U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 03:55 PM

94 posts, read 457,856 times

Advertisements

Wonder why? He seemed like an okay guy.

I can tell you what I know about them "hiding."

They like dark, warm places, and your bedclothes after you leave them are just such a place. They also like cracks of couches and places like that. I got my bite while sleeping on the couch one night. I think they wander when they're flushed out of hiding, or maybe in search of food. I don't know what they eat, but I don't think they have webs.

I didn't know what it was. It looked like a little white pimple on my leg, and it itched fiercely, so I popped it. The next day, it was a small sore. I thought nothing of it, just a popped zit. The day after that, it was larger, say, the width of my thumb. So I washed it to keep it from getting infected, put some neosporin on it, and bandaid-ed it. The next day, it was the size of a quarter and very, very deep. This alarmed me, so I went to the doctor. He asked where I lived, and when I told him the name of my apartment complex, he asked if we ever saw any spiders. I told him, yeah, little brown ones, that they come out of the drain in the bathroom.

He told me that it was a recluse bite, and that they can't come out of bathroom drains. I still don't believe that, because I've seen more than one come out of the drain. But anyway, he said that it's painful but basically harmless, gave me a run of antibiotics to ward off infection, and told me to call an exterminator.

One year later, I got another bite on my hand when I reached into a drawer for something. This time, I saw the little bugger and murdered him. Took him to the doctor. He was, indeed, a recluse. The doctor popped the little whitehead thing on my hand and scrubbed it out (ouch!), and the necrosis (skin loss) was very minimal. The scar is 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch.

Anyway, this was all in Oklahoma, and I don't think we brought any of the bastards with us to NM, so I hope you're in luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 04:05 PM

27 posts, read 83,573 times
i saw a pseudo-scorpion late one night skittering across my den carpet. it was a bizarre creature. obvious that it wasnt a plain spider nor was it a scorpion.

i do think ill pass on the mud dauber wasps tho.

isnt our state insect like the tarantula wasp or something crazy like that?!?!
ive seen a few of those and all i can say is DUCK!!!

Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 8,784 times
Maybe its because we have lived here so long, but I dont pay much attention to the "critters" that seems to have some so concerned. There are many types of creepy crawlies that are native to our area, yet neither myself, my husband or either of our kids have ever been bitten by anything other than an occassional misquito.

If insects are an issue, having chickens will greatly reduce the insect population around your home.

Rattlesnakes are VERY rarely found in town. If your home is outside of town, you MAY happen upon an occassional rattler. Best advice there is watch where you are walking, never kill or chase off a bull snake (they keep rattlers out of the area). For those of you with dogs, there is a new vaccine available that protects against rattle snake bites. It doesnt prevent all symptoms, but does lessen them and keeps your pet from becomeing gravely ill or uncomfortable.

We have never had roaches in the 14 years we have lived here. I would say spiders are the most abundant creepy crawley to inhabit out home. We get the occassional black widow, but with just a bit common sense, bites are easily avoided. (never stick your hand into a place you cannot see)

We moved here from Washington DC, so it took some getting used to. but now, I dont think I would ever want to live anywhere else. It is a different life style than big city livin. Certainly isnt paradise, but, it has been home to our family.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:08 PM

5 posts, read 30,983 times
Talking Stinging Roach

Hi, I live in Manhattan and tonight I saw a huge roach running across my kitchen, more than two inches long, it was making for my cat so I killed it with my shoe, I am sorry about that, I am loathe to kill anything but I panicked. Anyway, when I put kitchen paper over it and picked it up to put in the rubbish bin I felt a sting or bite, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. I am so freaked out. I opened my puter at once to see if I could get info on roaches that sting and this site came up. Looks interesting so I joined. I belong to forums but British ones so I should be on an Americn one, I have lived here many, many years.

Anyway, anyone know anything about this horrible subject. What a way to join a forum

Old 02-03-2007, 12:09 AM

788 posts, read 1,251,787 times
Default Bugs! Yuk!

Some folks keep these critters as pets, but I'm with you, VJ. Death from above.
I'm thinking that, when you picked the critter up, a leg may have poked your finger. These insects have many defenses, but biting is not one of them.
Hope that it was just "an occasional invader", and that you don't lose any sleep over this.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:43 PM

9,043 posts, read 12,362,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
In alamogordo.......well not as bad as arizona but you have your desert dwellers there (rattlers,scorpions,fireants etc..) just use common sense and keep your eyes open and you'll be o.k.If you have water heaters in closets dont stick your hands under or behind as black windows love to live there and don't keep piles of lumber/wood as snakes and scorpions can use as shelter but don't think i've ever read in the paper there about anyone seriously being bitten or stung for years but i could be wrong...
Alamogordo has fireants?

I'm leaving!!!

Seriously, though, they are a serious problem in Texas...and figured that Alamogordo would be a little too dry for them.

I just hate the vicious little things. I've never had an ant bite hurt that badly!!!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:10 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,964,933 times
Cathy,
yes there are fire ants, but there are ways to get them to leave or die.
I just don't like the scorpions. Its not fun when you step on one in the middle of the night. I sure woke up DH out of a sound sleep.LOL

I have two praying mantis that get up on the screen at night to get bugs. Infact one got in the house the other night. So I took him outside with a good lecture that he was an outside pet.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:18 PM

9,043 posts, read 12,362,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Cathy,
yes there are fire ants, but there are ways to get them to leave or die.
I just don't like the scorpions. Its not fun when you step on one in the middle of the night. I sure woke up DH out of a sound sleep.LOL

I have two praying mantis that get up on the screen at night to get bugs. Infact one got in the house the other night. So I took him outside with a good lecture that he was an outside pet.
I know what you mean about scorpions....but I've not been bitten by one. I've heard that it feels like stepping on a lit cigarette!!

In WT, the only way I kept the fireants at bay was to broadcast it over the lawns 2x a year...usually Amdro. If I have to do that here, so be it. I was just hoping they were not out here.

There was a big wolf spider in the laundry room, but I leave those alone, as they are harmless and beneficial.

I love praying mantises (mantids..??), so I'd leave them alone. They do bite, but they are very beneficial predators!

But if I find a solfugid, it is dead if I can manage to kill it.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:03 PM

265 posts, read 559,568 times
Just wondered how scorpions get in the house?? Not sure how I would deal with that and my dog Maggie Mae would be wondering what I have gotten her into by moving to Alamogordo.

Jim

Old 09-08-2007, 09:24 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,964,933 times
Jim,
If you saw the crack under my screen door, any bug would get in. The scorpions are not as bad as AZ scorpions. Heck, before I had the screen door, I had it open - I like fresh air - a road runner came in looking for more steak I had given him outside. Had friends over and we all had a good laugh.
Jane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico