Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 PM

13 posts, read 47,116 times

Advertisements

I'm coming down from BC, Canada next week for a 2-week holiday. I used to live in ABQ, but it was many years ago -- although I visit every 2 years (do need my chile fix!)

I'm going to Santa Fe just for Spanish Market (never been, just have been to Indian Market). And in ABQ for a few days. But I've done many of the tourist things; and this time I'd like to go south, which I'm not terribly familiar with. I was wondering if folks could suggest their favorite places, shops, restaurants, activities that might not be the regular recommendations for tourists, but that they appreciate as residents, anywhere from SF to Deming.

I'm a gardener, photographer, writer, animal lover, and adore long drives. Not afraid of heat or wind. I love ruins, Mexican anything, and speak Spanish passably.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 01:04 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,606,150 times
These places are not secret, but they are fun to visit:

1) The Gila Wilderness and the Gila Cliff Dwelling ruins. 2) Three Rivers Campground and the petroglyphs there. 3) The Very Large Array. 4) White Sands National Monument (get out of your car and hike until all you see is dunes and mountains). 5) The No Scum Allowed Saloon in White Oaks (only open on Friday-Sun from Noon till-???) 6) Inn of the Mountain Gods on the Mescalero Apache Reservation. 7) Ruidoso. 8) Owl Bar & Cafe, San Antonio, NM (For a green-chile cheeseburger). 9) The Billy the Kid Museum in Fort Sumner, NM. 10) The New Mexico Museum of Space History in Alamogordo, NM.

One sort of secret is the hot springs in the Gila Wilderness. They are very nice, but you need to do some research. I'm not telling you where my spots are though, or else all kinds of folks will be there next time I go.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:14 PM

13 posts, read 47,116 times
Default Thanks -- much appreciated!

A good combination of indoor and outdoor -- thanks very much!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:48 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,974,222 times
Wink Not exactly secret

Since you mentioned Chiles, you might want to visit Hatch, NM where so many of them are grown. Can't attest what you'll find there other than a lot of fields, although possibly some tourist attractions.

If more interested in scenery, you might wish to depart I-25 just south of Truth or Consequences, NM on NM 152. This will take you through the small and somewhat quaint village of Hillsboro, NM. It will also result in an interesting but mountainous drive, and certainly not the most direct route into Deming, NM. Near Mimbres, NM you can turn south towards Deming. The route through Mimbres towards the Gila is interesting as well, if you don't mind spending the time.

You mentioned south, but if in Santa Fe, NM I just have to include Ojo Caliente, NM, which is a relatively short drive north of there on US 285. There is a commercial hot spring there baring the same name as the small town. It is fairly unique in having a variety of different pools, each sourced from different types of water (different mineral content). A lovely ambience there, both locals and people from around the globe. If you have the slightest interest in such things, you'll surely love it.

Oh, by the way, BC is a beautiful province.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:19 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
The Cumbres & Toltec Railroad in Chama is on my "must do" list for our next NM vacation and/or eventual relocation.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:19 AM

946 posts, read 3,260,046 times
Default combination platter

Since you are interested in art, you might want to see Abiquiu -- the spectacular scenery attracted and inspired Georgia O'Keefe. You can combine this with earlier suggestions, driving north from Santa Fe to Ojo Caliente, Abiquiu, and then Chama.

I assume that you know of the Georgia O'Keefe Museum right off the plaza.

Spectacular scenery and real close to Santa Fe -- then drive on SR 502 up to Los Alamos. Millions of years of volcanic activity layered down 1,500 feet of mesa -- each layer a different color and texture. Since then wind and water have cut canyons through these layers and exposed them to view. The road up to Los Alamos is literally scratched out of the side of a cliff and you look across and see the colored layers on the other side of the canyon.

When you get to the top you can
1. turn around and go back down -- the views are different going down.
2. go through Los Alamos and do the loop on route 4 back stopping to see the cliff dwellings at Bandelier.
3. go thru Los Alamos and take 503 into the Jemez seeing the Caldera.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 07-18-2008 at 09:33 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 01:26 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,606,150 times
I forgot to mention Carlsbad Caverns. That's a good place to visit too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico