Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:51 AM
ktv

1 posts, read 5,234 times

Advertisements

Hi I work for a TV company and we are developing an idea for Discovery about people that want to go off grid and live a more simple life. Would you be willing to share more details of your progress with me? If so please get in touch on [EMAIL="kate.vines@renegadepictures.co.uk"]kate.vines@renegadepictures.co.uk[/EMAIL]

I am currently looking for case studies for an internal document to prove to the commissioner that there are people out there with amazing stories to tell!

If you might be interested please drop me an email with your contact details on and I will get back to you. If not all the best with your project!

Many thanks!

Kate Vines
Development Producer
Renegade Pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 12:11 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktv View Post
Hi I work for a TV company and we are developing an idea for Discovery about people that want to go off grid and live a more simple life.
I lived in a Toyota pickup for 11 years... I guess you could call that "off-grid". Nice to be able to camp in beautiful wilderness without a soul around... and wander whenever I pleased. No mortgage, no rent, no taxes, no phone, no mail. Nothing to do and all the time in the world to do it. Pretty simple. I miss it.

I did it because I loved it, and I had some money saved up. I spent less than $5k per year so it wasn't a lot of money, but still... I didn't have enough to keep it up. I'd live in a shack in the boonies somewhere now, but my wife isn't into it...

Old 10-21-2008, 04:02 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktv View Post
Hi I work for a TV company and we are developing an idea for Discovery about people that want to go off grid and live a more simple life. Would you be willing to share more details of your progress with me? If so please get in touch on kate.vines@renegadepictures.co.uk

I am currently looking for case studies for an internal document to prove to the commissioner that there are people out there with amazing stories to tell!

If you might be interested please drop me an email with your contact details on and I will get back to you. If not all the best with your project!

Many thanks!

Kate Vines
Development Producer
Renegade Pictures
Do you want to make a film like "Off the Grid?" Oh, and for all of you folks that think Taos is "hoity toity", would you say these follks in this film living on the Mesa are "hoity toity?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgTGPJtvmS8

Old 10-21-2008, 11:38 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Mass extinctions are occuring now at a pace unprecedented since the KT die-offs. Human induced to a very large extent. Estimates vary but most naturalists expect at least one third of all large mammal species, for instance, will reach extinction before the third quarter of this century. This is most probably a very conservative estimate. Human induced environmental degradation and deliberate kill-offs are directly responsible for this escalating global calamity. We ignore this grim inter-species plight at our collective peril. We are reckless and ignoble at best.
Not all of us are ignoring it. Some of us have passively joined the VHEMT movement and consciously create as little waste as possible.

Unfortunately, "we" are vastly outnumbered and are drowning in the overpopulation of humanity.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:52 PM

592 posts, read 2,243,970 times
Loved that film, and would love to check it out someday. Anybody here actually live out there or know someone who does?

Old 01-03-2009, 08:22 PM

77 posts, read 406,106 times
Default Have you seen the documenatry on "The Mesa"?

I hope it is OK to post this in the Albuquerque thread as it pertains to a documentary movie BUT was show in NM.

I wanted to get get anyone's take on an are known as "the Mesa" I have ordered the documentary about it after stumbling upon it while looking for off the grid items like solar panels. It is supposed to be 1/4 acre lots with an old west meets mad max hodge podge of people and buildings.

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:43 PM

908 posts, read 2,853,645 times
My wife and I got it on NetFlix a while back, after having it kick up on a search for alternative power. It shows a place somewhere near Taos and gives a picture of some of the people who live out there, along with some of the politics that they deal with. Interesting because they all proclaim to be loners and anti-government, but they band together in response to an outside force (renegade teenagers who are more aggressive and organized. They have a little compound and have taken to stealing from the others to survive.).

You can pick up some answers to off the grid living by paying attention to some of the interviews, but it's really not the point of the film. Also, you mentioned solar cells. Be aware that the people on 'The Mesa' have their own connotation for 'off the grid'. They're not speaking to separation from PNM power. They're talking about separation from things we accept as prerequisites for being a part of this society.

If you're looking for solid answers on off the grid power generation, skip it.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,633 times
"Old West meets Mad Max." That could be very interesting, but also very scary. Sounds neat though - I'll have to put it on Netflix.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:15 AM

77 posts, read 406,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post

If you're looking for solid answers on off the grid power generation, skip it.
I watched the trailer on uTube and I am having it sent via NetFlix for the documentary value but NOT the solar! It appears to be riveting.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:16 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
"Old West meets Mad Max."

This should be the motto on the New Mexico licence plate. Land of Enchantment is too vague. ;-)

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico