Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2007, 05:30 AM

51 posts, read 208,184 times

Advertisements

Hi all,I was just wondering how one landscapes a yard in New Mexio? I will be living in Alamogordo,possibly Dog Canyon.How does one make a pretty yard without attrating bugs and critters or using much water?Also what kind of plants and trees are good to plant?I have heard that nut and fruit trees do well but it seems they would need quite a bit of water.

Also I have looked at tons of house listings and have not seen a single one with a hot tub.Why is that? Seems it would be great for the cool evenings.Also why no swimming pools? Is it the water issue? I plan to buy land and build.How does one get imformation on the property's water supply?

Thanks in advance!

Beth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 07:29 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
Hi Beth:

I am moving to Santa Fe near the end of this year. I am currently learning about xeriscape gardening, which is perfect for the climate and conditions in New Mexico. As I understand xeriscape gardening, it uses a lot of native plants as well as plants that require little water and low maintenance.

My husband gave me two excellent books by Judith Phillips last year, and I recommend them:

Natural by Design
New Mexico Gardener's Guide

They are becoming my NM gardening bibles....wonderful books!

You can probably find them online.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:40 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,042 times
Xerscaping is the way to go and also some "natural' landscaping -- maybe buffalo grass and the native plants. Low maintenance, low water use plants are the best in many areas. Lots of cactus and succulents have beautiful color blooms too -- I have an ocotillo with bright red flowers and ice plants come in various colors too.

The other thing is to use colorful pots and also tumbled glass in various colors you can put in a dry stream bed and make it look like water -- it just sparkles and is very pretty to look at.

BTW, I have a hot tub and I love it! I'd say the hot tub business does pretty well so don't know why you aren't seeing any other than price. They aren't cheap.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:57 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
A native plant that I LOVE is chamisa .... for the blue green foliage, as well as the yellow flowers and the scent.

There is a lot of chamisa already living naturally on my property in Eldorado, so that is like a huge bonus for me!

I believe chamisa grows like a weed, based on how much of it I see in NM .... it is a plant I would consider, Beth.

Sharon

Old 01-13-2007, 10:05 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Beth....you'll see lots of Fruitless Mulberry trees in Alamo and El Paso etc..as these grow very fast and provide large shade from the desert sun and also use minimal water. Another tree is the cottonwoods as they are huge in Alameda park (zoo) in Alamo hence its name Alamogordo or Large Cottonwood in spanish.Also people are importing Palm trees to the area..

You'll be out by Dog Canyon ....then i assume you'll be on wells and septic tanks. The water is scarce in Alamo as the last 10 to 12 years we've been a drought.I remember the mountain runoff at La Luz creek and Tularosa creek as these are dry now.(what a shame) but our Senator Pete Domenici has been aquiring federal funds to build a state of the art Desalinization plant in the Alamo/Tulie area...

As for info on water supply not too sure but Dog Canyon area is the county and not city jurisdiction.(otero county).Maybe asking the realators or checking the city and/or counties web sites may tell you who supplies the water but again i think its Wells out there although not a 100%....

Old 01-13-2007, 12:17 PM

51 posts, read 208,184 times
Hi all, thanks for all the info. I have looked up zeriscape gardening and plan to get a book recommended by towanda. I am a real outdoorsy type of gal and love to putter around outside.And Sharon thanks for your input.Blooming cactus and chasima will be great! And the colorful pots and glass sound oh so beautiful!As for the hot tubs I know they are expensive.As luck would have it I am friends with a family here that sells, installs pools and hot tubs so I got one at cost price and no installion fee. I can't see living without one as it is so good for my arthritis. Nothing like soaking in a hot tub before bedtime! Just will have to budget for one. And harry o, I can always rely on you for help!I do want trees and the ones you mentioned will fit the bill nicely! I am concerned about the water issue. It is not unusual to see sprinklers in every yard going full blast during the dry season here.My aunt and uncle actually had a well go dry and had to spend mega bucks to get water again.Don't want that to happen to me! I will have a well as I plan to live outside of town. I will make sure I check everything out.It is a true shame about the creeks running dry. I can't help but think how it must affect the plant and wild life let alone us humans.

Just one more question. Do people put in fish ponds or it is too hot during the day and too cold at night? We have them here and people actually rent fish for the summer months.Others simply place them in an aquarium for the winter.Should I leave mine behind? I don't care to keep up an aquarium year round.It must seem like I ask a lot of silly questions being as I once lived in AZ but I was young and don't remember lots of things.Thanks for being so kind as to answer my questions!You guys are great!

Old 01-14-2007, 09:16 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hersheys_mom10 View Post
.It is a true shame about the creeks running dry. I can't help but think how it must affect the plant and wild life let alone us humans.

Just one more question. Do people put in fish ponds or it is too hot during the day and too cold at night? We have them here and people actually rent fish for the summer months.Others simply place them in an aquarium for the winter.Should I leave mine behind?
You can still find creeks with water on top of the Sacramento mountains. Most are running down the back side going to Artesia in the southern part and to Roswell in the northern part...

I'm not sure about fish ponds but i'd check with the landscaping companies and/or pet shops and see what they say and recommend. I'm sure you'll need a plastic liner or the water will seep below in this type of soil out here.As far being too cold nah.. the ''Gold fish'' in the ponds at my apartment complex here in ABQ are under frozen ice during the winter months and you can see them all bunched up and never move under the ice but when it melts they are always alive to our amazement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico