Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:16 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times

Advertisements

While cleaning out an old desk of my now-deceased father-in-law, I came across this old picture. I believe it was either taken at Los Alamos or White Sands and appears to show some sort of large equipment (test facility or some sort?) in front of a hangar wall with a few bombs to the side. My father-in-law was a structural mover in his younger days in New Mexico and in west Texas and I recall him telling me he moved some of the old barracks at Los Alamos after WWII. He also told me he had the opportunity to meet some of the scientists back then. However, he may have also moved some buildings at White Sands as I know he had property at Alamogordo after the War.

There seems little chance that this odd structure still exists, and even less that anyone here will recognize it, but how about it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 PM

143 posts, read 466,175 times
Interesting photo. Here are the links to two heretage societies. Maybe they can be of help.

Los Alamos Historical Society:
Los Alamos Historical Society

Atomic Heritage Foundation:
The Atomic Heritage Foundation - Home

Old 06-04-2008, 07:39 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,056 times
Just an opinion,

one thing seem very out of place for Los Alamos --

conventional bombs??? They had conventional explosives there for the development of the a-bomb, but I don't think they ever had conventional bombs. By 1950, it was civilian controlled I believe. I don't think they ever had bombers up there.

Anybody correct me, please, if I am wrong.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
Just an opinion,

one thing seem very out of place for Los Alamos --
Thanks for the Los Alamos historical information. I'll try to pass this across their desk and see if they know anything. It's not really important. It was just a pic found along with one of a rock crusher machine in NM which I believe was one my father-in-law worked on briefly after he got out of the service.

The pic could have been taken in the mid- to late 1940s. I'm just not sure but your logic sounds right about the conventional bombs. Unless it is some sort of tourist display, it almost looks like an Air Force base or something like that. The only base I believe this could be is Cannon AFB near Clovis but I spent four years in and out of the hangars on that base and I don't recall anything that even looked close to the building in the picture.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:23 PM

261 posts, read 935,960 times
Get in touch with the folks at the National Atomic Museum in Albuquerque. It looks like it could possibly be part of a display.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Could it have been taken at the old military airport at Roswell? I have no idea what the big thing is but the other things are most likely bombs. They are too small to be droppable fuel tanks.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:09 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,949,702 times
Does not look like White Sands at all. My mom worked out there for 30 years, I grew up playing and exploring the base as a kid.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:34 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,153 times
Bombs aside, I think the big mysterious gadget in the pic is a rare, maybe unique, photo of the "WABAC (Way-Back) Machine" developed in a secret program just after the war. It never lived up to expectations, so the inventor, a Mr. Peabody, left government service and had a fairly successful career in the newly developed cathode-tube display and communication business.
More info: Wayback machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Could it have been taken at the old military airport at Roswell? I have no idea what the big thing is but the other things are most likely bombs. They are too small to be droppable fuel tanks.
Hmmm. Now this could be. I seem to recall that my father-in-law may have had done some some work at the old Roswell AB. Interesting.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Bombs aside, I think the big mysterious gadget in the pic is a rare, maybe unique, photo of the "WABAC (Way-Back) Machine" developed in a secret program just after the war. It never lived up to expectations, so the inventor, a Mr. Peabody, left government service and had a fairly successful career in the newly developed cathode-tube display and communication business.
More info: Wayback machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yep, funniest answer so far. No Bull******!!*

*stands for Bullwinkle.

~clairz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico