Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 08:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,175 times

Advertisements

We have the same advertisments in AZ. I don't see too many people joining up. If it seems to good to be true you know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 08:46 PM

79 posts, read 175,022 times
Yes, I share your reservations, but before dismissing the idea I thought I would see if anyone had firsthand experience. Thanks for responding!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:54 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
From first-hand experience:

Yes, several people and I have tried it.

Working as promised? Almost always. Get three quotes from reputable-seeming installers.

Cost effective does depend on you. If you have money earning 0.5% in a savings account, this is a smarter way to go. The return on investment is far better for most people than where they have their money stashed today. You _will_ get your money back, and then some; the question is if you want to wait 7 years to get it back and then double it after 14, guaranteed, or go with something riskier (like a savings account paying a lower rate than inflation).

Old 12-27-2010, 12:45 PM

79 posts, read 175,022 times
Thank you. Are you still using the system?

Old 03-13-2011, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,764 times
Take #64 northwest past the Taos Gorge Bridge. About one mile after the gorge and before you get to the Earthships, take a left turn marked "Ojo Caliente and Pilar". Immediately after the turn, bear a hard right onto the dirt road. It is Sheep Herder's Road. (Ignore a homemade sign saying something else.) Stay on this road for several miles. It's washboard rough but quite passable. Eventually, you'll come to a grid of horrible roads with some of the funkiest residences you'll see anywhere. Some people live in holes in the ground, but most have fashioned homes comprised of old RVs or school buses with stovepipe chimneys and lean-tos made from wood skids and mud. Most structures of every variety and function are made from wooden skids. There are a few actual house trailers and real houses with walls and roofs. This is The Mesa.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,421 times
I wandered in that area without knowing where I was. It was scary!! Spent a week in the Taos area and we just loved driving the roads to see what is out there. I like the earthship community but when I saw the area your talking about I knew we need to get off the beaten tract and back to Taos as fast as possible. Before being scared, I stopped at a scack selling "junk". They looked liked scary and had lots of dogs.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:14 PM

206 posts, read 535,137 times
WHO the hell would want to go out there, i'm puzzled..

Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
WHO the hell would want to go out there, i'm puzzled..
Why not? I would. Looks like some interesting folks.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:59 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,119 times
Pass; if I wanted to see that kind of living, I'd go to the shanty towns of Juarez.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:58 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Pass; if I wanted to see that kind of living, I'd go to the shanty towns of Juarez.
Surely you jest. The shanty towns of Juarez are *crowded*... and those people are merely and actually very poor... while people on the Mesa are "odd" first and poor because... well, why not?

I've spent a fair amount of time hanging with homeless people in various places... sure, lots of addicts and psychologically challenged... but generally good people and generous, and few real philosophers who have chosen poverty and freedom instead of the rat race. The Mesa looks like a fine place to be "homeless" IMO.

And I wouldn't be a bit surprised if most of them are not interested in being a tourist attraction. I'd leave it alone unless you have a real interest in living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico