U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:41 AM

33,804 posts, read 29,249,845 times

Advertisements

Heard on the Weather channel that New Mexico was having some stormy weather. You folks OK out there? GregW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 06:59 AM

3,059 posts, read 6,337,273 times
I thought I left behind the tornadoes when I left Kansas!

WRONG!!!

It was an interesting weather day here yesterday.

I have a big window to the west, and I was able to watch the storms move across the Jemez Mountains yesterday. One thing interesting is that you can see a long ways out here, and watching the storms is pretty cool ... as long as it is not headed your way.

I did hear that there was a tornado warning for Pojoaque -- Devin Bent, what did you get up your way?

Last edited by Towanda; 05-29-2008 at 08:57 AM..

Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 AM

950 posts, read 2,155,011 times
Default High winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I thought I left behind the tornadoes when I left Kansas!

WRONG!!!

It was an interesting weather day here yesterday.

I have a big window to the west, and I was able to watch the storms move across the Jemez Mountains yesterday. One thing interesting is that you can see a long ways out here, and watching the storms is pretty interesting ... as long as it is not headed your way.

I did hear that there was a tornado warning for Pojoaque -- Devin Bent, what did you get up your way?
We had high winds late last night, but I have not yet seen anything of tornadoes. I understand Los Alamos got hail.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 AM

8,996 posts, read 12,311,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Heard on the Weather channel that New Mexico was having some stormy weather. You folks OK out there? GregW
We got rain in Alamo....winds, pea-sized hail, along with a little marble-sized. This is the first shower we've had this year...and I hated to see it stop so soon.

We were also under a tornado watch until 9pm.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,556,918 times
Towanda, pining for the Yellow Brick Road said:

> I thought I left behind the tornadoes when I left Kansas!

Statistically, you did. Tornadoes can happen anywhere, just like earthquakes, but something like 99% of those that happen in the world happen in "Tornado Alley."

I don't know what the percent of non-Tornado-Alley tornados are that are in the US, however. That is, of the 10% or so of tornados that occur outside of
Tornado Alley, I don't know what percent happen in places like Florida and California.

In Tornado Alley, the reason most form is due to the clash of air masses from the Pacific and the Gulf of Mexico. It's a unique confluence in the world.

However, people move here from CA and say that it's great to be away from earthquakes. They won't see as many here in NM as the place they came from, but the mountains of NM didn't just appear. They were "made."

Albuquerque will have an earthquake as big as the one that recently hit China, but when? 10,000 years from now or next year? If you ask that question of San Francisco, then you are asking about when in your lifetime.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
the mountains of NM didn't just appear. They were "made."
Okay, so this is thread drift and I apologize, but that statement jumped out at me, mortimer.

One of the things that fascinates me about the terrain of New Mexico is all the magnificent land formations -- mountains, mesas, amazing landscapes -- and wondering at the powerful forces of nature that formed them in the far distant past. WOW

Old 05-29-2008, 09:38 AM

6,999 posts, read 10,904,030 times
I dont wanna jinx it but Clayton seems to be in the "sweet" spot right now, year were on the edge of Tornado Alley but have avoided them for years. We got wind last nite and that was it!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:26 AM

286 posts, read 838,589 times
We had beautiful sunshine all day until about 4:00 pm, then the rains came. Had some nice lightning late last night. This morning, the fog was so thick, I couldn't even see the mountains, but the sun is trying to burn through. At least the weather isn't BORING!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensgirl View Post
At least the weather isn't BORING!
I am quickly finding out that the weather here is NEVER boring!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:54 AM

4,580 posts, read 9,656,381 times
when I lived in Portales we would have powerful thunderstorms and tornado watches were common,although they mostly just touch down in the country, I remember the tornado sirens would sound every Wednesday as a test or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico