U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2007, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,636 times

Advertisements

I read the Farmington posts with great interest since I have a job interview there next week. I have been working hard to gather information about the demographics, weather, cost of living, entertainment and food. What I have not found is a frank discussion about the people. I live in Louisiana and I love the food, the weather, and my job. What I have grown tired of is the ignorance of the people. There is little desire to improve oneself through education and very poor social manners. Because I work with the general public, I am exposed to all walks of life and frankly I don't like what I see. It used to be the assumption that people in the South were friendly and had good manners. I don't see much of that in the customers that I have to serve.

Can anyone give me some idea of the culture of the people in Farmington? I read a post somewhere that said Farmington is historically an oil and gas town and that it attracts mostly roughnecks. Well, if that's true, then I should just stay on Louisiana which is an oil and gas state.

Lastly, is anyone willing to address the topic of racism? I've lived with African Americans my entire life; I do not consider myself a racist. I have no experience with Hispanics or Native Americans. The bottom line is that I do not want to move to any city in the US that doesn't have a culture of acceptance and tolerance. Can anyone elaborate on this issue in regards to Farmington?

Thank you for reading this post. Any quick replies would be appreciated as I must prepare for my trip next week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 09:30 PM

66 posts, read 450,772 times
The only thing in farmberry is high school sports a museum that takes 10 minutes to tour. Wind from the West almost constant dirt dirt did I mention dirt, a few rocks and some sagebrush and junipers 3-6ft high. you will be 7 hours from phoenix and denver 3 hours from albuquerque. Coming from LA you would be used TONS of GREEN forget about that here only in the river bottoms.

I can not recommend this town or area to any one we moved 05 nov. and plan on moving soon hopefully in feb.

we've seen all the RUINS whippee most when you ask them have you been there, There reply where? It is 5 hours to the Grand Canyon, been there done that, very nice.

Being from the south your used to heat which is plentiful here. Actually rather cold in the winter for the SW. The mountains in SW CO are awesome. only 1 hour away.

homes can get from non-mobile homes 150k-600k. 250k is a pretty good home.

Yes the area is Oil & Gas DRIVEN my wife works for BLM gov. Environmental Compliance.

If you like bars there is one if you like clubs there is none, if you like coffee houses 3 starpukes and one good one bookstore kafe'

You said you don't like what you see well it ain't no different here. One of tha MAIN reasons we want out! Most seem so content with mediocre life its disgusting.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,636 times
Default Farmington remarks

Wildfan, thanks for your honest reply. I hope that you and your wife find a better place soon.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:21 PM

11 posts, read 39,256 times
Default People and culture in Farmington

I am a Farmington native (anglo) have lived here 38 yrs. I absolutely hate it here but haven't had the guts to move out. Mostly because we're afraid of moving to someplace worse. Anyway, about Farmington. The last few years the housing is ridiculously high. Contrary to some websites, the average home cost is about $250,000. Lots of doublewides outside of town. Land is outragous, anywhere from $50,000 an acre (if you can even find any) to 299,000. This is driving alot of us locals out. As far as racism goes: in the past 9 months or so there have been some incidents with native americans where they were beating up on each other and the police got involved. In one of the incidents the officer ending up shooting the native american who was charging the officer and wouldn't back off. The native americans threatened to boycott the town, but this hasn't happened. They need to come to Farmington because they live on the reservation where they don't have a walmart. And Farmington needs there $. The population of Farmington is about 50,000 but on the weekends it probably triples because of people coming from the res, Durango, and all surrounding areas, and traffic is a nightmare. Farmington is an oil and gas town, mostly roughnecks. Not alot of educated people. Alot of nice houses, not sure who lives in them, my guess is the upper oil and gas people. We have a decent community college, San Juan College. It offers alot and has low tuition costs. There is alot to do outdoors, mostly fishing the San Juan. Durango is a 45 min. trip north w/ mountains and beauty. Farmington has about everything a person needs, Home Depot, Lowes, several grocery stores, Sam's Club, a mall w/ JCPenney, Sears, Dillards, and a brand new 10 cinema, but as far as opportunities for kids once they graduate, there isn't many. This is another reason we hope to get away. Farmington is a sort of a trap. Anyway, I hope this helps. Oh, I almost forgot, the weather is great. Windy in the spring though. No hurricans, tornadoes, earthquakes. But there are large power plants on the edge of town that create this grey cloud over the whole area. The people working there say this isn't causing air pollution, but according to some websites our quality is a 1 (on a scale from 1 to 100) hope this was helpful.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:20 AM

476 posts, read 2,088,603 times
I rmoved to Farmington from Albuquerque and I like Farmington better than Albuquerque where gangs rule the streets and crime is very rampant. Farmington does have crime, not like Albuquerque, but it is there. The good would be not being far from Durango and southwest Colorado. I go there often. There is a good number of stores so amenities are good. The bad is the sand can kick up real good and isnt pleasant to be in. I dont go downtown much since alot of Native Americans hang around there and I dont get a good feeling around some but others are my friends and have no problems but there are some of them who are drunks or beg for money or try to sell you their jewlery while you eat. I dont see bad racism between Whites, Hispanics and Natives, most kinda keep to their part of the city. I am Hispanic and havent felt any negatives from Whites or Natives. Much more race problems in Albuquerque. So to give the final result is, it has its good and bad points. If you can afford the prime neighborhoods, I am sure life is grand, to common folks, just living in a city that is affordable enough to live in, (not house prices though, they are ridiculous) it is Ok, but most dream of living elsewhere. If I moved again but had to live near Farmington, Id pick Aztec, greener and smaller. If I could afford it, Id go for Durango. You just have to visit Farmington and see if it is for you. Some like it, I know a few who love it but I know others who hate it with passion too. HTH.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:34 AM

175 posts, read 1,056,345 times
I lived in Farmington for 2 years cand couldnt wait to leave, I moved to Albuquerque and it was the best choice I ever made,the people are so much more normal here than in Farmington.In Farmington there is alot of oil and that type of stuff,alot of druggies and rednecks.It is the most racist town Ive ever seen.Racism in Farmington dates back decades ago.Lots of homeless and drunks,it also has one of the highest DWI rates in the state,also lots of rude people and wannabe gangsters.I think your better off staying where your at or looking for a new city.Oh yeah cost of living is way too high for such a crappy city.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:14 AM

182 posts, read 618,683 times
Drunks, drugs and gangsters...sounds like you're talking about Espanola which is another place you don't want to move to!

-- John D.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,808 times
I was born and grew up here, and it's a lot like everywhere else - there's good and bad, and you usually find what you're looking for. When I was in LA once, I asked a clerk what LA was like and he said "the Blacks hate the Whites and the Cajuns, the Whites hate the Cajuns and Blacks, and the Cajuns hate everybody", lol.

Not that bad here, and it's improved dramatically since the Seventies - hard to even say there are roughnecks anymore, it was pretty crazy back in the wildcat days, but it's pretty corporatized now, they all have cell phones and wear Izod shirts.

There's racism if you look for it, but most everybody gets along that I see - the Dineh (Navajos) are pretty friendly when you get to know them, and they have a great sense of humor, and neither am I aware of any great tension between Hispanics and Native Americans, other than than the usual nonsense between the young bucks, which I heard mentioned in another thread.

The Spanish here are mostly Spanish, i.e., pure Castillian is still spoken here, so don't call them Mexicans or they will get pissed. There are barely any African Americans here, and they're the usual mix. Basically, if you work and don't start anything, you should get along with everybody - but if it's not exactly the cultural capital of the universe, it's going to be seldom you get people spreading hate and discontent simply over race.

There is crime, but nothing like Albuquerque - mostly petty burglaries, tools and stuff that can be easily hocked. The "gang problem", if you can call it that, is a pale shadow of what you'll find in Albuquerque, or any other urban area for that matter, they're around if you look for them, but otherwise it's just the random psychopath/s popping up every ten years or so, usually killing Indians.

Real Estate prices are high, and Kirtland might be a good alternative, it's only 7 miles away, barely a commute at all by urban standards, I lived there for a few years and it was pretty quiet.

It is hard to describe culturewise, Pretty schizo really, a little bit of everything. It was settled by Mormons, and they still own most of the town, and it is, or used to be, the only conservative county in NM. Lots of Limbaugh fans, but there are outspoken liberals, and even the local paper, the Daily Times, long a bastion of conservatism, social or otherwise, has been purchased by a liberal and had changed it's tone. The time warp effect has worn off a bit, took Jaws almost five years to get here, only three for Star Wars but there doesn't seem to be any great lag now.

It did make Time magazine's, I think it was, list of the ten least charming cities in America, but I don't know if that was talking about the culture, or the fact that there isn't enough overgrowth to hide the junk like there is everywhere else - if you've never been to the Southwest, you're in for a shock. The people are not overly demonstrative with affection, but I've seen worse.

It's become somewhat of a marketing hub, since it's surrounded by reservation and rural areas, and traffic is bad, but the town is small, nothing like trying to get across Albuquerque or Pheonix.

It's hard to say, without knowing you - there is some night life here, mostly country, a few decent bars, there's a microbrewery downtown - a few decent resturaunts, a pretty spectacular new library - but it's essentially a small town on steroids.

The big draws to the area are the outdoor activities, lot of opportunites for hiking, camping, fishing, mountain biking, etc., and there is skiing about 75 miles away. The weather, as mentioned, is excellent, the worst season is spring if the wind blows - good time to go on vacation since that's when everywhere else is tolerable, before the heat, humidity and bugs come out - I think I might have seen one mosquito this year, or maybe it was last.

It is at a mile altitude, and a bit cold right now, but not what I'd call bitter, a medium weight jacket suffices most days.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like the Chamber of Commerce, but I don't think it's as bad as some people have described - although bitching about having to live here is a very common pastime in certain circles - the immigrants probobly outnumber the natives these days.

Anyway, good luck on your job interview, me, I miss the ocean and fresh flounder - damn, I oughta have you bring me a couple of buckets of crayfish...

Last edited by whatzabuzz; 01-10-2007 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico