U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 PM

824 posts, read 1,755,627 times
Default Roswell Chile or Chili

I would think its better if you leave the Peeling on when you freeze Green Chili because its too much work peeling and putting in Freezer Bags and who knows it might taste better also. And if you dont eat very much chili one or two a day that you have to peel with your meal is not much. I love Green Chili with eggs and bacon or meat in the Mornings. Dont forget the Garlic. If you want to drain most of the water on them before you freeze them they wont be so Slimy also when you open a bag try to use it up in a weeks time so half a Freezer bag might work out for some people. Remove as many seeds as you can before freezing. Freshly roasted chili if you let it Sweat for a few hours after roasted the Peeling will fall off a Good roaster knows how to Roast green Chile if it cools too fast while Roasting the skin will break up into pieces and it will be hard to peel. To Get to the GRAVES Farm or The DOBSON Farm they are not far from Each other take South Atkinson along the Railroad track and you will run into both of these Farms just south of Roswell. Also we always hear of Hatch Chili but the Red Chili Powder of Chile De Chimayo from north of Santa Fe is Very Tasty....P.S. Chile De Chimayo has a Great flavor even if i can never find the extra Hot. Also the Chili from around Melrose, Portales has a Great Taste also depends on Preference in Taste. Green Chili will be advertised when its ready in the Roswell T.Nickel. for the Dobson and Graves Farm. I dont like they way they roast at Wal Mart or Smith and the Green Chili is not Hot. pintada kid At webtv.net
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 PM
TKO

702 posts, read 1,438,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
So do you have tips for beginners? We've only been in NM for a year and had NO experience with green chile prior to moving here. Last fall we got the $10/30lb box with free fire roasting at Smiths and I spent hours that night peeling and bagging and freezing. My husband thought I was crazy but then the chile was gone by January.

That was a duller color though, lost a lot of the green and yes, slimy. And I loved it! I didn't realize it could be better. How do you know when you are done roasting? Do you peel before freezing?

Definetely freeze them with the skin on, that way they sit in that charbroiled delicousness until you use them. It makes getting one or two out much easier too. You don't have to thaw the whole bag.

They're done roasting when the skin is just bubbled up from the meat of the chile, it doesn't have to be all black - matter of fact I know of people who steam them and that works too, but you don't get the wonderful charred flavor.

Smith's chile's could be hit or miss I prefer to get them from the farmer. Takes out the middle man too. Enjoy!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:38 PM

8,542 posts, read 11,786,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
So do you have tips for beginners? We've only been in NM for a year and had NO experience with green chile prior to moving here. Last fall we got the $10/30lb box with free fire roasting at Smiths and I spent hours that night peeling and bagging and freezing. My husband thought I was crazy but then the chile was gone by January.

That was a duller color though, lost a lot of the green and yes, slimy. And I loved it! I didn't realize it could be better. How do you know when you are done roasting? Do you peel before freezing?
So you like the slimy, huh? LOL!! Most people do.

There is no need to peel them before freezing at all. They last better unpeeled. I roast, put on ice (to stop the cooking), and vacuum-seal 6 per package. They are easier to peel after freezing and thawing.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:32 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,063,150 times
::rubbing hands gleefully::

I can't wait for the fresh chiles, green AND red. I have some 'traditional' southern recipes I plan to experiment with.

I was kidding about the George Forman grill (it's still in the box), but hey, guess I'll try it now!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:38 PM

28 posts, read 119,800 times
Ok that's good to know. We are going to get more boxes this year (they were at Smiths but they were HATCH chiles) and I wasn't looking forward to 9 straight hours of peeling! We hadn't really thought about going straight the farmer because we are in Farmington and it seems most of the growers are way, way down south. Gas prices, you know?

I am excited for it already. We were putting chile in everything for a while there but it ran out fast.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:11 AM

Default Ruing Red Chile ... Guisando?

Does anyone have a good Technique and what are your ingredients? pintada kid @ webtv.net

Old 07-03-2008, 08:13 AM

8,542 posts, read 11,786,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
I would think its better if you leave the Peeling on when you freeze Green Chili because its too much work peeling and putting in Freezer Bags and who knows it might taste better also. And if you dont eat very much chili one or two a day that you have to peel with your meal is not much. I love Green Chili with eggs and bacon or meat in the Mornings. Dont forget the Garlic. If you want to drain most of the water on them before you freeze them they wont be so Slimy also when you open a bag try to use it up in a weeks time so half a Freezer bag might work out for some people. Remove as many seeds as you can before freezing. Freshly roasted chili if you let it Sweat for a few hours after roasted the Peeling will fall off a Good roaster knows how to Roast green Chile if it cools too fast while Roasting the skin will break up into pieces and it will be hard to peel. To Get to the GRAVES Farm or The DOBSON Farm they are not far from Each other take South Atkinson along the Railroad track and you will run into both of these Farms just south of Roswell. Also we always hear of Hatch Chili but the Red Chili Powder of Chile De Chimayo from north of Santa Fe is Very Tasty....P.S. Chile De Chimayo has a Great flavor even if i can never find the extra Hot. Also the Chili from around Melrose, Portales has a Great Taste also depends on Preference in Taste. Green Chili will be advertised when its ready in the Roswell T.Nickel. for the Dobson and Graves Farm. I dont like they way they roast at Wal Mart or Smith and the Green Chili is not Hot. pintada kid At webtv.net
Thanks for the info on the farms! I'll be sure and check at least one of those out if I don't find what I want in town to take home!

As for letting the chile sit after roasting....that is what contributes to the sliminess to me. They go on ice immediately after I roast (I keep a big stainless bowl going). I just place the chiles on the ice, then bag that batch, place in freezer, and then roast the next. Since I do my own, I don't char them so much that the skin breaks into pieces most of the time.

Chimayó is my favorite red chile, and I wish I could grow it down here, but it is a variety developed for the northern part of the state (a "land race", if you will....just like Dixon and Velarde, etc.). I have grown it in hot WT (similar climate here in Alamo, but cooler nights and not as hot). Grown in a hot area, the pods are undersized and fewer in number. I always try to get the Chimayó ground red powder. Bueno Foods has it in red puree in the freezer section at Walmart and Lowe's here. I haven't tried it yet, but will soon.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:02 AM

Default Help Me Pintada Kid

I usually just answer people posts but i would like to post my own how do i do it with webtv? Thanks pintada kid webtv.net

Old 07-05-2008, 07:40 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,283,081 times
The Pintada Kid is right on regarding Chimayo Chile. I have found it very tasty, and even if it is not that hot, I love it. Actually I'm starting to become more fond of not so hot, but better tasting chiles.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:46 AM

48 posts, read 87,598 times
I concur with the Chimayo red chile puree, it may be the tastiest around. I make a mocha, a hot chocolate & coffee drink. Add just a dash of red chile, delish!

For a dessert that's really yummy, try a hot fudge sundae topped with roasted pistachios and chopped green chiles. Dry the chiles slightly on a paper towel. Unbelievably good!

Yesterday, at the Mescalero 4th of July, I enjoyed a mutton & green chile sandwich served on fry bread. To die for tasty!

Hello, my name is Sparkey and I am a chilehead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico