Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Who said it's an accusation?

The cities in eastern New Mexico have a West Texas look and feel.

That's just my own personal opinion.

I am not certain why its such a big deal.
Having grown up in NM, and my personal feelings about Texas aside, most New Mexicans would not be flattered by such a comparison.

Last edited by domino; 05-09-2008 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 09:59 AM

946 posts, read 3,264,802 times
Smile Alamogordo

Why do we draw lines that divide us?

It's all New Mexico, and can't we agree that Alamogordo is the only one of the three that has jobs? That is all that we are asked about. The other two may be beautiful, but you can't eat the scenery (to paraphrase an old advertisement).

Last edited by Devin Bent; 05-09-2008 at 10:08 AM..

Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,538 times
I wasn't talking about scenery. I have lived in a few Texas towns, and lived in one southeastern NM town. Spent time in a lot of NM towns, and now live up north. It is my opinion, and take it for that, but living in a place like Alamogordo feels like a Texas town to me, and it does not feel the same way up north.

By the way, on the way into Alamogordo, is there still that sign that says "Jesus is Lord over Alamogordo?"

Old 05-09-2008, 03:02 PM

60 posts, read 188,583 times
Living in the Midland area now. Lived all over NM.

They are nothing alike. Different mindset, different culture.

The only time I ever heard anyone in NM bring up the "Texas" angle was to be insulting or whine..."people in Cloud act like 'rich Texans'" or "ugh, Portales and Clovis are like Texas" and so on and so forth.

I still say the OP won't get a house worth having if their range is 100-150K, unless they want some mobile home baking in the Alamo sun.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneysuckleHobo View Post
Living in the Midland area now. Lived all over NM.

They are nothing alike. Different mindset, different culture.

The only time I ever heard anyone in NM bring up the "Texas" angle was to be insulting or whine..."people in Cloud act like 'rich Texans'" or "ugh, Portales and Clovis are like Texas" and so on and so forth.

I still say the OP won't get a house worth having if their range is 100-150K, unless they want some mobile home baking in the Alamo sun.
Actually, you'd be surprised. I looked at everything from 100K-195K....and there are some neat older "Snow" (builder, apparently very well-known and liked during his time in the 1950's) homes, Santa Fe style, that have been remodeled...and the asking prices are ranging from $110-145 or so.

Most new construction is $165K plus, though. The Parade of Homes last week had quite a selection, spread out all over town (which I didn't finish)...of course, I drooled over the 650K+ homes in the new development going up in the north.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Having grown up in NM, and my personal feelings about Texas aside, most New Mexicans would not be flattered by such a comparison.
There seem to be a number of New Mexicans who hate Texans.

I just ignore it, and go about my business.....if you're courteous, you will usually get treated in a like manner. If not, I take my business and money elsewhere.

And no, as a native West Texan, I don't consider the comparison an insult. But if you do, that's OK. No big deal.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
I'd say Hobbs is "west Texas" like ...similiar economy (oil fields) and common geography ...like an extension of say Midland-Odessa area ....or perhaps Clovis could be considered an extension of Amarillo type geographic/economic area

....but I wouldn't lump in Alamogordo ...it has a more NM feel to it with the Sacramento Mtns nearby ...
OMG!!!! Midland and Hobbs might be close together, but they are as different as night and day.

I lived in Midland for 30 years. I would never live in Hobbs under any circumstances.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:23 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Who said it's an accusation?

The cities in eastern New Mexico have a West Texas look and feel.

That's just my own personal opinion.

I am not certain why its such a big deal.
Nothing wrong with that statement. I think all areas around NM have a feel of the state next to it. Yeap Eastern and South Central NM feel like West Texas. When i go to Grants and Gallup i feel like im in Indian Country in Arizona like Winslow and Holbrook. When i go to the Enchanted Circle i'm in Colorado and not NM and Farmington/Shiprock is Utah to me. Raton, Clayton and Springer are like Western Oklahoma. Las Cruces is Tucson east and La Mesilla is Old Mexico.

My image of what NM realliy is in only a few of cities and those are Las Vegas, Santa Fe, Belen, Socorro and ABQ. If those few cities/towns were the state we'd be next to North Dakota in population.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:24 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneysuckleHobo View Post
I think I've heard this nonsense about "some" NM towns being "Texas-like" for too many years now. I recall that "accusation" being stuck onto Cloud for awhile. Some people are always trying to exclude others in some manner. *yawn*

OP:

Alamo is your only likely bet with the money you have for housing, and it won't be a great house even there.

Just curious, as I'm considering Tennessee (tri-cities) for retirement and I lived in NM for a long long time. Why you moving?
HoneysuckleHobo,

I've lived in Eastern Ky and Eastern TN all my life. Property here is wildly expensive (we're in 3800 sq ft with 7 acres now for 279,000) and it's just not worth working six days a week to have. (hence the smaller housing budget. What good is having it ALL if you're too tired to enjoy it? ) Everything is priced with the developer in mind, at upwards of 10g an acre.

We've long felt a need to go somewhere, but my recent health problems (asthma that is extremely sensitive to humidity- I get two MAYBE three *good* days a week- you know where i'm only using the inhalers twice a day- and I hold an office job ) have pushed us towards a drier climate.

Colorado seems too restrictive, Arizona maybe TOO hot... New Mexico seemed a good fit. As we're wanting to stay as rural as we can without a horrendous commute, we're looking for moderately priced properties with a little land for us and the horses.

Why are you looking at the Tri-cities? It's a poorer part of the state (what industries are left are retail and a factory or two) and not a very scenic one at that. If you don't mind rural, Rogersville and Greene County are beautiful and have a small town feel with good property prices.
Of course the closer you get to Knoxville, the more expensive you get....

Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Property here is wildly expensive (we're in 3800 sq ft with 7 acres now for 279,000)
Isn't it amazing how relative everything is?

I would find 3800 sq ft with 7 acres for $279,000 an unbelievably LOW LOW LOW price in the Santa Fe area where we did our house-hunting.

Such property there would be way in excess of $1,000,000 I would guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico