Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 08:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

Article:

Quote:
Foreclosed? Move to Rio Rancho by VEG-HEAD on DECEMBER 1, 2009.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM

25 posts, read 81,444 times
Default New mexico off grid any places permissible?

I know there is plenty of cheap land available. Suppose I wanted to place an off grid shipping container home, or maybe even a wood cabin, are there any places where it is legal for a man to live in his own small cabin, all year, if he owns the land?

I am compiling a list please tell me if you know any areas where it is legal, and I can get the proper paper work done to have a small cabin to live in, off grid.

Thank you.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Occupying a building is legal pretty much throughout the state, though different localities (hundreds of them in this state alone) have different permitting requirements. Kinda a strange idea of it not being legal. NM fits 50% more people in 1000% more space.

Shipping containers, on the other hand, are actually a bit spendy in New Mexico. Unlike Hawaii and coastal areas of the US, they don't get used that much here. Expect $4k+ per 40ft container delivered. The good news is that they'll last 25+ years longer than elsewhere, as corrosion is very very slow to take place here.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 PM

25 posts, read 81,444 times
Thank you Zoldberg. I may dispense with the container, and I wonder how wood holds up out there. They have these nifty vcabins that are delivered to site, but then again. I have no idea what parts of NM may allow for that. I was wondering if maybe anyone had experiences like this. I was inspired by this guy:

How to have a home with no house payments and no utility bills! - YouTube

See, I can afford a small piece of land, and a tiny cabin as this, but that is it.

Otherwise, I will be homeless in a few weeks. I have 10k saved up for the land, and another 10k for the cabin, which, I may make myself. But again, where to do it?

Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiiseeker View Post
I know there is plenty of cheap land available. Suppose I wanted to place an off grid shipping container home, or maybe even a wood cabin, are there any places where it is legal for a man to live in his own small cabin, all year, if he owns the land?

I am compiling a list please tell me if you know any areas where it is legal, and I can get the proper paper work done to have a small cabin to live in, off grid.

Thank you.
Yes you can pretty much build anywhere as Zoidberg pointed out. Never heard of it being illegal anywhere. As long as it meets building and zoning codes. My wife's best friend is building a 2000 sq ft house that is off grid up near Las Vegas. Mainly because it would be really expensive to have electrical lines run to the property.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:27 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Quote:
Otherwise, I will be homeless in a few weeks. I have 10k saved up for the land, and another 10k for the cabin, which, I may make myself. But again, where to do it?
Unless you're planning on subsistence farming and living out of a tent while you construct your dream shack (more power to you if you are but the growing season is short, winters brutal living in a tent and $20k is not enough), you're going to need a source of income for food and a place to rent. The good news is you can devote $5k of that to that purpose while you figure things out, leaving the balance of the funds to visit different choices and eventually acquire the land (two words: water rights). Can probably find a sleepworthy SUV instead of a tent for <$5k.

As has been said before in other threads, NM is pretty low on the list of places where it's easy to live off-grid.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Thank you Zoldberg. I may dispense with the container, and I wonder how wood holds up out there. They have these nifty vcabins that are delivered to site, but then again. I have no idea what parts of NM may allow for that. I was wondering if maybe anyone had experiences like this.
Wood holds up, but requires regular treatment. Our gate and vigas (outdoor) here in Placitas have to be stained at least every other year. I use a solid stain, liberally applied, and there have been a few years when they should have been done every year.

Our place in the mountains has cedar siding, and needs to be power cleaned and oiled every 4-5 years, depending on the severity of the winter.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Suppose I wanted to place an off grid

where it is legal, and I can get the proper paper work done to have a small cabin to live in, off grid.

Thank you.
Living off the grid is discussed in this thread, it might be of use: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...-off-grid.html

Rich

Old 01-05-2012, 09:40 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Are you asking if you can have an outhouse and no well or water? Because of course you can have a house and land, but there are state-wide rules on septics and water and such. And yes, in the more remote and rural places people regularly ignore them. At any rate, a well and septic would blow your budget even before you built a cabin... maybe even before you bought land. Lots of people have spent more than $20k on a well and water treatment.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,201 times
Thumbs up Green Eyes 795

I would think that anywhere between Moriarty and Estancia would work out for you to live in the primitive way you describe. But read the local papers such as the East Mountain Telegraph or the Independent or the quik Quarter or Pennysaver papers you might find lots of areas you might be able to afford there. Another place im thinking of is South of Belen N.M. or out Between Bernardo and Mountainair. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico