Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2021, 04:30 PM

32 posts, read 38,326 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Amarillo, TX to escape the humidity (and hopefully some of the heat) and will be relying on New Mexico to get my mountain fix (specifically Red River). How crowded does Red River get? I know what a crowded mountain town looks like as I've driven through Western North Carolina multiple times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 02:11 PM

201 posts, read 291,347 times
Texans swamp Red River in summer, and it's especially packed right now with the travel boom. I try to avoid the Eagles Nest area because of the loud and obnoxious Texans in general.

Old 07-18-2021, 03:56 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,354 times
I went to Red River for a few days during the week this time last year to escape the city heat, my first time staying in Red River. My lodging had about 25% occupancy whereas I notice it is completely booked next week. Most of the restaurants where I wanted to eat were full at dinner with long lines to get in but that may have been because of the COVID requirements to reduce occupancy and keep tables 6 feet apart and because some restaurants were closed. Fortunately, a very popular pizza place had recently moved to a new location off the main strip so was able to call in a pizza and I ate in Taos another day. By Thursday afternoon the downtown area was feeling a little crowded and I was glad to be leaving the next day. I remember in my younger days driving through Red River on a major summer holiday weekend or during a festival and downtown was packed.

I did not stay in Red River every day but visited Taos and Taos Ski Valley, a state park, a cute little lake outside Questa, Vietnam memorial and an old ghost town near Angel Fire,etc. Many of the attractions in Red River seem geared towards family with children or driving ATVs which does not interest me but I loved the cooler weather and had a condo with a balcony overlooking the river. My other option would have been to stay in Taos Ski Valley or a rental in Arroyo Seco as the town of Taos is not that high in elevation or that cool in the summer. There are enough things to do throughout the area that I think you could find some breathing room if Red River is too crowded.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:05 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDweller View Post
Texans swamp Red River in summer, and it's especially packed right now with the travel boom. I try to avoid the Eagles Nest area because of the loud and obnoxious Texans in general.
The locals in the Red River, Eagle Nest, Angel Fire area call it Little Texas.

Old 07-21-2021, 02:05 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
I am not planning to travel back to NM until late fall. Santa Fe a few weeks ago was so crowded. Just not worth it right now. LIke people have lost their minds.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:23 PM

201 posts, read 291,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I am not planning to travel back to NM until late fall. Santa Fe a few weeks ago was so crowded. Just not worth it right now. LIke people have lost their minds.
Yeah, travelling is going to be a real pain, but I doubt it will slow in fall. You might be waiting a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico