primarily spanish speaking with mostly first or second generation immigrants. I love them (as my family came from Mexico too), but it's not a very pretty place. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% of the advice this person provides is factually incorrect. That would make me doubt this persons opinions as they obviously just spout off without researching.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:37 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,519,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Personally I live in Las Cruces because I choose it. The weather in Farmington is just too cold....

FYI-Careful of what you read from our Cali friend, Sunland Park is in fact a city (w/a mayor and city council) in Dona Ana County New Mexico, just like Las Cruces. It's primarily spanish speaking with mostly first or second generation immigrants. I love them (as my family came from Mexico too), but it's not a very pretty place. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% of the advice this person provides is factually incorrect. That would make me doubt this persons opinions as they obviously just spout off without researching.
Well, as wonderful as Las Cruces is.....I ruled it out because it gets SO hot in the summertime. I had it under consideration for a long time, but after tracking temps, I changed my mind. It is a great place, though, and I do love visiting.

I am looking seriously at Farmington because of its proximity to Durango and Wolf Creek....it also appears to be more conservative....and it has all of the shopping/aquatics centers I could want. So.....everything will be available.

I've tracked temperatures, and Farmington does cool down considerably at night in the wintertime, but I would wish for cooler temps in the summertime. They can get into the 90s, but the nights cool down more than they do here in West Texas.

I like Sunland Park because it is like El Paso, which I love. I just hate the heat.

Enjoy LC...it is indeed a wonderful city.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:21 PM

3,012 posts, read 8,765,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I am looking seriously at Farmington because of its proximity to Durango and Wolf Creek....it also appears to be more conservative....
Cathy ~ I am going to remember that and when the liberalism at Santa Fe starts to get to me, I am coming to visit you in Farmington!

Old 01-01-2007, 12:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 18,519,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Cathy ~ I am going to remember that and when the liberalism at Santa Fe starts to get to me, I am coming to visit you in Farmington!
Why, Towanda, you just be sure and do that!!!! We'll have a blast!!

What is funny? I heard that the people in Santa Fe consider those in Farmington and Los Alamos a bunch of conservative stuffed shirts, LOL!!!

I really am not sure about the politics in Las Cruces...I would guess (without knowing) that it probably leans more liberal.

Maybe a resident will come along and shed some light on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or