Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 13,167 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info everyone. It's sounds promising. I think I can most definitely deal with the temperature in NM.

I guess my next step is making my first visit. I only have a week (including travel time), which most likely occur within the next couple of months. I'm looking to hit a couple spots probably in Northern NM to try and get a feel for the area. I've been looking through the forum, youtube, and the internet trying to figure out where to start, but there are so many places that sound interesting..makes it tough to decide.

Since I'm scouting out places for possible relocation, I guess I would like to see some small towns near national parks or game lands. I like some greenery and mountains nearby as well, but other interesting landscapes are welcome. And snow does not bother me as long as the temperatures don't go down into the teens. Since getting up into the 40's, 47 to be exact, I don't handle extreme cold very well any more.

I'm a single guy so any towns with venues to meet people, like a nice pub, tavern, etc with some personality, yet not pretenscious, would be a plus.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 10:40 AM

611 posts, read 1,458,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
My husband said the folks he met with in ABQ were complaining about the wind. He said it was just a light breeze and told them they need to come to Maine and experience real wind; esp during a good old Nor'easter in the winter. I guess we will have to judge for ourselves on that.
I played soccer for most of my time in New Mexico, and I always remember hating the wind during the spring season. We usually played our games at the complex in Bernalillo, and I don't think there was ever a game where we didn't experience some kind of fierce wind (which, of course, meant getting a lot of dust in your face).

So yeah, don't be thrown off by that light breeze - it can get pretty windy in New Mexico.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:40 PM

28 posts, read 149,075 times
It is a dry heat, and there are many nice things about that:
Sweating actually cools you off, and the sweat dries quickly.
You can stay cool all day with a mister bottle filled with water.
You can cool your home with a swamp cooler for only $30 or so a month in summer.
Your glasses never "sweat" and make rings on wood furniture.
It cools off at night greatly.
Fewer mold problems in homes.

And in the winter...
The cold doesn't go straight to your bones.
Pretty much no rust on your car.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 11,671 times
I will never forget when some family friends from NM came to visit us when we lived in Maryland. It was July or August and we all sat out on the back deck with the mosquitoes, the oppressive humidity, and the New Mexicans swearing up a storm wondering why we'd live somewhere so sweaty. I remember them marveling (maybe not quite the right word for it) at the body parts they didn't know could sweat.

It is a big difference in NM. When I was there in the summer one year it was hot but not oppressive. Also, since the subject of wind came up, one of my most vivid memories of NM from childhood is the wind kicking up the dust at baseball games. . .and the lightning storms that I loved.

Good luck in your search Icebucket, and have fun visiting and trying to decide where you want to go!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
It is a dry heat, and there are many nice things about that:
Sweating actually cools you off, and the sweat dries quickly.
You can stay cool all day with a mister bottle filled with water.
You can cool your home with a swamp cooler for only $30 or so a month in summer.
Your glasses never "sweat" and make rings on wood furniture.
It cools off at night greatly.
Fewer mold problems in homes.

And in the winter...
The cold doesn't go straight to your bones.
Pretty much no rust on your car.
Here in the SW, you can run or hike when it's over 100 degrees and you can actually start feeling kind of a cool air feeling, I guess from the sweat evaporating so fast.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:40 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,022,097 times
Lots of interesting weather talk here.

But icebucket is looking for some recommendations for towns in New Mexico where he might focus his search.

I am sure there are people here who can put in a plug or two for their favorite towns!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 PM

382 posts, read 1,227,123 times
There are soom good deals on Southwest Airlines right now from Philidelphia. I paid $259 round trip for an upcoming flight.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:16 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,286,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebucket View Post
I guess my next step is making my first visit. I only have a week (including travel time), which most likely occur within the next couple of months. I'm looking to hit a couple spots probably in Northern NM to try and get a feel for the area. I've been looking through the forum, youtube, and the internet trying to figure out where to start, but there are so many places that sound interesting..makes it tough to decide.

Since I'm scouting out places for possible relocation, I guess I would like to see some small towns near national parks or game lands. I like some greenery and mountains nearby as well, but other interesting landscapes are welcome. And snow does not bother me as long as the temperatures don't go down into the teens. Since getting up into the 40's, 47 to be exact, I don't handle extreme cold very well any more.

I'm a single guy so any towns with venues to meet people, like a nice pub, tavern, etc with some personality, yet not pretenscious, would be a plus.

Thanks again.
When you come and visit NM make sure you drive the Enchanted Circle. You will be able to see some smaller towns that meet your needs.

try this link:

The Enchanted Circle - Red River, New Mexico

Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,457,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebucket View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. It's sounds promising. I think I can most definitely deal with the temperature in NM.

Thanks again.
There are numerous other threads that discuss this, but--be forewarned--the smaller towns and rural areas of northern New Mexico can be a real culture shock to those who either are not from the region or have not spent time there. Jobs can tough to find, and--in some areas--Anglos are not especially welcomed. Going into some of the "watering holes" in some of those towns can be a, well, "interesting" experience. I have been going down into that area from rural Colorado for over 40 years, and I am used to it and like it there, but it is definitely an acquired taste.

If you are a single guy, most rural areas in the whole Rocky Mountain region may not be a great place to find a mate. In most areas, men outnumber women--often significantly.

Finally, most anyplace in New Mexico, especially northern New Mexico, will see temperatures dropping into the teens on numerous winter nights. In the higher mountains (7,500 feet and above), lows below zero are not uncommon.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:49 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Finally, most anyplace in New Mexico, especially northern New Mexico, will see temperatures dropping into the teens on numerous winter nights. In the higher mountains (7,500 feet and above), lows below zero are not uncommon.
Los Alamos was right around that elevation (some areas higher, some areas lower), and in my experience temperatures very rarely dropped below zero. Teens, as you said, are very common (and almost to be expected during the winter), but there were precious few occasions where the temperature got into the negatives. It happened, for sure, but it wasn't a regular occurrence.

It's entirely possible that other areas of the state are different, but this was my experience in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico