U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 08:42 PM

7,064 posts, read 11,315,494 times
Yep, I figured if I minded my own business, the animals would leave me alone but I've heard some stories of people getting attacked.
Where do you get the bear spray and does it work on mountain lions too? I think that I'm more concerned about the lions here. The bears apparently don't bother anyone but I still don't want to see one up close. I have great respect for all wildlife.
Thanks to you all for answering these questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 09:17 PM

215 posts, read 525,039 times
You can get spray at a gun shop, but I order mine online. You can get large canisters for large animals, and/or you can get smaller ones that are easy to carry everywhere (around town, shopping, etc.) for dogs or thugs. The stuff should work on lions too, but if you're that close, it might be too late. Look for a can with a range of 15-20 feet. The stuff I've seen at gun shops generally shoots only 10 feet.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:44 PM

550 posts, read 931,805 times
Thumbs up Bear Spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Yep, I figured if I minded my own business, the animals would leave me alone but I've heard some stories of people getting attacked.
Where do you get the bear spray and does it work on mountain lions too? I think that I'm more concerned about the lions here. The bears apparently don't bother anyone but I still don't want to see one up close. I have great respect for all wildlife.
Thanks to you all for answering these questions.
Song it is very effective on bears I think it would really work on the mountain lions. Thought they will usually stalk their prey and like the weak or sick animals. For the most part are more scared of us than we are of them. When I was in AK. we had a Grizzly come into the pipeline camp. One of the guys grap two cans of the stuff ran straight at the bear and let him have it. The bear turned tale and ran off screaming. It is pepper spray made from habenaros, the hottest pepper. Worked great!

Old 07-19-2008, 09:56 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,614,838 times
I'm scared of mtn. lions too. Really the only animal I am really scared of (besides humans!). I'm 5'2", so I'm on the borderline of "easy prey" for them. Its not a cut and dry cut-off, but I read once were biologists figure humans around 5'0" or 5'1" and smaller get stalked more. That was a few years ago that I read that, though.

Umm... there hasn't been any sitings around Cloudcroft lately, has there?

Old 07-20-2008, 04:11 AM

139 posts, read 312,592 times
Thumbs up i wonder about hiking with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Just walking around Timberon and getting somewhat lost, I've ended up on no trails whatsoever but found my way back to the road.
Thanks for the trail advice.
Get yourself a compass,know how to use it , be aware of your surroundings. Now, an interesting thought, wonder if carrying a taser would scare the heck outta most preditors? maybe we need to google that one, enjoy, hiking is addictive, and a healthy gift .

Old 07-20-2008, 09:05 AM

215 posts, read 525,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
there hasn't been any sitings around Cloudcroft lately, has there?
I haven't seen one myself in a few years, but I've seen tracks and I've heard of other people seeing cats in the past year. No doubt they are out there, but I don't worry about it. There is plenty of wildlife for them to hunt out there, giving them less reason to prey on hikers.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:27 AM

Okay I'm 5'8" so maybe I don't have to worry about it. I'm usually aware of my surroundings but I do have a tendency to walk quietly and sneak around. I'll be more noisy when I walk.
Maybe if I start singing, they'll want to definately keep away.
My s/o and dog are usually with me too, although my dog would probably try to chase them like she does the deer.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:48 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,614,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecc View Post
I haven't seen one myself in a few years, but I've seen tracks and I've heard of other people seeing cats in the past year. No doubt they are out there, but I don't worry about it. There is plenty of wildlife for them to hunt out there, giving them less reason to prey on hikers.
I guess I don't start to worry unless there have been a few confirmed sitings. I figure if there have been some sitings, the cat might be getting interested in humans, or at least interested in the same areas as humans. Otherwise, there is a whole lot of woods; they have large territories, too.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:13 PM

12,965 posts, read 23,031,664 times
If anyone has any concerns you can call the Lincoln National Forest office in Alamogordo and one of the Rangers will assist. Certain People always posting on here saying stay out because wild animals will attack you etc... are fear mongering. Yes a person was killed in Silver city this year and before that a lady in 2001. People are killed by sharks in Florida but millions swim with no problems as thousands come to the mountains to camp and hike with no problems either.

Again just use some common semse .

Their web site and number is 575-434-7200
Lincoln National Forest - USDA Forest Service

Old 07-20-2008, 12:50 PM

Thanks Harry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico