U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:37 PM

7,270 posts, read 16,881,084 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping not to see either one of them close up but it's not going to stop me from walking or hiking. I need my exercise or I get grumpy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 AM

5,171 posts, read 4,759,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
If you see a People Friendly Bear or Mountain Lion up Close and manage to get away without becoming Food for them especially now that they are Trying to Get their Quota of Food for the Winter it will Change the Way you look at Hiking in the Mountains. el pintada kid
I've seen dozens of bear and two mountain lions. All the bears had the good sense to run away, and the mountain lions looked bored.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:40 PM

51 posts, read 98,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I've seen dozens of bear and two mountain lions. All the bears had the good sense to run away, and the mountain lions looked bored.
I've seen multiples of each (including 2 grizzlies) and never had a problem either. I think the only time I might have been at risk was a day that _I_ was being stupid.

I was in CO on a ranch walking around and heard some coyotes goin nuts. I decided to "sneak" (for me sneaking means I don't jump around yelling and screaming) through the woods to see if I could get close enough to see what was up. Pretty soon based on the sound I thought I was within seeing distance but hadn't spotted anything yet so I climbed up on a rather large rock to get a better view. Sure enough here came a coyote towards my rock at a dead run, with something right behind it. Initial glance I thought it was just another coyote, but no it was a lion. They ran right by the rock I was standing on, close enough that I could have stepped off on top of them if I'd wanted. Fortunately I think I did the correct thing, rather than move or make a ruckus and distract an aggressive mode cat from its current subject of interest, I stayed still and let them run on by.

My theory is that there was some type of kill a bit farther on, and the coyotes and cat were having a dissagreement as to ownership. That would explain the obviously aggressive 'yote sounds.

Either way, I took that as my cue to an alternate location. I wouldn't have missed the chance to see that for the world, but do realize there was risk involved. The closeness, and attitude of the cat in question definately made me want to be elsewhere.

That was a good trip by the way. Earlier I was riding around with my dad, we were following a fenceline of the property, and the other side of the fence was owned byLouis L'Amour. We saw a lion far down in a valley, and my dad commented that seeing such a big cat anymore was maybe a once in a lifetime occurance. LOL Then I saw the one from 3 feet away the next day, then several more while we lived in Montana. Boy I miss those places still, but don't miss the 3 zillion feet of snow, and sub zero temps.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:49 PM

7,270 posts, read 16,881,084 times
Are they more likely to come out more now that the weather is getting cooler or does the weather even matter?

Old 10-24-2008, 12:10 AM

51 posts, read 98,043 times
Depending on location and how cold it actually is, the bears will be starting to get more lethargic. They should still be in the eat everything in sight mode also though.

As for the cats, the cold doesn't matter they have to eat anyway. During really bad weather they'll hole up and ride it out, but other than that they have to eat with the same frequency as any other time of the year so will still be active through the winter.

I actually wonder if they may not have to be MORe active in the winter months. Does cold make one burn more calories? I'm pretty sure that deep snow navigation would. Course snow makes them easier to see, and easier to spot tracks so you know if one is in the area.

Either way it still boils down to paying attention to your surroundings so you don't get a big surprise. Theres more chance of a fall injury, or sudden weather changes and whatnot so try not to stress too much about it. I've seen TONS of game of various types, and the only time I was actually scared was with a moose. Even the lion incident wasn't that worrysome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Are they more likely to come out more now that the weather is getting cooler or does the weather even matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico