Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times

Advertisements

Oh my goodness, bacich, it sounds like you are going to be having one great adventure!

Which, hopefully, you will be chronicling for all of us right here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 10:56 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller View Post
Hi Bacich

Good luck on your move!! I presently live in South Jersey and work in Phila. and will be moving to NM in January. Any tips you can share on your move and trek across country (I too am planning to drive) will be greatly appreciated!! Hope all goes well!!
I drove across country with my two dogs - Coco and Elly - from North NJ to Las Cruces this past January. The trip took three full days and despite my fears (terror, really) they did great.

The one thing I would recommend is to take the 'southern' route that time of the year. I took I-78 to I-81 and then picked up I-40, I-30, I-20 and finally I-10. I didn't hit bad weather (rain) until I crossed into Texas.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:57 PM

8 posts, read 28,227 times
I have been offered a job in working in the Carlsbad area, should be there July 29 or so, 2008 and I am looking for temporary housing until I can find something for when my family arrives later.
Also any information about the area, like quality of life (things to do), schools, etc would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Old 07-16-2008, 04:58 PM

70 posts, read 214,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduly View Post
Congratulations on your move to Zuni Pueblo. It's been raining here for the past 4 days. We are starting our summer rain dances, so you can probably catch some dances. We will be having the Zuni Fair on August 28-31, so you can enjoy the food and dances. Plus the 87th Inter-Tribal Gallup Indian Ceremonial will begin in August. You are probably going to the new teacherage housing. They are really nice. What are you going to be teaching?
Dear bigduly,
Thanks, I'm teaching art from pre-K to 5th grade. Yes I'm moving into the Teacherage. They look great! We are coming with just the clothes on our back, my art supplies, a lot of books, and a blow up bed. Do you know of any used furnature places? I'm looking forward to learning all I can about the Pueblo. This has been a dream of mine for some time. Will smeone help me learn phrases in Zuni? I understand that many children do not speak English. Art is a universal lanuage. I once taught Spanish speaking students who were learning English. Using the eyebrows a lot worked well with them.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:33 AM

127 posts, read 555,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacich View Post
Dear bigduly,
Thanks, I'm teaching art from pre-K to 5th grade. Yes I'm moving into the Teacherage. They look great! We are coming with just the clothes on our back, my art supplies, a lot of books, and a blow up bed. Do you know of any used furnature places? I'm looking forward to learning all I can about the Pueblo. This has been a dream of mine for some time. Will smeone help me learn phrases in Zuni? I understand that many children do not speak English. Art is a universal lanuage. I once taught Spanish speaking students who were learning English. Using the eyebrows a lot worked well with them.
That's great! My little brother is going to the fourth grade. Which school will you be teaching at? Dowa Yalanne or Ashiwi? There are several used furniture stores in Gallup. Learning Zuni is not that hard. I'll get you started. Hello=Keshi, Good bye=Deh'la'up'ba. I think most Zuni children learn English first. Good luck on the upcoming school year.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:38 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,922 times
Quote:
We're moving to the Zuni Pueblo to teach. They have housing at low cost for the staff. Check it out by going to Zuni Pueblo Schools. Bacich
Bacich, what a great website (http://www.zpsd.org/Zuni/index.htm - broken link) they have. I've just spent some time taking various virtual tours and looking at slideshows. It's gorgeous country, and the kids are all cute! Thanks for the link.

I hope you are taking a digital camera and that you will consider writing a blog about your experiences. You really do have a rare opportunity here... Congratulations and good luck!

~clairz

Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduly View Post
That's great! My little brother is going to the fourth grade. Which school will you be teaching at? Dowa Yalanne or Ashiwi? There are several used furniture stores in Gallup. Learning Zuni is not that hard. I'll get you started. Hello=Keshi, Good bye=Deh'la'up'ba. I think most Zuni children learn English first. Good luck on the upcoming school year.
Keshi bigduly,
I'll be teaching at 2 elementary schools one week at a time. One is pre-K and up. I think I'm teaching at both schools. I'm already thinking of projects related to Native American Themes. Thank you for the language. I'm bringing my collestion of Native American story and design books. I would like to do all kinds of media. I'm very good at making art from found things. My favorite type of art is weaving. I would very much like to meet your brother. I could use a friend in this new place. Thanks again. Bacich

Old 07-17-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Bacich, what a great website (http://www.zpsd.org/Zuni/index.htm - broken link) they have. I've just spent some time taking various virtual tours and looking at slideshows. It's gorgeous country, and the kids are all cute! Thanks for the link.

I hope you are taking a digital camera and that you will consider writing a blog about your experiences. You really do have a rare opportunity here... Congratulations and good luck!

~clairz
Dear clairz,
We will be getting a digital camera. We are film photographers. I taught in Phila with a dark room and my husband learned photography in the Navy. He taught me and he takes wonderful pictures. I can't think of anything better than working with kids. My former students are e-mailing me about their summer. I'm still pinching myself that this is really all finally happening. I was worried about my house in Phila and a friend needed a place to stay. Things have just been coming together.
I'm support member of the Phila. Chapter of Tuskegee Airmen. The National Convention is in Phila. this weekend. I was at the mayor's reception for them this evening. I finally got to meet not only the mayor but very famous airmen. The snacks were great. Bacich

Old 07-18-2008, 09:05 AM

127 posts, read 555,192 times
Quote:
Keshi bigduly,
I'll be teaching at 2 elementary schools one week at a time. One is pre-K and up. I think I'm teaching at both schools. I'm already thinking of projects related to Native American Themes. Thank you for the language. I'm bringing my collestion of Native American story and design books. I would like to do all kinds of media. I'm very good at making art from found things. My favorite type of art is weaving. I would very much like to meet your brother. I could use a friend in this new place. Thanks again. Bacich
Keshi, wow both schools. That's great. You won't be disappointed. The Zuni children are talented artists, since the community is mostly into some type of art. I'm sure my little brother will be in your class. Have a safe trip down here.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:45 PM

6 posts, read 19,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
The rescue remedy works wonders. We have a lab mix, highly energetic and put some into a snack. It kept her calm. We also put some into the parrots water.
Guys, I'm new to the forum, but just a thought: look on the back of the Rescue Remedy bottle. It is a tincture of herbs in alcohol. I'm not sure it's the herbs so much as the alcohol, and it's not always a safe thing to get the dogs drunk. If you're getting health certificates anyway, why don't just ask your vet to recommend something he/she knows to be safe (like benadryl or a mild Rx sedative.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico