U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-25-2007, 10:44 PM

477 posts, read 1,477,744 times
All the talk about Blakes green chile burgers and the mexican food and now I am hungry! New Mexico has some great food, I remember once when I visited England, it was the WORST food on earth. YUCK! I couldnt wait to get back to New Mexico and eat good food.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-26-2007, 08:17 AM

7,817 posts, read 10,472,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
All the talk about Blakes green chile burgers and the mexican food and now I am hungry! New Mexico has some great food, I remember once when I visited England, it was the WORST food on earth. YUCK! I couldnt wait to get back to New Mexico and eat good food.
LOL!!! I hear you! Protect me from bland food!!!

When I go to Europe, I will take my ground chiles with me....

Unread 05-26-2007, 09:08 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,766,824 times
You make me laugh,, When we went to the Netherlands, I had met a girl online that lived there and was from Alamogordo and I had to take her Hatch chiles(in the cans) and dried chiles. She missed them so much.
Jane

Unread 05-26-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
You make me laugh,, When we went to the Netherlands, I had met a girl online that lived there and was from Alamogordo and I had to take her Hatch chiles(in the cans) and dried chiles. She missed them so much.
Jane
If you HAVE to use canned chiles, Hatch is indeed the way to go.

I will probably be going to the Hatch Chile Festival if I am in Alamo...and get a big ole sack roasted!!!

MMMMMMMMMM....

Unread 05-26-2007, 01:01 PM

Cathy, The grocery stores and even walmart roast the chiles right outside their doors, plus other vendors on White Sands blvd. No need to go to Hatch to get Hatch chiles..LOL
Jane

Unread 05-26-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Cathy, The grocery stores and even walmart roast the chiles right outside their doors, plus other vendors on White Sands blvd. No need to go to Hatch to get Hatch chiles..LOL
Jane
Hot dang. That's even better.

They do that here, too....I had just forgotten about that....our HEB, but not Walmart.

Unread 05-27-2007, 07:53 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,598,518 times
Cathy ....don't forget Alameda Zoo ....it's a nice small Zoo off White Sands Blvd ...I think the entrance fee is around $ 2 ......all the motels are also on White Sands Blvd ....I've stayed at a few of them ....Alamo Inn ....Motel 6 ...and Holiday Inn ....south of town is one of my favorite NM state parks ...Oliver Lee .....good hiking trail thru Dog Canyon ...though might be abit hot this time of year ....I personally liked the newer housing in south end of Alamogordo ...with homes backing onto golf course ....nice older homes too just off Scenic .....I really like Alamogordo ....great weather too ...temps similiar to Midland-Odessa ...but a touch cooler and less variability than you get east of the mtns on the high plains ....Farmington...while a nice place too ...is significantly colder in the winter ....

Unread 05-27-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Cathy ....don't forget Alameda Zoo ....it's a nice small Zoo off White Sands Blvd ...I think the entrance fee is around $ 2 ......all the motels are also on White Sands Blvd ....I've stayed at a few of them ....Alamo Inn ....Motel 6 ...and Holiday Inn ....south of town is one of my favorite NM state parks ...Oliver Lee .....good hiking trail thru Dog Canyon ...though might be abit hot this time of year ....I personally liked the newer housing in south end of Alamogordo ...with homes backing onto golf course ....nice older homes too just off Scenic .....I really like Alamogordo ....great weather too ...temps similiar to Midland-Odessa ...but a touch cooler and less variability than you get east of the mtns on the high plains ....Farmington...while a nice place too ...is significantly colder in the winter ....
Thanks for the tips, LRUA....much appreciated!! As far as Farmington being a lot colder in the winter, that is what I LIKE...and one of the reasons I'm torn about Alamo is the fact that the temps and climate ARE similar to what they are here, which means HOT summers. Farmington can get hot, too, but it gets hotter later and ends sooner, much shorter summers.

But.....I'll keep an open mind about the whole area. This little voice keeps telling me to check it out further, and I tend to listen, LOL!!! The housing is SO much more affordable, from what I've seen.

I will be at Comfort Inn on White Sands, where I stayed last time. It has internet access and not-too-bad prices, though I hate paying for motel rooms!!!!

Unread 05-27-2007, 10:14 AM

3,062 posts, read 5,691,276 times
It seems strange to me that Alamogordo could be so much cheaper for home prices than Farmington.

What is the reason that Farmington has such high prices? Usually in the rest of NM, the prices are lower in more rural/isolated areas, which I would consider Farmington to be.

I STILL picture you moving to a cool climate, Cathy. I am hoping you can find homes in both places that are affordable so that you can really have a choice between the two different areas.

Good luck on your trip!

Unread 05-27-2007, 10:22 AM

Cathy,
Cloudcroft is 20 degrees cooler than Alamo, And High Rolls 10. So if you want cooler, think along those lines.
Good luck on the hunt..
Jane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico