U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2007, 09:08 PM

6 posts, read 16,483 times
MTNCat/Kallista;

Many thanks for the input! (As well as others!)

Have since decided to stay on track with Alamo. Now if I could just sell my home in AZ...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 06:41 AM

12,965 posts, read 23,013,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saringv View Post

Have since decided to stay on track with Alamo.
Saringv....If you ever have any questions about Alamo or the area there feel free to ask. Good luck on your move to Alamogordo....

Old 04-16-2007, 06:43 PM

37 posts, read 125,525 times
Default I grew up in Grants

I lived in Grants until I was 17. Basically, Grants grew with the uranium boom, but has struggled economically ever since the mining industry went belly up. There are currently three state prisions in Grants, which provide a large portion of the jobs there. My dad used to work in the mines, and a lot of his friends ended up working as cafeteria workers, etc. for the prisions.
Grants has a lot of problems with youth gangs and has high crime rates for a small town. After having grown up there, I would never put my kids through went I had to go through. There are a lot of nice people in Grants (just like anywhere), but there are also the families that move to be close to their family members who are in one of the town's three prisons. Racially, Grants is made up of 1/3 whites, 1/3 hispanics, and 1/3 native americans. I am white, and growing up, I had a lot of friends that were both hispanic and native american. However, the problems I had in school were with hispanic gangs who, to be blunt, really don't like you if you're white.
The climate in Grants is lovely. The winters are cold (6500 ft elev.), but they're also short. Grants is surrounded by mountains and public lands which are awesome if you love the outdoors.
The sad thing about Grants is that it is not a place of progress. It never grows, and there is a lot of poverty. When we moved from Grants in 1997, our house sold for $30,000 ($3,000 less than what my parents bought it for 17 years earlier).
In conclusion, (and sorry for making this so long) Grants is a nice place if you are looking for a cheap and quiet corner of the world to settle down in and enjoy nice weather and the outdoors, but its not the best place to raise a family.
If anyone has questions for me about Grants, I'll keep checking this thread.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:55 PM

49 posts, read 253,809 times
Check out page two of this forum, theres a thread about Grants, its called ... is grants safe...My hubby's father worked the mines there, the school was a prison lol and the crime is really bad there and worst now then a few years ago. My hubby grew up there. Theres a police man who visits this forum and he saids stay away.
blessings
kalli

Old 04-17-2007, 02:13 PM

25 posts, read 119,108 times
Grants is perfectly safe. There are nice & not-so-nice parts of town like anywhere else.
I love that you mentioned climate! That particular part of northwestern New Mexico (the part w/ the high elevation; 6500) has my favorite climate in the U.S. You get the kind of snowstorms that are pretty to look at, but brief and usually not dangerous. When you wake up, there is snow on the ground, but it's gone by 10 AM. The summers are so mild! The high is usually 85-90 w/ very little humidity. Summer nights, the temperature drops to 55-60.
Gallup is another town you should check out. I lived in Gallup for 3 years (about 45 minutes west of Grants; same elevation & climate). It's about the same as Grants as far as the good and the bad. I would take the warnings about crime w/ a grain of salt. These little NM towns all have high crime rates according to the "official" statistics, but in my experience they are the kinds of places where trouble only finds you if you look for it. The whole time I lived in Gallup, I would always see those kinds of warnings about the town's crime rate on these sites. However, I never witnessed anything remotely alarming. I would ask PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY LIVED THERE all their lives about why we had such a bad reputation and no one seemed to have a clue.
However, if you are raising a family:
The only word of warning I would offer is to avoid NM public schools at all costs. They are bastions of ant-white racism among the students. (I am a teacher.) Making the extreme sacrifices required to homeschool is a must.

Last edited by Rothbard; 04-17-2007 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Syntax

Old 04-17-2007, 05:04 PM

699 posts, read 1,883,037 times
I visit there for golf occasionally but I would not live there. I would try the East Mountains of Albuquerque, Ruidoso, Silver City, or Farmington. Albuquerque would be good too, unless you're trying to get to a smaller community.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:49 AM

10 posts, read 37,452 times
My sister and brother in law live in Grants. They both work at one of the local prisons. It is a very poor town but it has a lot of character. The lava flows are gorgeous, but they will cut you if you trip on them. I like Grants, but it is far away from any bigger city, so if you like and need a bigger grocery story and bigger cultural events, you might like one of the smaller towns outside of Santa Fe. I live in Las Vegas NM, and it is small, not as poor as grants, and has a lot going for it. We get snow, too.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:14 PM

4,461 posts, read 3,350,928 times
LOE-no problem getting a job in Grants or the sheriffs dept. RN-lots of jobs around.
Grants--too cld in winter, very windy.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 PM

306 posts, read 345,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisco55 View Post
All of the North Western part of the state, along with eastern Arizona and south western Colorado have quite a drinking problem.
Well thank you, the Northwestern part of New Mexico along with Southwestern Colorado and northeastern Arizona are all "INDIAN COUNTRY" so I'll take comments like this with a grain of salt. I happen to BE Choctaw so I would kind of resent the automatic assumption apparently being made that a high percent of Indians in any area means "everyone drinks a lot." WE don't ALL drink, you know. Although the fact that I DON'T drink is one of the many things that makes people think I must not BE an Indian.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM

306 posts, read 345,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothbard View Post

The only word of warning I would offer is to avoid NM public schools at all costs. They are bastions of ant-white racism among the students. (I am a teacher.) Making the extreme sacrifices required to homeschool is a must.
Thanks again for reinforcing my decision to come teach in "Indian Country."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico