Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 03:38 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,711,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
As a caveat to EnjoyEP's post ... I have to add my opinion about the other side of the coin.

If you consider any cities / towns from ABQ to the southern border, you should be prepared for heat. A lot of heat in the summer.

I have seen people on here for several years try to say the southern part of the state is "warm". Well, yeah it's warm all right, VERY WARM. And some of us from colder climates need to be aware that that heat of southern NM can be draining over the course of a long summer.

Yes, the humidity is low. No, it doesn't get as hot as Phoenix. BUT I would check it out if you are looking for a warm climate - go to Las Cruces in July or August and see if you like weather that hot.
I don't disagree with Towanda's post really at all.

A few points though:

-Silver City is a bizarre climate; it is as warm, if not warmer, than ABQ in the winter, however, in the summer isn't even as hot as ABQ and often barely scratches the 90s for highs and tons of 80s...almost more Santa Fe-like summer temps.

-I do agree that all of the towns mentioned in Central / Southern NM for the most part (except my above notation on Silver City) do get quite hot in the summertime. Not anywhere near Phoenix/Tucson type of heat - and to varying levels of heat (obviously Cruces is the hottest, along with a Carlsbad, etc.), but yes, you'll get scorchers in ABQ, Socorro, TorC, etc.

But to me, the OP comes across (and please correct me / forgive me if I am wrong OP) as a northerner looking to relo to NM - in part at least - looking for warmer weather than what he/she is experiencing in the north. This isn't uncommon at all, in fact, it is terribly common for a huge factor in the whole "snowbird" migration factor to the Sun Belt over the past number of decades. Heck, I am one of them. I never would've relo'd away from Milwaukee to Albuquerque if ABQ had a similarly cold winter to Milwaukee...while ABQ has many other wonderful attributes going for it other than its weather, at the end of the day, a lot of folks looking to leave the north look to do so for warmer climes.

This is how the OP sounds to me, and again, forgive/correct me if I am wrong OP! I just think with them talking about "dry heat" and then noting that the teens are too cold for their ideal tastes and that they tolerate the heat better than the cold, they'd be sadly disappointed with Northern New Mexico.

I guess a part of what I am driving at: it is true that Central / Southern NM can get quite hot in the summer. But I guess as I gauge typical "northerner" perceptions - or national perceptions of New Mexico - that is fairly *in line* with their perception, and I am guessing the OP has the similar perception. Folks often think that "New Mexico" and "Arizona" are big, hot deserts. Contrarily, I rarely (maybe never) have heard a perception of New Mexico (if you would be talking even Northern NM) as mountainous/cool/cold climate, even though for a large chunk of the state, it really is. Just like "Arizona" is not a "hot" climate. Sure, Phoenix, Tucson, Yuma, etc., are, and to a lesser degree Prescott and Sedona, etc., but much of it is a mountainous/cool/cold climate (such as Flagstaff, etc.).

I have just encountered so many people - so, so many people - that come to New Mexico anticipating basically mini-Phoenix's (cactus, palm trees, and swimming pools) climate-wise, and then when they see, say, Taos in the fall and see temps with highs only in the 50s and lows in the 20s, they say "wow, I didn't know 'New Mexico' would ever get this cold!"

So I am kind of making my suggestions kind of reading along and between the lines of where I perceive the OP is coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Humidity Does Not Equal "More Heat"

Here is my take overall on the whole "dry heat" versus "humid heat" thing that is often debated or discussed on various subforums in the entire CD forum.

I just recently got done with a 4+ year stint of summers in Albuquerque. In those years, I often spent many long stretches of summer in even-hotter El Paso, TX and Las Cruces, NM, and even hotter Phoenix, AZ; I have also summer'd in similarly blazing hot Las Vegas, NV.

Now, I am back in the humid summer Midwest. Granted, Milwaukee's summers are not nearly as hot - or prolonged humid as the central or southeastern portion of the nation, but like Chicago and the Twin Cities, we do get a good dose occasionally of very oppressively high humidities. We recently went through a stretch where we had dew points in the mid-to-low 70s and high-60s. (And remember *dew points* are really want dictate comfort levels, not humidity levels/percentages). Anyway, the high-60s-to-mid-70s dew points we were having are downright Southeastern/Gulf Coast esque (again, granted ours last much shorter and typically accompanied by temperatures 5 or 6 degrees cooler).

Anyway, I have experienced plenty of dew points similarly as high along with temps in the 90s - in both Milwaukee and in travels in the Southeast.

The thing that annoys me about Heat Indexes or perceptions of folks on these forums is that in my strong opinion, I don't think humidity levels with high temps *feel* any "HOTTER" than dry heat with similar temps. In fact, I sometimes almost feel like the intense, baking sun heat of the Southwest feels hotter.

YET...humidity is far more UNCOMFORTABLE. To sweat like crazy for no reason. To come into a house where even things inside feel kind of damp/wet. To go outdoors and feel wetness in the breezes, etc. It isn't *hotter* (so no heat index, a sultry 93 does NOT feel like 104 at all), but it IS much more *uncomfortable* or *unpleasant* if you will.

I am sorry, if you are in the direct rays of 90+ degree heat in the desert, it feels dang hot. In many ways, that oven effect feels even hotter than a somewhat stifled/clouded humid 90+. But again, heat and comfortability are two very different things that for some reason get tied into one. To me, it is clear that dry heat is just as hot as humid heat, but it is more pleasant (although still maybe not necessarily pleasant compared to the desert at 75 degrees).

I agree with these two bottom-noted quotes from earlier posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
protect against the direct impact of the sun -- there is simply less stuff -- atmosphere, pollution, water vapour -- between you and the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
The dryness and intensity of the heat takes some getting used to. I was at an outdoor wedding reception east of Albuquerque this weekend. It was attended by family from New Orleans. They were dying from the intensity of the sun, the lack of humidity, and the dust. Their eyes, nasal passages, and skin were giving them fits. If you are coming from a very humid climate there are some adjustments to be made, and skin protection is necessary.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:26 PM

286 posts, read 1,322,073 times
EnjoyEP, you make some very good points. Like Icebucket, I grew up in SE PA - outside Philly, and then lived in various East Coast areas, where summers were ridiculously hot and the humidity levels make it hard to breathe outside, because the air is so oppresive. Moving to NM was a drastic change, and one for the better. The sun is sharper, but for me, the heat is more tolerable. If I'm outside in the sun and feel hot, I look for shade, or head back in.

As to the Northern parts of the state, I'm on the Enchanted Circle, at 7500 feet. The summers are great - 80 degrees is a warm day here, but we have plenty of sun, so I wear lots of sunscreen. TRUTH TIME: The winters are definitely COLD - our coldest was -20 one morning, and many mornings were below zero as we headed out the door. However, it didn't seem as biting cold as when I lived back east and froze waiting for the train with temps in the 20's. Definitely due to lack of humidity - I don't get that cold into my bones feeling here.

We also get SNOW - we still have snow at the top of the mountains and it's June 11th. The road crews are out and clearing the roads quickly, so we never had a day where we were snowed in. I'm not a cold lover - but, I guess I've gotten used to colder climates. It's not for everyone, but the beauty of the mountains is what draws people up north.

Icebucket, a trip up to Northern NM is well worth the time. Give yourself 2 days to explore up north on the Enchanted Circle - just the drive up from ABQ is a 1/2 day in itself, and a drive that is well worth the time. However, if you are looking for "warm" temps to relocate, I'd stay closer to ABQ. Just remember - Northern NM makes a WONDERFUL getaway location!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:35 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,263 times
EnjoyEP, I see your point--esp. since you're coming from the Midwest. However, if it is 95 degrees with 90+% humidity, it is hot and miserable. I lived in Tallahassee for 10 years, and it got downright miserable there in the summer, and I love the heat. The worst part was that it didn't cool off in the evening. We'd get our afternoon thunderstorm and it would turn into a sauna. I never understood why people enjoyed relaxing in saunas!

However, I wouldn't suggest that someone move to New Mexico if they don't like the sun a lot! The sun is much stronger here. It's funny. I hear people around ABQ complaining about the heat, but I just don't get it. I know it's hot, but I don't think it's miserable at all. I mean, this is New Mexico, it is supposed to get hot, right? We are very happy with our swamp cooler, and haven't even had to turn it on that much yet. I haven't had to run my a/c in my car at all.

I love it. The only bad part is that I have to coat myself in sunscreen, wear a hat, and wear sunglasses--all the time. That's o.k., though. I just love feeling that hot sun on my skin!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopelp View Post
EnjoyEP, I see your point--esp. since you're coming from the Midwest. However, if it is 95 degrees with 90+% humidity, it is hot and miserable
Well, when its 95 degrees, you WONT have 90% humidity. The only times you get humidity readings like that is in the morning or late at night, when the temps are cool and nice. On the rare days in Chicago when it gets that hot, humidity is in the 30-50% range, which makes it feel quite sticky. On the days when its that warm and the humidity creeps into the 60% range, it feels downright tropical. Ick!!!! Like EnjoyEP said, it doesnt stick around long though. We just had a 4 day upper 80 degree stint with high humidity, then its gone, back into the 70s with low humidity and it feels Heavenly.

The difference between NM and eastern states is that NM gets very warm and stays very warm, even though its bone dry. The sun in the SW states feels intense, MUCH warmer than the midwest, so even though the temps are dry, it just feels hotter, even with the lack of moisture in the air. Driving through NM last June w/o a/c was a exercise in humility. We were burnin and cussin on the way to AZ, aching for cooler midwestern temperatures. You know, the kind of air that when you put your arm out the window it actually cools down instead of feeling like someone was holding a hair dryer to your skin. Anyways, we went to PHX and its God-awful 116 degrees and when we came back through NM, it was more tolerable, even though it was hot. But compared to PHX, ABQ was a dream come true. When we got back to IL and had 70 degree temps, I was, believe it or not, chilled to the bone. But after 2 days I had acclimated back to our temps and never again will I call IL hot, at least not on the same level as the desert SW. The good thing is that in the SW, your sweat dries quicker, but you sweat more. I would be soaked to the bone in AZ, then sit in the shade for 10 minutes and almost be dry again. Just make sure you bring LOTS of water when youre out and about in the SW, the dry air sucks the moisture right out of you and things can get real dangerous real fast if youre not prepared. I can hike here in IL for 8 hours in the hottest heat on record and only drink 2 bottles of water. If I pulled that in AZ, Id probably die from heat exhaustion/dehydration in 1/2 that time if I wasnt careful.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,252 times
I guess it depends on opinion. I find heat, dry or humid very uncomfortable.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I agree with you 100%, Mimzy.

I gave you reputation points for that statement.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,160 times
The thing about 100+ degrees in Las Cruces is that you can get significant relief by finding some shade. Conversely, being out in the middle of the blacktop in a Walmart parking lot you feel very exposed. In New Orleans you don't get any relief except by finding some air conditioning.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopelp View Post
EnjoyEP, I see your point--esp. since you're coming from the Midwest. However, if it is 95 degrees with 90+% humidity, it is hot and miserable. I lived in Tallahassee for 10 years, and it got downright miserable there in the summer, and I love the heat.
Nope, totally agreed again penelope. I fully agree - 95 degrees with swelteringly high humidity in Florida is certainly less comfortable / enjoyable than 95 degrees in Albuquerque. But I think the key word should be *COMFORT* - not *HEAT*.

Some would argue it is just word symantics or nitpicking, but I don't think so. I think it is misleading when weather folks (and now us laypeople) dwell so hard on Heat Indexes. I think it is silly to say that "currently it is 94 degrees in Orlando, but with humidity it FEELS like it is 105!" and then say "it is also currently 94 degrees in Albuquerque, but it FEELS like it is 90!"

Bull. Both "feel" like they are 94. It is just that ABQ's dry 94, while very hot, feels much more COMFORTABLE / PLEASANT, than Orlando's 94. They both are equally hot...one version of the heat is just much more comfortable (the dry version).

Old 06-11-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I agree with you 100%, Mimzy.
And see guys, I totally uderstand and respect that! Absolutely.

While I myself personally prefer warmer than colder, I surely recognize those that prefer colder (and honestly, sometimes see the virtues of it too!).

So it isn't like I am "arguing" "against Northern NM" due to colder/cooler temps...I definitely am not. In fact, I find for a cooler climate, Northern NM to be an absolute ideal cool climate.

My point is more that - for the folks looking to move to the "Southwest" to kind of get the "Phoenix" or "Florida" or "Albuquerque" even experience (of living somewhere warmer with less/no snow and year-round golf, etc.), they are going to be sorely in for a shock / disappointment with Northern NM.

I think one thing I am noticing is that folks like Towanda are so versed / familiar / experienced with NM, you KNOW what Santa Fe or other parts of NM are like climate-wise, so you think "of course, if someone is coming to SF, it is because they are like me and prefer a cooler clime." However, I am telling you guys...you'd be shocked / amazed at just how many people nationally think Santa Fe's climate is going to be "like Phoenix." I know, because I live amongst so many of them up here! They even are amazed that ABQ actually gets snow from time to time, thinking ABQ's climate is dead-hot like Phoenix's...it isn't.

Basically, folks from the Midwest / Northeast, etc., often don't have a concept of altitude. Thus, they think that just because they see how scorching / blazing Phoenix or Vegas are, since ABQ or Taos or Flagstaff or Ruidoso are all in that same general vicinity on the map, that the difference in the temps will be minimal, like say, Chicago to Indianapolis or NYC to Philly would be. They just don't grasp on the surface that even though ABQ to Santa Fe is only a short 50 miles, it can be 98 in ABQ and 89 in Santa Fe or 87 in Moriarty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico