Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:42 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Thanks. It was never something I saw myself doing- before I started here, I saw drugs and users as pretty much black and white. Now there are so many shades of gray.....
I refer to them as my *kids* (despite the fact some are my age and older) and tell them right up front that i'm not the cops, i'm not DCS- i'm their cheerleader and there for them. to help them get through what they need to do to get their kids back.
Of course I get a few hard cases who wanna play Johnny Badass... but they all usually come around :-)
It is a hard job and a wonderful thing that you do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:56 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,169 times
Thanks, Devin. These are MY kids, lol.

I had one today call- her ex (a HEAVY user) broke into her house and beat the crap out of her. I had to stifle the urge to hunt him down and SSS.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:10 AM

203 posts, read 714,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Thanks, Devin. These are MY kids, lol.

I had one today call- her ex (a HEAVY user) broke into her house and beat the crap out of her. I had to stifle the urge to hunt him down and SSS.
My hat is off to you both for the work you do and the restraint you must show in such difficult circumstances

Old 06-09-2008, 02:39 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,169 times
Thanks, JSC. I thought I was lacking in the restraint department for years, as a matter of fact, many moons ago I was schooling for a degree in child psychology and my husband sat me down one day and said "Listen. Either i'm going to be bringing you a cake with a file in it or checking you out for weekend visits at home. You may want to rethink this."
Wise man.
So I transferred my Underdog-mentality to rehabbing and adopting out beaten, starved horses. Nothing like 1000 lbs of scared to death I-Don't-WANT-To! on the end of a lead rope! lol
Now that my health shut down the rescue part (although we both sit the board of the largest horse rescue in the state) i'm back to *rescuing* people- but only those that want rescuing :-)

Old 06-09-2008, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 5,064 times
hi!
i'm from boston, ma-born and raised-and i'm thinking about moving to the "enchanted city" or someplace enchanting...someone suggested new mexico to me...i am a single, 34 y/o mom with a 1.5 y/o daughter...is this someplace u would recommend?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:49 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Depends on what you want. You need to do a lot of research.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:54 PM

175 posts, read 439,250 times
Tamsan, I agree completey with catman. You do need to do the research.

For the people talking about the drugs. If people could do the drugs on their own and not show any problems at work, then that would be fine.

However, when you get people that don't show up for work and are constantly unmotivated to do simple jobs, then that's when we get the problem.

It's not fun trying to work with or people that are heavy drug abusers. Oftenly they have that lame victim mentality and there and so negative and paranoid. They basically work to just get the drugs. They don't really care about the job or the customers, they just want to get the paycheck and go buy there stuff.

It's also not fun to go down to the only gas station in town and see the assistant manager tripping out from the apparent last evening fun when your trying to buy a coke.

I think that's why they drug test! I'm not a cop or I'm not here to judge people.

These are just the facts.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,005 times
We're considering buying a business in Red River and are concerned about all of the things mentioned above. We have two kids so anytime I come across a family or older teenager there I ask them how they like living there. It's almost always a resounding "love it." Many have only been there for ~5 years, so there may be a ramping up period...and then a getting bored period.

I've never lived in a really small town, but I heard that drug use is bad. I grew up in a 100K pop. city in west Texas and drug use started around 7th or 8th grade there. I hear it's just as bad in the northern Dallas suburb we live in now. I'm starting to think there is no escape so we just have to arm our kids with good information, hope that they make good decisions and hope they are not addictive personalities.

I do worry about losing the big city conveniences, but I also know that we could stand to pare down and live more simply than we do. Stuff is just stuff and it never makes us any happier. Good people and an inspiring atmosphere is what makes life good.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I grew up with a drug (alcohol) addicted step father with a sorry for self attitude. Not very much fun. I abused alcohil for a while but never became addicted. I am now completely dry because of virus related liver problems. I feel a lot better.

I do not know how to "rescue" people. I just let them be but do not cut them any more slack than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico